English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 22 July 2013, 20:40   #1
Acidomoduso

New to forum and Amiga Emulators

Hello guys,

Thank you for allowing me to grace your forum!

I know it may sound nooby but I have just joined this forum in the hope of being able to rejuvenate my Amiga Music-X program to get some old songs from it. Not having either a floppy drive or the knowledge to turn the original AF58a Music-X disc into an ADF, I thought i'd turn to you guys!

OK, firstly... what Emulator should I use? Any good choices out there (and locations of the downloads)?
Next... will it work with my PC card's midi connections? I have an M-Audio 2496 with midi connections. will the emulator see that as a connection?
Finally... where can I find the Music-X adf file (as the Zone no longer exists)? As stated above, I have an original floppy of the free cover disc but cannot get the files off due to lack of floppy drive or Amiga! I also have a Music-X utilities disc but have no idea what is on it!

I know I sound all wet round the ears and am looking for someone to hold my hand and change my nappies etc but any help would be appreciated. I am normally good with finding stuff on t'internet but this has me flummoxed!

I would be eternally grateful for any assistance, no matter how big or small it may be!

Old 22 July 2013, 21:21   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Acidomoduso, and welcome to EAB!

I have Music-X boxed for the Amiga tucked away somewhere, so I should be able to help you with this when I have found it.
Old 22 July 2013, 21:22   #3
Acidomoduso

Awesome, Prowler. That would be cool!

Old 22 July 2013, 21:30   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Hi Acidomoduso,

Welcome to EAB.

If you want an out of the box package then purchase a copy of AmigaFoever2013 from amigaforever.com

If you prefer to gather the files yourself then go to winuae.net and download the installer. You will then need to obtain the kickstart images and Workbench adf's.....(copyrighted and not to be asked for here)

Whichever route you go down, to make an adf of a real amiga disk is going to require a real Amiga or a kryoflux board (kryoflux.com). Best bet is to download the coverdisks as adf's and load them into WinUAE/AmigaForever.
Old 22 July 2013, 21:43   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidomoduso View Post
Awesome, Prowler. That would be cool!
I've just found what I thought was a boxed copy of Music-X for the Amiga, but it's actually The Music Studio!

However, I've found disk images of the Music-X 2.0 program for the Amiga and they're up in The Zone for you! (Yes, it does still exist!)

How do I get access to the zone?
Old 22 July 2013, 22:08   #6
Acidomoduso

You guys are gentlemen and scholars!

I shall look at Amiga Forever. Seems pretty good value. And thank you for the Music-X upload. I shall now try and source a cheap USB floppy to get my songs off (assuming that MIDI works between the emulator and FruityLoops!)

Old 24 July 2013, 23:46   #7
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

You won't be able to use a USB floppy to read your old Music-X data disks. You'll need a physical Amiga, a Catweasel, or a Kryoflux. Or, it's possible to do with an older PC with built-in floppy controller, and two physical drives, using something called Disk2FDI.
Old 24 July 2013, 23:55   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

...or he can send them to another member here who already has the necessary equipment to read the disks and make images of them.
Old 25 July 2013, 00:39   #9
clenched

There is also a remote possibility that this will work. I would send them to prowler.
Old 25 July 2013, 00:56   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clenched View Post
I would send them to prowler.
Yep, I'm always up for a disk imaging session.