English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 15 March 2016, 22:25   #1
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Recommended 2D Tile Base Map Editor

What's a good map editor for 2d maps (for Amiga games) ?

Has to be windows based if possible
Old 16 March 2016, 00:15   #2
invent
pixels

Hi Dan I use the free Tiled editor http://www.mapeditor.org/ (PC,Mac,Linux)
Old 16 March 2016, 09:20   #3
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Thanks, will give this one a go
Old 16 March 2016, 13:42   #4
SyX

As invent says, Tiled is an amazing multiplatform map editor, but i am biased because i am the spanish translator

Not seriously, try it, i love the support of layers and attributes, because makes my life easier, i set a layer for the tilemap, another for the collision map, other for enemies, objects, ... or the python plugin, ...

I use it in every of my Amiga and CPC ( ) projects.

And Bjorn, the author, is very friendly and loves the feedback, and if you find that Tiled lacks of any feature that you need, he will add fast and you will able to test in one of the daily builds.

PS: Version 0.16 should be released this weekend and will bring a few improves in the usability.

Last edited by SyX; 16 March 2016 at 13:46. Reason: News about the new version
Old 16 March 2016, 13:52   #5
Lazycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyX View Post
if you find that Tiled lacks of any feature that you need, he will add fast
Will he?

I use the tiled editor as well, but I miss one feature: Marking blocks with flags! I know you can set attributes, but they cannot be visualized in the map or in the blockset. I always wondered how other projects cope with that limitation.
Old 16 March 2016, 14:00   #6
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Well. i downloaded it, and sent a little Paypal payment for it, to support the author

Looks good so far !
Old 16 March 2016, 16:02   #7
SyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazycow View Post
Will he?

I use the tiled editor as well, but I miss one feature: Marking blocks with flags! I know you can set attributes, but they cannot be visualized in the map or in the blockset. I always wondered how other projects cope with that limitation.
If you need that feature, i can only recommend that you should suggest it to Bjorn, he is a sensible person and will implement any good idea... that always worked for me

In my actual project, i am abusing the feature that you can have an unlimited number of layers (and remember that you can set the transparency of the layers and which ones are visible) and tilesets.

I have a tileset for the background tiles, other for the background collision map (five or six bi-colour tiles where you set how much you can go through them; and you can extend/abuse this idea for marking groups of mono-colour tiles that shared a flag, and you can see immediately that that pink stuff are tiles sharing a feature XXX and those green ones share a feature YYY, ...), other for bonus objects/special events (hidden bonus as Turrican or First Samurai; and those tiles looks like monocolour icons for seeing easily and not overload too much the design), other for enemies starting points, ...

And if you need "special" settings for a limit number of tiles (special enemies or bonus things), you can define an object layer, add the objects (using the "Insert Tile" toolbar icon) and then set your custom attributes.

Then i use a python script for decoding that information based in the layer the tile is, tile number (different ranges mean different things) and the special/customized attributes associated to it, ... and generating the map in a more amiga friendly way (basically a few binary files for including directly in the source :P)
Old 23 March 2016, 23:21   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Of interest:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 March 2016, 00:05   #9
Cherno

Since we are on the topic, does anyone know of a tile editor that supports:

1. isometric tiles
2. multiple height levels (room above room), like in the old X-Com or Syndicate games

? Tiled unfortunately fails in the latter regard