English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 August 2015, 04:07   #1
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

To any AmiBay staff members on here

Dear AmiBay staff member,

A few weeks ago, I registered for an account under the name of KatakisAU. I have been using Chrome while I was registering. The next day I received an e-mail saying that the account was banned at the AmiBay forum, but the e-mail didn't explain why, and that is even before I was granted access. Then I went to amibay.com itself and found this message.

Quote:
You have been banned for the following reason:
Unfortunately, it has not been possible to complete your registration at this time due to an error. Please contact admin@amibay.com, so that the issue can be identified and resolved by our Administration team.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Your guys are useless. I have repeatedly sent e-mails to the address specified in the message, but not one admin has responded to me. I don't know if there is a problem with your e-mail system or I'm not welcome at your site. If it is the latter, then screw you. Why would I use AmiBay when I can use eBay or communicate in an Amiga User Group?

Regards,
KatakisAU
Old 25 August 2015, 07:47   #2
mjnurney

Hi Lots of the Amibay staff are away on holidays at the moment , someone will be in touch.

mike.
Old 25 August 2015, 10:21   #3
MrFluffy
furtling tinkerer

I got the same on signup for putting a birthdate of 1st april, I just use ebay instead.
Old 25 August 2015, 14:56   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Im guessing they dont want to go through all the new registrations and let a function take care of it. Maybe default is BAN and send all email.
Old 25 August 2015, 22:49   #5
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Im guessing they dont want to go through all the new registrations and let a function take care of it. Maybe default is BAN and send all email.
There is an automated system that looks for bots and the like that does auto ban some membership requests.

There is also a system of checking the profile information entered. If this is not completed correctly then an auto ban is switched on again.

All this is to protect the members of AmiBay from all the toe rags that are quite happy to rip you off and run away with your cash and not send the goods!!

It isn't a fool proof system but it does stop a lot of the aforementioned people getting automatic access to AmiBay. Unfortunately one or two toe rags still get in

And the point to this reply -

@B14ck W01f

I've cleared your registration. Please check your location profile and change it as needed.

Dave G
Old 25 August 2015, 23:40   #6
sardine

@ MrFluffy, I just checked your amibay account,

you was not banned for 1st april, year 1921

your declared location in your profile was did not match and banned.

out of every 10 new signups,, 5 are bots, 3 gave wrong details to gain entry, either previously banned or trying to hide, the last 2 are allowed as correct.(average)

this is a day in day out task, we do voluntary, you should see the "new sign up ban list" i should get paid

oh! and I dont have access to emails, moderators can't read the email system, that's the admins job. (cracks whip!!)
Old 26 August 2015, 00:01   #7
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardine View Post
oh! and I dont have access to emails, moderators can't read the email system, that's the admins job. (cracks whip!!)
I wish I had the time to check the Emails
Old 26 August 2015, 01:09   #8
MrFluffy
furtling tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardine View Post
@ MrFluffy, I just checked your amibay account,

you was not banned for 1st april, year 1921

your declared location in your profile was did not match and banned.

out of every 10 new signups,, 5 are bots, 3 gave wrong details to gain entry, either previously banned or trying to hide, the last 2 are allowed as correct.(average)

this is a day in day out task, we do voluntary, you should see the "new sign up ban list" i should get paid

If I wanted to hide, I would do so in plain view picking plausible entries for each field, sign up from a endpoint in the right country, set my browser UA to something common etc, as I imagine any actual potential miscreant would do?
I've never been banned, nor was I making any real effort to hide, I just value my privacy a little and don't see why a web forum needs the detail in such accuracy, when there's nothing concrete to verify that against anyway. If I'd have stuck Birmingham UK as my location and googled for a valid postcode of a residental street there and used a vpn, you would have been none the wiser, and it'd have been just as fake as outer mongolia but displaying some criminal intent. I might have 3 accounts on there already that you don't know about. Who knows.

In reality I thought about it when I got the "banned for life" melodrama un-welcome email as it was fun to play with google+ and farcebook when they made the same mistake but decided ebay would be much easier. Simpler all round for everyone.
Old 26 August 2015, 02:07   #9
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

I must say its a nightmare trying to sign up over at amibay.
Name field seems to require some capitals?
Does the field like spaces or not spaces?

If you type in the wrong password once there is no option to have your password sent to your e-mail. Instead you have to intentionally type the wrong password in five times and get locked out for 15 minutes. Only then are you offered to have your password sent to your e-mail.

Mind boggling and frustrating stuff. I'll bet this and other issues have prevented potential users from signing up over there.
This sort of thing is the main reason I have not used amibay in so long.

Would you guys consider making the site more user friendly please?
Also in general the site is somewhat clutterd and awkward.
Old 26 August 2015, 04:49   #10
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
@B14ck W01f

I've cleared your registration. Please check your location profile and change it as needed.
Done, and thanks.

My only crime while registering is using my VPN which I use for several reasons, but that means I have to turn it off every day I decide to access the site, then turn it back on again when I'm done. Very annoying.

Last edited by B14ck W01f; 26 August 2015 at 05:02.
Old 26 August 2015, 09:02   #11
sardine

Quote:
Originally Posted by B14ck W01f View Post
Done, and thanks.

My only crime while registering is using my VPN which I use for several reasons, but that means I have to turn it off every day I decide to access the site, then turn it back on again when I'm done. Very annoying.
no you dont thats only at registration verification,, feel free to leave vpn on, we have many members who travel or use mobiles while at work etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
If I wanted to hide, I would do so in plain view picking plausible entries for each field, sign up from a endpoint in the right country, set my browser UA to something common etc, as I imagine any actual potential miscreant would do?
I've never been banned, nor was I making any real effort to hide, I just value my privacy a little and don't see why a web forum needs the detail in such accuracy, when there's nothing concrete to verify that against anyway. If I'd have stuck Birmingham UK as my location and googled for a valid postcode of a residental street there and used a vpn, you would have been none the wiser, and it'd have been just as fake as outer mongolia but displaying some criminal intent. I might have 3 accounts on there already that you don't know about. Who knows.

In reality I thought about it when I got the "banned for life" melodrama un-welcome email as it was fun to play with google+ and farcebook when they made the same mistake but decided ebay would be much easier. Simpler all round for everyone.
Sorry to hear you don't like Amibay's sign up procedure,,

as for Privacy,, I could give you my street name, you still couldnt find me. All we ask for is a country and state/region. if you had put UK, Birmingham I dont see how I or anyone esle could find who you are or your full address.

which you give away anyway freely to the 1st member who you buy from, paypal (gives name) and postal address.

but thats up to you..

Last edited by TCD; 26 August 2015 at 09:04. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 18 January 2016, 18:28   #12
checksum

I signed up for an account just before christmas with the same name as here, immediately got banned with no response from the admins

Could I get un-banned?

Error message from Amibay:

vBulletin Message
You have been banned for the following reason:
Unfortunately, it has not been possible to complete your registration at this time due to an error. Please contact admin@amibay.com, so that the issue can be identified and resolved by our Administration team.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Old 18 March 2016, 09:52   #13
jkadaver

Thumbs down Also banned on Amibay why? I have no clue...

I have also been banned in the same fashion. I never even had the opportunity to even delve into the site. I was a new sign up I've been auto banned & contacted the admin several times..absolutely zero response. If any admin are here please check my account same name as here & everywhere else on the Internet. I'd love to check out what the site has to offer.

Old 18 March 2016, 10:02   #14
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

@checksum and jkadaver

Can you both confirm your location information by PM to me and I'll look into it.
Old 20 March 2016, 12:28   #15
Sandelsium

@Davideo Can you check my registration as well? I registered with nick Sandelsium but got the banned message as well and cannot modify my profile at all.

Old 20 March 2016, 17:03   #16
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandelsium View Post
@Davideo Can you check my registration as well? I registered with nick Sandelsium but got the banned message as well and cannot modify my profile at all.
Can you send me a PM on here confirming your location details please?

I'll have a look into it then for you.
Old 21 March 2016, 00:44   #17
turrican9

I think it took a year before my amibay account was suddenly enabled after registering. I don't know the reason. I had just given up and suddenly it got enabled.
Old 10 April 2016, 14:30   #18
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandelsium View Post

You are good to go now. Apologies for the delay.
Old 10 April 2016, 17:16   #19
markpjd
Games-Coffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
I think it took a year before my amibay account was suddenly enabled after registering. I don't know the reason. I had just given up and suddenly it got enabled.
Yep, same for me.
Old 15 April 2016, 18:40   #20
fubsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
I wish I had the time to check the Emails
Well, that inbox has received another one with the same problem