English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 21 March 2007, 14:25   #1
Yesideez
(2b)||!(2b)

PC-Amiga-PC transfers

I've been reading through a few of the posts and quite a few people are asking about either transferring their Amiga disks to PC ADF or the other way round.

I started with a KS1.2 Amiga many years ago and progressed to an A1200 which was highly upgraded...

Anyway, without wanting to digress, I see Cross-DOS has been mentioned as has the use of RAM cards via PCMCIA but no-one has mentioned about the device PC0: on the A1200...!? Something that by editing a small text file on the A1200 could be manipulated to use any device name like PCX: etc.

I had this running on my A1200 and just before I got rid of it (about 5 years ago now I think) I spent absolutely transferring all of my demos, utilities, compo disks and source code from my Amiga HD using the aforementioned device and DMS.

If DMS wouldn't compress the entire disk enough I'd compress it into two halves (tracks 0-39 and then 39-79) copy to my PC formatted disk using PC0: and then insert into PC and copy onto my hard drive.

Anyone care to add any comments?
Old 21 March 2007, 14:37   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

PC0: is from cross dos.
Old 21 March 2007, 14:42   #3
Yesideez
(2b)||!(2b)

It is?

I can't seem to remember installing it but then again, my startup-sequence was nothing like the original once I got my hands on it, neither was Workbench
Old 21 March 2007, 14:46   #4
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

CrossDos comes as part of WB3 (maybe WB2 as well - don't know).

Comments? No comments to make really - this method works fine for the odd disk - I used to do it a quite a bit at the time.

But it quickly becomes a chore. And with most people here wanting a nicer solution (or not having a floppy drive on their PC) then a cable or PCMCIA solution is usually preferable. And if you have Kick1.3 then you don't have CrossDos anyway

EDIT: This method also requires some degree of ability in AmigaDOS (like being able to open a CLI window and actually TYPE something), making it unsuitable for gAmEz kIdDiEz..

Last edited by musashi5150; 21 March 2007 at 15:08.
Old 21 March 2007, 15:15   #5
Yesideez
(2b)||!(2b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150
CrossDos comes as part of WB3 (maybe WB2 as well - don't know).

Comments? No comments to make really - this method works fine for the odd disk - I used to do it a quite a bit at the time.

But it quickly becomes a chore. And with most people here wanting a nicer solution (or not having a floppy drive on their PC) then a cable or PCMCIA solution is usually preferable. And if you have Kick1.3 then you don't have CrossDos anyway

EDIT: This method also requires some degree of ability in AmigaDOS (like being able to open a CLI window and actually TYPE something), making it unsuitable for gAmEz kIdDiEz..
Was certainly a chore... quite a lot of my source code never got copied because of it. I have very little now and being a nostalgic sort of person most of my source code I managed to retrieve from Aminet. Well, the source code I gave away in the first place with a few of my tools. The best stuff I never gave it away with!

I'm now regretting getting rid of my old Amiga as I recently lost 99% of my Amiga collection I'd amassed when I built this PC (almost in tears!)