English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 12 November 2008, 11:23   #281
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
You forgot to tmention that you now don't have to drag the formula to all the rows that you think might get data Excel becomes a bit messy when dealing with large amounts of data. Hope you have a taster of the new Access thingy ready next weekend
Hope so, it all depends on my homely demands or rather the demands of the wife
Old 12 November 2008, 11:40   #282
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Hope so, it all depends on my homely demands or rather the demands of the wife
Hehe, then I hope your wife isn't too demanding in the coming days
Old 12 November 2008, 12:33   #283
DH
Global Moderator

All System/Video/Copyright/DevStatus have a menu selection from PandMonium's up to date list

Country and Language have a list info box that has all the available languages and country codes available to choose from
Old 12 November 2008, 17:59   #284
PandMonium

ok, like i promised here is the latest document i have describing tosec naming convention, please note that it is wip and some of the lists (the last part) can be a bit outdated but didn't have the time to update it yet.
The rules described there are the ones used by TIM (beta, discontinued) and other tools that i currently use / working on
Nonetheless its a wip document and some fields are not 100% clear so they can be changed a bit later, i know you will say its a bit long but i think it isn't that boring to read and maybe someone can point errors that i haven't noticed yet
Old 12 November 2008, 18:36   #285
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thanks for the pdf PandMonium I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow and tel you if I can spot an/some error(s)
Old 12 November 2008, 18:54   #286
DH
Global Moderator

Excellent PandMonium Will be reading through this tonight if the wife gives me some peace

WIP, well doesn't that apply to all of us who are attempting to create stuff, we're always trying to improve things over time
Old 13 November 2008, 14:07   #287
DH
Global Moderator

Just to let you know, things are moving rather slowly, due to the excel import adding invisible characters to the blank cells
This caused the count of hackers/crackers/trainers/virus's to be exactly the same count as the record count So I fixed it but it took ages because unlike excel you can select a range, Access won't and you have to do it manually + it doesn't move very fast either. Just to select 10,000+ files or so took nearly 15mins and I had to do this another 5 times

Gladly, my patience lasted

Edit: From all the seperate fields (Flags) etc, I have been able to join each individual piece of data together into one string, missing the blanks and only showing what is available and adding the '() []' brackets

Last edited by DH; 13 November 2008 at 15:20.
Old 13 November 2008, 15:26   #288
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Never really worked with Access myself, but there should be a way to replace fields with a new value based on a condition. I know it's not much help yet that you've done it manually, but just in case that you have to do it again
Old 13 November 2008, 20:07   #289
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Never really worked with Access myself, but there should be a way to replace fields with a new value based on a condition. I know it's not much help yet that you've done it manually, but just in case that you have to do it again
Cheers TCD, I imagine there is a way, but I did it manually nevertheless. I removed some of the QTY stuff as it was taking far too long to calculate the results, so I have left the original QTY stuff in that I had with the Excel version, it seems much faster now

It's great being able to see the end result of the correct TOSEC Title in full compared with the original above it, you can easily see any mistakes and can copy 'n' paste the correct TOSEC Title into that field.

All Flags (Tabs), whatever we want to call them, are in the correct order and are only visible if there is data to show

I've read the PDF file off PandMonium and have discovered the version flag is somewhat different to the way I thought it would be, example follows:

Legend of TOSEC v1.0, The (Official TNC)

Legend of TOSEC, The v1.0 (My release)

You can see the difference, the 'The' part comes after the version. I must admit, I would have had it named on the 'My release' but then I'm not the one designating the naming nor am I the one in control of it. Wonder if PandMonium could shed some light on if the tiny change could be implemented. If not then the naming is going to have to add some code to remove the 'The' and another field to add it after the Version Field.

Edit: My Year date is different too. '1991- - ' or 1991-10- ' or '19xx- - '. Not just '1991' or '1991-10' or '19xx'. Do you think these values should be readjusted 'cause this is how excel displayed them 'n' obviously imported them in this way

Last edited by DH; 13 November 2008 at 21:13.
Old 13 November 2008, 21:38   #290
PandMonium

just came back now from soccer and still have to dinner and take a bath so will answer better after that but i have to say that i have the same opinion about version flag
I think i already pointed it here or said it to TKaos or something similar, there are some problems with version flag and my parser currently that i have to address.

TNC says: Title Version (year)(publisher)
and not: Title Version Title (year)(publisher)
thats why i find it much more correct to use ", The" before version like you said in your release, anyway both cases are present in TOSEC and have to be addressed sooner or later

Its impossible(or at least not easy ) version in the "Official TNC" case, because its not only ", The", but ", Die", ", Das", ", Los" ; ", Os", etc in all other languages so i really think you got the idea right, will see it later
Old 13 November 2008, 21:52   #291
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandMonium View Post
Its impossible(or at least not easy ) version in the "Official TNC" case, because its not only ", The", but ", Die", ", Das", ", Los" ; ", Os", etc in all other languages so i really think you got the idea right, will see it later
Hmmm. I suppose I'll leave it that way, it's much easier and simpler to do. Once you add all the different languages for the 'The' etc, it becomes an enormous headache to place the right one in the right place. Too many to work from for the database to work efficiently.
Old 14 November 2008, 00:20   #292
PandMonium

Ok, i checked the document and saw what you said, i also think it should follow the rules, if it is "Title Version (...)", then in my opinion its wrong to be "Simpsons, v1.2 The" and should be "Simpsons, The v1.2".

I can't change it just by me but will talk with idoru or wait for him to see this thread and see his opinion, hopefully it will be similar
Old 14 November 2008, 00:43   #293
DH
Global Moderator

OK Cheers

Hopefully idoru can shed a little light on the subject, as it certainly needs looking into

The only other way it can easily be done, is to get rid of the 'Version' field altogether and place the version along with the title into the 'Title' field. But as this is supposed to be a separate piece of info, it really should have its own field

We'll just have to wait for idoru to let us know
Old 14 November 2008, 17:07   #294
exoticaga

Well to me "Title, The v1.0" looking like it saying "The v1.0" and not belonging the title, with comma seperating it.

Title 'The' v1.0 (is better but is this ok for all languages ?)
Old 14 November 2008, 17:16   #295
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
Well to me "Title, The v1.0" looking like it saying "The v1.0" and not belonging the title, with comma seperating it.

Title 'The' v1.0 (is better but is this ok for all languages ?)
According to TNC it should look like the following (which means it will have to be part of the title field):-

Title v1.0, The

I propose:-

Title, The v1.0 (in its own right the version should be a seperate field)

Obviously nobody can do anything until idoru has spoken about it and given an answer, until then it will have to be the official TNC version.

Anyhow, this has all come to light when creating a database that will create the complete title correctly, according to TNC
Old 14 November 2008, 17:20   #296
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
According to TNC it should look like the following (which means it will have to be part of the title field):-

Title v1.0, The
No, it's just that it's used until now TNC is 'Title, The v1.0, but since it has to be replaced in the current dats, so that ClrMamePro can correct it I really would like to know if PandMoium is going to correct that
Old 14 November 2008, 17:26   #297
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
No, it's just that it's used until now TNC is 'Title, The v1.0, but since it has to be replaced in the current dats, so that ClrMamePro can correct it I really would like to know if PandMoium is going to correct that
Hello TCD where have you been lately?

If you read the PDF off PandMonium it's stated there (unless this is just an error), and I didn't really know which version I was supposed to use. If you say I should be using 'Title, The v1.0' then there is no need to change a thing with the database

But I think PandMonium has an issue with it (even though he prefers it like the above) and needs to see idoru or point him to this thread
Old 14 November 2008, 17:34   #298
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You know, doing this and that

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandMonium View Post
TNC says: Title Version (year)(publisher)
and not: Title Version Title (year)(publisher)
thats why i find it much more correct to use ", The" before version like you said in your release, anyway both cases are present in TOSEC and have to be addressed sooner or later
I was referreing to this statement by PandMonium. Like he said the ', The' is part of the title and therefore it should be put beforethe version info Since we all seem to agree with that, I think there is no need to take any action now Again let's see what PandMonium (the master of the TNC ) has to say
Old 14 November 2008, 17:49   #299
DH
Global Moderator

I must admit, 'The' is part of the title and should be present with it. If your searching for something via a website you'll always find the 'The' after the main title followed by the version. Can't really understand why TNC had originally done it that unusual way, I've never seen it done like that in my entire life.

Anyway, nobody's perfect, least of all me, and I'm sure they have had other more important things to correct or add to the whole of TNC for all the different platforms etc. etc.

Edit: We must not forget, TNC is not just for Amiga, it has to cover and be compatible with all the other different platforms in the world, even for new ones to be added from todays growing list of dying machines.
Old 15 November 2008, 14:59   #300
DH
Global Moderator

Just tried to export the necessary details in the form of TOSEC Dat and of course it didn't blinking work

As I have to setup a 'form' with the right data etc, just like TOSEC Dat, when exporting it, it is forced to export the data with formatting and layout the selection to uncheck this item is ghosted out and of course it ends up with loads of '_' and '|' offsetting everything

There appears to be no way of setting this up in the correct format for export to a txt file, there are not enough options to play with to set it up your own way.

Unless, of course, someone else knows how to do it and could explain roughly how