English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 April 2014, 20:29   #1
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

Cumana external amiga disk drive questions

Today my sister brought me my old cumana disk drive that I used to have as a primary drive on my CDTV. Nostalgia! I connected it to my Amiga here and copied a disk using xcopy. Everything was fine. However I have some questions and I was wondering if someone could help and refresh my memory:

1. Can it be used as a primary/main drive in my current Amiga 500 plus and run games only from there?

2. I played today the 'another world' game. It consists of 2 disks. So i put the first one in the main drive and the second disk in the cumana external drive. The game started normally from the main drive and then it asked for disk 2. The disk 2 was already in the external drive, i took it out and put it back inside the drive again but it wouldn't run it. I tried pressing the fire button of the joystick too. So my question is, were there some games that do not recognize the external drives?

3. Behind the drive there is a switch. It reads EN and DIS. When I turn it to DIS and try the experiment 2. (Above) nothing happens again but this time the external drive's led does not turn red (loads) at all. Does anyone remember what was that switch for? I tried to find a manual online for that old fella but I couldn't.

Many thanks

Update: I just figured out that KS 2.0 starts a disk which is only in the external drive while KS 1.3 does not (this relates to 1.).

Last edited by Galder; 27 April 2014 at 20:59.
Old 27 April 2014, 21:22   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

The EN / DIS slider switch on the back of the external Cumana drive is simply to Enable and Disable it when required.

AFAIK, there are indeed some games which will not recognize any but the internal floppy drive, but I cannot say whether Another World is one of those.

Last edited by prowler; 27 April 2014 at 21:27.
Old 27 April 2014, 21:29   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

Many games will not recognize external drive. DIS/EN switch may be to save memory without manually disconnecting drive.