English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 September 2022, 01:39   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Predator 1 (Amiga), real ending finally revealed after 34yrs!

I (like others) have uploaded this game in full before thinking there was no ending, even two other Amiga longplay videos on youtube state they show the real full game,...THEY DON'T!

For over 3 decades it was believed that it was not possible to correctly finish Predator 1 on the Amiga so all we had as a reward was a lousy Game Over screen with a score.

We all believed the programmers failed to put in place the rope near the end of level 4 which is needed to raise the giant log so you can squash the Predator and then run like hell before a massive explosion takes place,...well now I have finally worked out how to correctly finish it thanks to a sub who told me to take another look at the game and I can now reveal the true real ending of this game

Yes I know the game is a bit naff, It's boringly long and I've even featured it on my "Shit Game Time" series but It's always nice to see real endings in games and this one has been a myth for 34yrs,...but no longer is this the case

The problem not being able to complete it was 2 factors:

No.1: Unlike the 8-bit versions where the rope is easily seen, the Amiga version of the rope was hidden behind a thick branch hanging down which looked part of the tree which is seen in the background throughout the game so it was easily overlooked.

No.2: It wasn't easy to raise the log, it takes a weird joystick instruction to do it, I myself in a test run was punching and kicking endlessly trying to work out how to raise it until suddenly I worked out how to do it so was able to squash the Predator.

So with all that said here's the full game with true ending, I've used cheats of course but at least now the ending can be seen, It's nothing special but a god damn better reward than that lousy Game Over screen.
I've also tried timing out the explosion to see if there's a different ending but you just get the Game Over screen, at the end of the video I've also shown the bad ending where the Predator rips your spine out, enjoy.

Predator, full game with real ending screen: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by ZEUSDAZ; 12 September 2022 at 15:19.
Old 12 September 2022, 01:59   #2
DisasterIncarna

and so the chapter of this book ends correctly.
Old 12 September 2022, 02:02   #3
ransom1122

Thank you. +1 Like from me
Old 12 September 2022, 12:52   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

you legend!

... this game now sucks even more. Is it even possible to do this untrained?

Last edited by gimbal; 12 September 2022 at 12:58.
Old 12 September 2022, 14:53   #5
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

That's a sight to behold! Congrats!

I thought one of us was going mad when I first read this because I remember seeing that finale scene before. Now it's coming back to me. I'm sure it was Galahad who found it in the code, but it still wasn't clear if it was possible to display the image in-game by completing it properly as in the C64 version. We thought it might have been one of those 'cutting room floor' situations. That'll be it then.
Old 12 September 2022, 15:14   #6
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

That's just horrendous Although I was keeping an eye out, I didn't spot the 'rope' in your video until you started pulling on it. Awful.

Great job putting it to bed
Old 12 September 2022, 15:17   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
I'm sure it was Galahad who found it in the code, but it still wasn't clear if it was possible to display the image in-game by completing it properly as in the C64 version. We thought it might have been one of those 'cutting room floor' situations. That'll be it then.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89468

It's a WinUAE screenshot, so it seems that Galahad triggered it by accident (also reads like that in the thread).
Old 12 September 2022, 19:35   #8
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
you legend!

I aim to please
Old 12 September 2022, 22:49   #9
van_dammesque

Congrats!
Old 13 September 2022, 11:56   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah.

Now I wonder how Galahad triggered it by accident though, there is no way you can do it this way by accident. Maybe it'll happen automatically if you just hang around long enough and beat the tar out of the predator without exiting.
Old 13 September 2022, 12:23   #11
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Still, shit remains shitty
Old 13 September 2022, 13:55   #12
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah.

there is no way you can do it this way by accident. Maybe it'll happen automatically if you just hang around long enough and beat the tar out of the predator without exiting.

Actually that's exactly how it happened , first of all I stood around the 3 dangling branches (1 at a time) and messed around with the joystick and fire button whilst fighting the Predator when he approached, suddenly out of the blue I started to raise the log but still had no idea how I was doing this, eventually I sussed it, you wouldn't know unless you were told by someone how to do it or got lucky like I did
Just standing there will not do anything, you have to input instructions from the controller.

It's nice to be the first one at things,...in this case me sussing out the Predator real ending
Old 13 September 2022, 13:58   #13
jizmo
Registered Abuser

That rope has way better camouflage than Predator
Old 13 September 2022, 20:05   #14
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
and so the chapter of this book ends correctly.

Indeed, sad in a way but at the same time relieved
Old 25 September 2022, 17:21   #15
stobros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
I (like others) have uploaded this game in full before thinking there was no ending, even two other Amiga longplay videos on youtube state they show the real full game,...THEY DON'T!

For over 3 decades it was believed that it was not possible to correctly finish Predator 1 on the Amiga so all we had as a reward was a lousy Game Over screen with a score.

We all believed the programmers failed to put in place the rope near the end of level 4 which is needed to raise the giant log so you can squash the Predator and then run like hell before a massive explosion takes place,...well now I have finally worked out how to correctly finish it thanks to a sub who told me to take another look at the game and I can now reveal the true real ending of this game

Yes I know the game is a bit naff, It's boringly long and I've even featured it on my "Shit Game Time" series but It's always nice to see real endings in games and this one has been a myth for 34yrs,...but no longer is this the case

The problem not being able to complete it was 2 factors:

No.1: Unlike the 8-bit versions where the rope is easily seen, the Amiga version of the rope was hidden behind a thick branch hanging down which looked part of the tree which is seen in the background throughout the game so it was easily overlooked.

No.2: It wasn't easy to raise the log, it takes a weird joystick instruction to do it, I myself in a test run was punching and kicking endlessly trying to work out how to raise it until suddenly I worked out how to do it so was able to squash the Predator.

So with all that said here's the full game with true ending, I've used cheats of course but at least now the ending can be seen, It's nothing special but a god damn better reward than that lousy Game Over screen.
I've also tried timing out the explosion to see if there's a different ending but you just get the Game Over screen, at the end of the video I've also shown the bad ending where the Predator rips your spine out, enjoy.

Predator, full game with real ending screen: [ Show youtube player ]

Thanks a lot for the details and video. But I wonder what made people think there's no ending? I mean, it's obvious, there?
Old 25 September 2022, 19:20   #16
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by stobros View Post
Thanks a lot for the details and video. But I wonder what made people think there's no ending? I mean, it's obvious, there?
Because no-one knew how to actually complete the game to reveal it.

Only reason I saw it was because I hacked the game to see it.
Old 04 October 2022, 11:06   #17
Megalomaniac

Well, you can't accuse them of making it too easy. 34 years must be some sort of record - I know it took until 2016 for someone to 'perfectly' complete Lemmings 2 (saving every Lemming on every level), but this is ridiculous.
Old 05 October 2022, 20:16   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Not so ridiculous, you have to be crazy to willingly play this game