English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 December 2005, 15:01   #1
ser6io

Having a Amiga600 since friday i need HELP

Last friday, one guy after i delivery a p4 3,4ghz to him ask if i want a old computer he have ... i anser yes ... (worse thing that could happen would be to sent the computer to garbage later) ... is a old Amiga 600 with monitor and mouse ... psu from amiga is dead make some noise from one big capacitor and don't power on .... the psu is +5 +12 -12 like a pc psu i connect the cables to a old pc at psu and the amiga is power on ok now

Now i have a big problem i don't have workbench disk's

i think is possible to connect a old pc 2'5 hd to pc and make it a bootable hd for amiga ???
after that connect the hd on amiga and boot from hd

if someone could help to make the amiga bootable hd from pc

Old 18 December 2005, 17:42   #2
jobro

Tbh I dunno if this is possible due to the differences in the setup of the HD. Formatting is a no brainee, but I dunno a sh*t about connecting them together.

:edit:

I had a chat with an old friend since the youthtime, he's an amiga freak to say the least, I dunno if he'll sign up and reply, but he has some decent knowledge back in his head.

Yo Matte J från STHLM kan du ge en hjälpande hand eller?

Last edited by jobro; 18 December 2005 at 17:49.
Old 18 December 2005, 19:08   #3
billy

I recently bought a couple A600's from the UK. I ended up merging the power cable with an old ATX power supply [I used a VOM, but aminet has docs] to get them to work here in the states. Both machines were minus HD's until I added a couple of solid state 2.5" drives to them.

This gives me a perfect opportunity to thank Toni for the EXCELLENT native HD support in WinUAE!! In setting up these machines, I was able to hookup the 2.5" drive to my Windows laptop via a USB to IDE adapter, perform all my format/copy/setup/tweak work and then pop the drives back in my A600's!!

Soooo sweet. WinUAE has become an indispensable tools for retro-Ami support.
Thank you!!

ps
For workbench disks, eBay has a number of them for sale right now
OS 2.1
http://cgi.ebay.com/Commodore-Amiga-...QQcmdZViewItem

pps
I'm looking for CHEAP memory upgrades for these A600's. An additional 1MB Chip and or 2 or 4MB SRAM PCMCIA cards. I want to run my WHDLoad but I don't have enough mem for the rekicks and the games.
Old 23 December 2005, 22:29   #4
ser6io

a600 is booting from hd fine :) using winuae to install the system

a600 is booting from hd fine using winuae to format hd and install workbench
and with the utility adf2disk is easy to make all disk's on the amiga side after copy adf's to hd using winuae

now i have a big problem the a600 don't have keypad .... what keys i use to play games ???
i tried bomb jack and pang ... i press all keys and nothing hapen
using winuae i use keypad and play fine

Old 23 December 2005, 22:50   #5
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
http://www.retrogames.co.uk/stock/as...1_Joystick.jpg
Old 23 December 2005, 23:53   #6
TjLaZer

Ugh a PC user. LOL The Amiga does not use keys to play, you need a Joystick. WinUAE works with keypad as it is emulating a joystick. Get a regular Atari joystick!
Old 24 December 2005, 04:36   #7
gizmomelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy
I recently bought a couple A600's from the UK. I ended up merging the power cable with an old ATX power supply [I used a VOM, but aminet has docs] to get them to work here in the states. Both machines were minus HD's until I added a couple of solid state 2.5" drives to them.

This gives me a perfect opportunity to thank Toni for the EXCELLENT native HD support in WinUAE!! In setting up these machines, I was able to hookup the 2.5" drive to my Windows laptop via a USB to IDE adapter, perform all my format/copy/setup/tweak work and then pop the drives back in my A600's!!
Hi Billy - excellent work, I was wondering if you had to use any special options in WinUAE to be able to see the Amiga HDDs? I've tried installing my Amiga 2.5" laptop drive in my PC but the PC BIOS doesn't even see the HDD on bootup, so Windows of course can't see the drive and I cannot access/put info on it. So possibly an external caddy is the way to go for me too.

You mentioned using solid state 2.5" drives.. as in flashram drives? If so, how much did they cost and where did you get them?

Also I'm surprised that PAL A600's worked on your NTSC TVs?

thanks,
Gizmomelb
Old 24 December 2005, 12:25   #8
ser6io

PC Gamepad to Amiga is my solution :)

PC Gamepad to Amiga
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/amine...amepad2Ami.lha

next week if i have time i try to make this circuit

to play with my arcade joystick
http://www.geocities.com/realarcadejoystick/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	9973  

Old 24 December 2005, 14:34   #9
woody57

The wiring harness may NOT look pretty but if it works ser6io WOW!

You MUST let us know how you get on with this project
Old 24 December 2005, 15:31   #10
ser6io

woody57
i made this control a few years ago to play MAME games
is working fine in pc if you are interessed take a look at www.arcadecontrols.com lots of examples and tuturials

the wiring mess ( i as supposed to rewire all project after testing but i am a little bit lazy and with control closed the wiring is hidden )

i am new to amiga scene ... but if i make a adapter pcgamepad2amiga i think i could play with this control ... using one of the 2 gamepad's i have inside the control

PROBLEM SOLVED MY SPECTRUM JOYSTICK STILL WORKS AFTER ALMOST 20 YEARS

Last edited by ser6io; 27 December 2005 at 23:36.

Old 30 December 2005, 22:18   #11
billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb
Hi Billy - excellent work, I was wondering if you had to use any special options in WinUAE to be able to see the Amiga HDDs? I've tried installing my Amiga 2.5" laptop drive in my PC but the PC BIOS doesn't even see the HDD on bootup, so Windows of course can't see the drive and I cannot access/put info on it. So possibly an external caddy is the way to go for me too.

You mentioned using solid state 2.5" drives.. as in flashram drives? If so, how much did they cost and where did you get them?

Also I'm surprised that PAL A600's worked on your NTSC TVs?

thanks,
Gizmomelb
Hey Gizmomelb! The machine I do my WinUAE work on is a Gateway 7422 notebook which came with Windows XP Home installed. (Proud to say this is my only version of XP)
I use a USB to IDE adapter to attach the Amiga drives to the notebook, and I'm quite certain the BIOS never comes into play in this regard. Beside what I understand about the drive manager included in XP, is that it queries the hardware itself (32bit support) and doesn't need the BIOS for 'non-booting' drives. That being said I'm pretty sure you could use any IDE interface your machine accepts, parallel ide, usb -> ide, sata, etc etc.

Back in the day I did hardware/network support for a company and did some research on 2.5" IDE Flash drives. I chose the SimpleTech drives for their price and performance at the time. They weren't as cheap then as they are now. 2.5" 256MB should go new from between $100-160 USD. I bought them through Ingram Micro a top tier vendor, but you can buy from the Ingram warehouses via Buy.com. Flash drives aren't worth the money in my view, but they are VERY low draw so I would expect an actual Commodore A600 power supply to function well.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

I'm sure you can come up with a used 4-8GB 2.5" IDE notebook drive for next to nothing though.

As far as using physical drives in WinUAE, I think I had to use the drop down dialog in order to select the drive on the config page 'F12' (using Linux to type this so I can't check). They didn't show up directly.

Yeah, finally... You're correct about the UK PAL machines, I can't presently use them on my TV's or monitors directly. The GOOD News is that I can attach them to my LCD panel via a composite input I have on my tuner card. The card supports all times, PAL/NTSC/SECAM blah blah blah. Ehh.. it's a work around.

I wonder if anyone knows whether it's possible to change the timing on a PAL A600 by merely swapping out the 4.xxx MHz and 50.000 MHz crystals with the one appropriate for NTSC operation???

Good luck with the HD's.