English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 September 2010, 20:02   #1
rsn8887

Gods Level 2-1, all the secrets?

Hello,
anybody here playing Gods?

I am trying to find really ALL the secrets in 2-1. Level 2-1 is a masterpiece of level design! I checked on gods-country and gamefaqs, but they all ignore the little checkered treasure chest and "route 2" (see below).

Ok, as far as I understand, there's two alternate ways through the level. Either I press the initial switch (to the right from starting position), or not.

If I press the initial switch, I am doing call it "route 1." The trapdoor opens, and a lot of extra spiky traps appear. Now I can get the treasure key the usual way. I lure one thief to come towards me by dropping the gold key that's in my inventory. I get the invulnerability from him, and then I use a second thief that appears to get me the big treasure room key. Now I can get all the treasures. Well, all APART from the checkered/dithered treasure chest in the "treasure room." towards the end of the level. I think that chest cannot be opened on this route, for lack of a chest key.

If I don't press the initial switch, I am doing call it "route 2." The trapdoor remains closed, but - AHA - that chest key I was always missing on route 1 now appears!!! I cannot reach it by myself, but hell I can lure a thief into grabbing that key for me! I do this by having an empty inventory, making the thief to the left appear with the switch, then jumping over him to have him follow me to the right towards the trapdoor. Then I duck just in front of the trapdoor. He now jumps over me and grabs that little chest key for me! This aha moment was one of my greatest gaming moments in the last month or so See attached image sequence.

So far so good. Now I have that elusive chest key. From doing route 1 in earlier sessions, I know that the corresponding chest is in the treasure room. But I cannot find a friggin' way to get into the treasure room, since I am on route 2 and the trapdoor is closed. With the trapdoor closed I cannot get to the treasure key by manipulating the two thieves as explained above.

There must be a way. I mean why would the bitmap bros throw me that chest key only on route 2, and require such a heroic effort to actually get the key, if it was useless?

Or is there some way to get this little key also on route 1?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gods_Disc1_001.png
Views:	472
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	26565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gods_Disc1_002.png
Views:	388
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	26566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gods_Disc1_003.png
Views:	376
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	26567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gods_Disc1_004.png
Views:	384
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	26568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gods_Disc1_005.png
Views:	387
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	26569  

Old 25 September 2010, 20:30   #2
mailman
Zone Friend

The switch at the beginning gives you the possibility to go into the Treasure Room. If you don't press it, you are not going to make into the Treasure Room. So, you need to press it. By pressing it a trapdoor beneath one of the ladders on the left will open. Go there and you will see two buddies above you. If you have more than one extra life, after killing them you'll get the gold chest key. If you take it all the traps in the World will be activated. Go down using the ladder. A thief should appear. Do not kill him! He will jump and steal the Shield. Now place the chest key on the floor. The thief will come down for it. Kill him, take the shield, take the chest key and fast as you can go up. Pass the trap and wait until the shield wears off. Press the first switch. Treasure Key and a thief will appear. Let him take the key and lure him down using the chest key. Kill him and take both keys. You can go into the Treasure Room and have the chest key.
Old 25 September 2010, 21:02   #3
rsn8887

@mailman: the key you are talking about is the golden chest key, I am talking about the brownish colored chest key that only appears if you don't press the switch in the beginning... what is its use?

Edit: I found the solution in an old post...

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=258124&postcount=12

So the bronze chest key is obtained on route 1, by going through the first door with a gold key already in hand (not leaving the gold key on the floor after luring the thief!). This way all the treasure can be found on route 1. Why the game drops a bronze key on route 2 still doesn't make sense to me tho...

Last edited by rsn8887; 25 September 2010 at 21:37.
Old 27 September 2010, 13:06   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I never even knew about any of this. I love these kind of games where even 15-20 years later, there is still stuff to find.