English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 October 2003, 21:43   #1
shilen

Angry Amiga Continously Crashing!!

My Amiga has spent the past 7 years in the loft and since resurecting it and playing all of the old games i am coming across a common problem, whilst playing games for half hour or so lines / spots start to appear on the screen quite randomly, this continues to get worse and worse until the screen eventually goes black and the game crashes. I reset my amiga without a disk in and the blue disk logo does not appear and the green light flashes on and off repeatedly. I have to leave my amiga off for half and hour or so before i can reload any game, any idea?

also - a friend has an A600 in his loft, is the A600 compatible to play all of the A500 games?

thanks

neil

Old 10 October 2003, 22:56   #2
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
sounds like a lose chip, shifting about as it warms up...

Time for some surgery

open your amiga up (I'm assuming it's an A500) and push all the chips down in their sockets...

don't screw the cover back on when you've done, just put it on top, play some games and if the problem still appears lift the cover and carefully check for any chips that feel really hot...
Old 11 October 2003, 00:11   #3
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Could also be a power supply problem.

The A-600 is not really compatible with all A-500 games, but mainly because of the Kickstart 2.0 chip. So, if you swap the Kick 2.0 for a Kick 1.3 you should be able to play 95% of all games ( only a few very old ones which need 512k only will not work )

Anyway, you could borrow your friends A-600 powersupply and connect it to your Amiga if it is an A-500/500+ or A-1200. The psu are compatible.
Old 14 October 2003, 18:29   #4
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
When you do the chip push thing! Give the whole amiga a dam good clean out. Ive found from past experience that a500's can throw a wobbly if they are choked up with dust and debris!
Old 20 October 2003, 18:03   #5
ravepants

This hapened to my A600 about 4 years ago.

I had to get the repair guy to sort it out!

After checking all the onboard chips and stuff it turned out to be disk drive controller.

Best thing to do is get hold of an air duster and give it a good clean, also you may want to get a freeze spray to see if any any chips are getting to hot.
Trouble is hot chips can be caused by quite a few things, power supply being the most common, alternatively you may have a dry joint on the board and this would require soldering.

Failing that you may find a helpful perdon at your local maplin who can help ( i used too )

Hope this helps..

rave....