English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 27 May 2012, 01:20   #1
Graham Humphrey

EAB/Lemon Super League 2012: Round 7 - Bubble Bobble

EAB/Lemon Super League 2012: Round 7 - Bubble Bobble

Starts: 00:01 May 27 Finishes: 23:59 June 16

Rules

Post a picture of your score here with the score written underneath. Enter as often as you like. Only scores achieved during the round's time frame count.

No cheating of any kind (including score leeching) - this includes save states. No continues/passwords allowed. If you suspect anyone of cheating please let us know in private - anyone found guilty will be banned for the entire season.

In an exciting twist, the winner of this round gets to choose a year between 1987 and 1995 for Round 8 after the competition's break, when only games from the chosen year can be voted for. Well, except 1994, as that was taken last season. And 1995, as that was chosen the season before.

Remember, anyone can join in at any time. Have fun and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Downloads

- ADF
- WHDLoad-installed

Extras

- Full rules and FAQ (incorporating the Hall of Fame)
- Results and Standings
- Lemon thread

Final Scores: - EAB, Lemon

1. aca0808 - 1,831,760
2. Lonewolf10 - 1,828,680
3. LinesMachine - 1,201,600
4. lifeschool - 964,650
5. premmisseth - 934,500
6. Biscuit - 897,940
7. capehorn - 621,740
8. Predseda - 600,700
9. ChrisN82 - 587,850
10. mailman - 476,950
11. bbsteal - 240,860
12. kkgarbod - 233,650
13. diablothe2nd - 224,160
14. Ze Emulatron - 211,760
15. Graham Humphrey - 194,720
16. OLDGAMER - 133,150
17. akabei - 114,260

EAB (677,036) vs Lemon (1,166,090)

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 17 June 2012 at 01:07.
Old 27 May 2012, 02:44   #2
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Ahh, all the memories are coming flooding back
I got the bonus icons a few times, a few diamonds and other items, hence the large score despite being only on level 12.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BubbleBobble_LW_173180.png
Views:	250
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	31723  
Old 27 May 2012, 07:27   #3
kkgarbod
The Human/Gray Hybrid

Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane
My first attempt:

Will get more later. Made stupid mistakes. But I'm more an arcade Bubble Bobble Player

Last edited by kkgarbod; 12 January 2020 at 09:09.
Old 27 May 2012, 19:16   #4
Graham Humphrey

The arcade original is infinitely superior to this version.

Old 27 May 2012, 23:39   #5
Lonewolf10

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BubbleBobble_LW_331650.png
Views:	233
ID:	31732  
Old 28 May 2012, 13:03   #6
diablothe2nd

i hate platformers that use up to jump... grrr perhaps i should remap the keys on my 360 pad to make jump A and fire B or something.

I'll try again later, it's too bloody hot right now
Old 28 May 2012, 20:13   #7
diablothe2nd

managed to improve on my score a little

more practice coming after my bbq :P
Old 28 May 2012, 20:47   #8
diablothe2nd

Can someone point me to the thread where we vote on future games?

I was thinking as Monaco has just been and gone, of suggesting Microprose Grand Prix, Monaco track.

How would that work though, given that it works on time and not score?
Old 28 May 2012, 21:47   #9
diablothe2nd

WOOT, got a score that's a bit more respectable, and then i go and press fire on A so had to write my name backwards! EDIT, score improved and image updated

224,160 score!

I got two weird bonuses, one had to load from disk and said 1 UP, the other was some musical note collection thing. managed to get all of them.

I still have no clue what i'm doing though but it's getting addictive!

c'mon guys, keep at it... if a noob like me can pull over 200k then everyone here should be able to... let's bring up our average score!!!!!!

EDIT, replaced image with my latest hiscore as i dont wanna keep flooding this thread

Last edited by diablothe2nd; 28 May 2012 at 22:07.
Old 28 May 2012, 22:05   #10
diablothe2nd

previous post edited. i'll continue to edit it with more screenies if i improve my score some more
Old 28 May 2012, 22:38   #11
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
WOOT, got a score that's a bit more respectable, and then i go and press fire on A so had to write my name backwards! EDIT, score improved and image updated
Yeah, that caught me out at first too. I know it was an arcade game, but surely when porting to machines with keyboards they should have added keyboard support for name entry? Or atleast make it much clearer how to enter your name?

Quote:

I got two weird bonuses, one had to load from disk and said 1 UP, the other was some musical note collection thing. managed to get all of them.
The 1 UP thing sounds like you collected all the letters that make up the word "EXTEND", which increases Bobs/Bubs life by 1 unit.

The musical note thing happens when you collect a specific item. There are 4 or 5 variations (same idea, but different icons). Collect them all for a 100,000 pts bonus.

You should check out lifeschools guide (and links to icon descriptions) in the lemon thread (link in Graham's first post above).

Quote:
EDIT, replaced image with my latest hiscore as i dont wanna keep flooding this thread

... and yet you will flood it with replies saying you updated your first reply

I used to be good at the Spectrum version of this. I don't recall ever getting to lvl 100 (yes, there should be atleast 100 levels in this game), but I do know that on one occasion I made it to around lvl 70. However, I haven't played this game in 15 years or so, so I'll settle for reaching lvl 40 or 50.

Lifeschool estimated that it may be possible to score 3 million, but I reckon that with the right bonuses, alot of skill and luck, it could be as high as 5 million!

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 29 May 2012, 00:03   #12
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
... and yet you will flood it with replies saying you updated your first reply
yeah, apologies.... upon editing my post, there were people looking at the thread, so wanted to make sure my score was updated. as it happens it wasn't, but wanted to be sure nonetheless.

thanks for the tips is there any tactic to how quickly you destroy the bad guys? I seem to score more when i let them faff around a bit before ending them. I also note that if there are score drops i should collect them before taking out the last guy, as they dissapear otherwise.

EDIT - oh and 500th post!!! w00t!
Old 29 May 2012, 00:14   #13
Graham Humphrey

I know it's usually frowned upon (well, not really, but it's the best phrase I could think of) to 'flood' threads with lots of quick replies but please always put any new scores in a new post, otherwise they could easily get missed.

Oh and as for a voting thread, there isn't one at the minute... check out the Rules/FAQ/Season Schedule thread for more details
Old 29 May 2012, 00:19   #14
diablothe2nd

Thanks for clearing that one up Graham

PS, get that score higher, you're bringing the average down now
Old 29 May 2012, 22:40   #15
Lonewolf10

Quote:
yeah, apologies.... upon editing my post, there were people looking at the thread, so wanted to make sure my score was updated. as it happens it wasn't, but wanted to be sure nonetheless.
No probemo!

Quote:
thanks for the tips is there any tactic to how quickly you destroy the bad guys? I seem to score more when i let them faff around a bit before ending them. I also note that if there are score drops i should collect them before taking out the last guy, as they dissapear otherwise.

EDIT - oh and 500th post!!! w00t!

For completing each level there is a specific method that I use, though in general you shouldn't kill the bad guys straight away on the first few levels as you increase your chances of picking up bonuses (as you have already noticed).

I have gotten back into the rythm for the first 25 levels, but for scoring high in this competition you really need to collect those conical flasks which make the musical notes (and other icons) appear at the topmost part of the level (note, on some levels they will appear halfway down the screen as the topmost part is inaccessible - such as the popcorn and bubbles levels). Collect all icons for a 100,000 point bonus which is vital to getting a high score.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 30 May 2012, 00:58   #16
diablothe2nd

Thanks

I feel ashamed to admit, but I took a peek at the Lemon thread. They've got a very in depth explanation of bonuses and what they do. we could've done with that here to be honest, but then... I'll enjoy using their own tips against them

can you give me tips on level 10? i always seem to lose 2 or 3 lives on that level. afterwards i'm cool and have sussed the waiting points. but 10 always nails me.
Old 30 May 2012, 06:50   #17
aca0808

@diablothe2nd
I'm originally "Lemon man" but I'm also registered over here at EAB and would like to help out as much as I can about AMIGA and everything about it... So,my suggestion about Level 10 of "Bubble Bobble" is:right away jump at the top of the left platform,wait a while for monster to go back down,then go down at the center of the screen and shoot constantly in the middle of the screen and kill as much as you can of your enemies... Mostly you'll get some kind of help or maybe potion or get EXTEND completed... I also had problems with that level and I think that is the best way to solve it... I almost reached level 40 at the moment...

Old 30 May 2012, 15:32   #18
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
I feel ashamed to admit, but I took a peek at the Lemon thread. They've got a very in depth explanation of bonuses and what they do. we could've done with that here to be honest, but then... I'll enjoy using their own tips against them
Thanks. I made those tips to create a level playing field for everyone, on all sides, so that there isn't many huge secrets players are keeping to themselves to gain an advantage. It means everyone has the same info, (the sause for the goose is the sauce for the gander), and so everyone has an equal chance of a win. I originally started making to tips to help Lemon actually win a round, as last year they were struggling. In fact the Lemoners haven't won the compo in years; so time for a change I think.

But yeah, these tips are to help everybody really and to save them reading the manual or hunting around the internet for 'advantages'. I think it also encourages players to share additional tips on the the threads and saves the same issues / problems coming up for everyone. As Capehorn proved during Buggy Boy, sharing tips (even playthrus) is one thing, but it does NOTHING to help the players actual playing skills. Longplays are available on youtube, and they do nothing except perhaps to give the player a little moral support and to show what CAN be done. Nothing beats practice and dedication - that's that you need - if you wanna beat the best...

Quote:
can you give me tips on level 10? i always seem to lose 2 or 3 lives on that level. afterwards i'm cool and have sussed the waiting points. but 10 always nails me.
My route on level 10 is slightly different from the one above. At the start I go to the right-hand edge of the start platform and bubble the two guys on the centre-bottom platform. While they are floating up I climb to the top of the level and go right, bubbling the purple ghosts and then dropping down the middle, or bubbling all the enemies except one and fall down the middle to pop them. It helps to have faster bubbles of course.

Last edited by lifeschool; 30 May 2012 at 15:38.
Old 30 May 2012, 21:23   #19
Lonewolf10

Quote:
I sometimes look at the Lemon thread for tips.

I have an account on there as I was going to try to get better scores in the pinball hall of fame, but so far I have only added 1 score (other than those from previous rounds in the competition last year).

Quote:
Heres my method:

Move to the right of the platform you start from and just before they start moving shoot the 2 at the bottom. Stay put and shoot the 2 that go down to the bottom. Now (with a bit of luck) the water icon should be above the top left hole (they don't always appear over there), and the purple dudes should be moving towards the top of the screen. Just as the purple guys start going down again (they should go down the middle of the level and head towards the bottom of the level), move right and drop down the hole to appear at the top of the level, collecting the water as you fall (at this point the purple dudes should be near the center of the level) which will usually collect all the bad guys in one go (sometimes 1 purple dude may get missed)!
Of course, using this method means very little chance of collecting any "EXTEND" letters, but you shouldn't lose any lives, and depending where the bonuses land you may not be able to collect them all.

Thanks to the Bubble Bobble god of flasks (I got 4 of them!):

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BubbleBobble_LW_773780.png
Views:	242
ID:	31773  
Old 30 May 2012, 21:48   #20
diablothe2nd

Quote: