English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 February 2009, 14:07   #1
Amiga1992

Commonly bad A600 capacitors

Seems like my A600 has bit the dust with caps death.,

Which are the caps I need to look for replacement?
I can';t really recognize if these smt caps are faulty or not.

Help?

Last edited by Amiga1992; 23 February 2009 at 19:53.
Old 21 February 2009, 22:54   #2
Amiga1992

Er,m,mm.. NO ONE?
Old 22 February 2009, 03:22   #3
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Best advice is to replace all caps not matter if they already leak or not. They are old enough.
Old 22 February 2009, 16:31   #4
Amiga1992

it's a shit load of them/....
Old 22 February 2009, 19:02   #5
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

I know.... I replaced all caps in 5 x A1200 some weeks ago...oh my back...
Old 22 February 2009, 19:57   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
it's a shit load of them/....
Electrolytic caps, there isnt so many of them.
Old 22 February 2009, 21:24   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Picture of the motherboard with them circled would be cool
Old 22 February 2009, 23:01   #8
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

There are 15 SMD (silver, round) and 4 conventional caps.
Old 22 February 2009, 23:18   #9
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Picture of the motherboard with them circled would be cool

Just what alex said.

HEre's a n00b, mate. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from an electrolytic or whatever other type there is :P

I need instructions for making it myself or instructing someone to do it for me.
Old 23 February 2009, 03:16   #10
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

If you can't solder SMD it won't help you much and everyone who can has at least some basic electronic knowledge and would find them. Its really not hard.
Old 23 February 2009, 05:27   #11
Eliotg
Banned

the amiga motherboards does not suffer the bad caps plague
they lack electrolytic caps which are problematic sometimes since 470uf

on the other hand,commodore always inserted good capacitors,for example the commodore 64 comes with 3 big electrolytic UNICON caps,rated 470uf,1000uf and 2200uf
I tested them recently and are OK ... they have +20 years
Old 23 February 2009, 12:52   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBase View Post
If you can't solder SMD it won't help you much and everyone who can has at least some basic electronic knowledge and would find them. Its really not hard.

I want a picture of the motherboard with these caps pointed at.
Is that so hard to give without patronising me?

In the end if I fuck up my computer is my own damn problem anyway, I won't come here and blame you.

If you know which ones they are and you can help, please do so. If you are not going to help, just don't keep on saying how much you know what to do but not post the information and saying how stupid I am. I know I can't solder SMD, but I have friends that do, and specific, pinpointed directions will optimize the situation and minimize risk.
Old 23 February 2009, 13:29   #13
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:

I want a picture of the motherboard with these caps pointed at.
Is that so hard to give without patronising me?

In the end if I fuck up my computer is my own damn problem anyway, I won't come here and blame you.

If you know which ones they are and you can help, please do so. If you are not going to help, just don't keep on saying how much you know what to do but not post the information and saying how stupid I am. I know I can't solder SMD, but I have friends that do, and specific, pinpointed directions will optimize the situation and minimize risk.
Calm down, I don't have a 600, but I can tell you that in the case of the aluminium type electros, I replaced all the ones on a leaky A4000 CPU board. The easiest way to get them off is by twisting them, it breaks the legs off and they just then come off the board, the remaining legs can be removed by desoldering them, but as has already been pointed out, if you cannot solder surface mount, there's no point you doing anything. Better to send it off and have it done by someone for you, if you live in Australia, send it to me, I'll do it for you, not for free, but I will help you. Replace ALL of them at the same time. Below is what leaky electrolytics and aluminium caps look like.

http://www.facilitateit.com.au/Capacitors.htm
http://www.repeater-builder.com/moto...leaky_caps.jpg

Paul
Old 23 February 2009, 17:13   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
Calm down[...] if you cannot solder surface mount, there's no point you doing anything.
I'm just trying to get some data posted for my and OTHER PEOPLE's benefit.
I admitted I am a retard, that I can't probably solder the components, etc... that does not mean I shouldn't get the information. As I said, it's my own risk if I attempt it or not. You also have to think the information will remain here for -everyone's- benefit, so it can't hurt, can it?

I have a friend who could do it for me, but I want to give him *precise* information about which caps to change. I don't want him to change everything for nothing, it's a waste of time, and I know there's only a few of them that usually get bad, so it would help -a lot- to know which ones are the common perpetrators.

Catch my drift?
Less patronizing, more information.
Old 23 February 2009, 19:50   #15
Amiga1992

OK, since this thread has been doomed with some help but a lot of patronising, I decided to have a go at trying to identify some leaking caps in layman methods. This would help an electronics idiot identify leaking caps and lead a tech-savvy person to make repairs.

This is a picture of the motherboard. I circled the caps that are leaking or suspectedly leaking on mine.

I grabbed a cotton swab and started passing it around the caps. One of them would give out a green color. Yep, some acid has been munching my precious PCB there! leaky cap #1 identified:

Repeating this method I managed to find more leaky caps, at least two, in the motherboard.

I guess that changing them all after all might be a better solution, but that will depend on how much the fucktwat that is going to repair it for me wants to charge me for it. More pics:

I will post more info as it unfolds. Hopefully this will help other A600 users.
Do any of the ones I marked usually go bad? How about start sharing that info?
Old 23 February 2009, 20:24   #16
Damion

In my experience they *all* go bad. Even the ones that look OK have usually leaked some, it just isn't visible yet. Make sure you leave it to a real expert (or send it to someone like Anthony Hoffman) - if the electrolyte has been eating away at the PCB for a while, the pads might lift right off the board. :/

I can PM you the part numbers and amount when I get home from work. I replaced my A1200's SMT caps with some Panasonics, and UCC KZE series for the 4 thru-hole caps. (Note - I did find a bulging thru-hole on one motherboard, so might as well replace those too.) The computers are absolutely rock solid now.

Last edited by Damion; 23 February 2009 at 21:21.
Old 23 February 2009, 21:37   #17
Amiga1992

Taking the motherboard to an electronic technician and saying "hey, replace all these", you think should be enough?
I am just worried of getting ass-raped by the cost of it.
Old 23 February 2009, 21:48   #18
Damion

Quote:
Taking the motherboard to an electronic technician and saying "hey, replace all these", you think should be enough?
I am just worried of getting ass-raped by the cost of it.
Absolutely, that would be OK. IMHO the "no BS" route would be to shoot Castellen an email, as he's reasonably priced and experienced.
Old 23 February 2009, 21:55   #19
Amiga1992

I am in South America.
I will not send anything anywhere, risking it to be lost/.broke/stolen, and pay a shitload of money in the process!

I have to take this to ANY electronic technician, and give them precise instructions of what to do. This is why I *needed* this advice. I will not attempt the fix myself but I must give precise instructions to a professional.
Old 23 February 2009, 22:58   #20
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Hi Akira

If you cannot do it yourself, I'd suggest simply taking it to the technician & saying "please replace all the capacitors".

As mentioned above, better to just get them ALL done so you don't have more problems pop up.

PZ.