English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 10 December 2008, 18:14   #1
Kola

Floppy disk WinUAE Rip from one HD onto another?? is this possible?

Hi,

Im wondering is it possible to set up winUAE with all my games and apps and files and even virtual hard drives etc etc and then clone that install to another PC?

If so is it a good idea to set up one machine and then make a copy of it to a disk as a back up. Is this possible?

Im guessing I would just copy the winUAE folder to the other machine or disk and it would work perfectly? As long as all my files V hard drives and games/apps etc are in there?

Or is this way too easy and simple and it acctually isnt possible.
Old 10 December 2008, 18:33   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Short answer : yes I would suggest you use relative paths for your disks, hardrives and kickstarts in your config files, so you can put it in any drive and subfolder on the new machine. I did it two times now (moving my whole stuff to a new machine) and it works perfect
Old 10 December 2008, 18:34   #3
Kola

Cheers CD

What do you mean by relitive paths?
Old 10 December 2008, 18:43   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Let's have an example :
You have you Amiga stuff in 'D:\Emu\Amiga' and the subfolders look like this :
Disks
Harddrives
Kicks
WinUAE

So when you specify a disk it would look like 'D:\Emu\Amiga\Disks\xxx.adf'. If you change it to '..\Disks\xxx.adf' it relative to your WinUAE executable. So you can put it in 'E:\Amiga_Stuff' on the new machine and as long as the subfolders are the same it will work without adjusting the paths. I hope you get the idea
Old 10 December 2008, 19:02   #5
Kola

hmmm, still baffled m8. If I just cut the whole winUAE folder on PC1 and paste it to PC2 wont the paths be exactly the same anyhow inside the folder?
Old 10 December 2008, 19:05   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
hmmm, still baffled m8. If I just cut the whole winUAE folder on PC1 and paste it to PC2 wont the paths be exactly the same anyhow inside the folder?
Yeah they will

...but I would also go with what Cyber has said. I do exactly the same thing with my WinUAE setup. Relative paths just add a bit extra of portability i.e. you can then move it to any drive / partition / directory.
Old 10 December 2008, 19:16   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
If you plan to put your WinUAE setup at the same location (same drive and same subfolder) then you don't have to change the paths, but like Damien said you can move your Amiga stuff wherever you want with relative paths. However either way you choose it will work
Old 10 December 2008, 19:51   #8
DH
Global Moderator

That is exactly what I have done, makes it very portable indeed
Old 10 December 2008, 20:01   #9
Kola

Thanks fellas. Makes it even better
Old 17 December 2008, 20:41   #10
Kola

Just a thought but if it is possible to transport an install why does no one set up all of the best states for download.

There are many guides on how to set up winUAE to emu a 1200 for EG but why a guide. Why not just have a download?

Just curious.
Old 17 December 2008, 20:45   #11
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Just a thought but if it is possible to transport an install why does no one set up all of the best states for download.
Not sure if I understand what you mean by "states", Amiga models? If so then that's what the "Quickstarts" are for.

If you mean configurations for games etc then this is what GameBase Amiga is for
Old 17 December 2008, 21:22   #12
Kola

No Damien. What I mean is if it is possible to say cut my win UAE install complete with hardrives etc and paste the whole thing on my laptop then why do guides exsist on how to set up WinUAE. Why doesn't it just come fully assembled and ready to go.

IE whats the point of me going through a guide when I could just download the file like the one I could cut of my laptop in the first place. In otherwords doing away the need to set up winuae.
Old 17 December 2008, 21:29   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hmm, the only thing you have to do is to scan the kickstart roms on a new PC. I think you can even cut that by using a INI file instead of the registry keys (I have never used it this way, so I can't tell you how it's done).
I also a bit confused what you mean by 'need to set up winuae' mate What do you need to set up other than the kickroms and maybe the paths?
Old 17 December 2008, 21:40   #14
thomas

Quote:
why do guides exsist on how to set up WinUAE. Why doesn't it just come fully assembled and ready to go.
Because it is illegal to share Workbench and Kickstart files. The only legal ready-to-use compilation is Amiga Forever. If you don't want to buy Amiga Forever, you have to buy real Amiga hardware and real Workbench floppy disks and create image files from them yourself.

There are also Amiga Classix CDs which come with legal Kickstart files, but no Workbench.

All other options which can be downloaded from the net containing Kickstart and Workbench images are illegal.

That's also the reason why emulation packages like ClassicWB, AIAB, AmiKit, AmigaSYS, etc. come without Kickstart and Workbench files and require you to obtain them elsewhere (e.g. through Amiga Forever).
Old 17 December 2008, 22:02   #15
Kola

Think ive lost everyone. I cant think of how else to explaine what I mean. As said was just curious so not a prob. Thanks anyhow
Old 17 December 2008, 22:15   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Think ive lost everyone. I cant think of how else to explaine what I mean. As said was just curious so not a prob. Thanks anyhow
If you have a specific question regarding the 'move' of WinUAE feel free to ask mate Maybe we can catch up this way
Old 17 December 2008, 22:34   #17
Kola

Ok m8,

Unless I have misunderstood the following is possible.

I can install winuae on my desktop. Then cut it and paste it on a USB memory stick. Then copy and paste it onto my laptop and it will work fine but may need to adjust paths.

Firstly is the above correct?
Old 17 December 2008, 22:35   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yes, so far it's correct Go on
Old 17 December 2008, 22:42   #19
Kola

Cool

So why cant you just download it in such a way. IE so the end user doesnt not have to set up CPU and RAM settings etc etc. Makes it more newbie friendly.

Point taken re workbench etc so just empty that folder of ROM files and dont install workbench but there's no copyright with setting up the hard drive.

Just wondering why it cannot be downloaded in the finished formant.
Old 17 December 2008, 22:47   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
If you mean configurations for games etc then this is what GameBase Amiga is for
I think here is your answer Kola You get a frontend that has ready-to-go setups for a lot of games. You can get a lot of the needed stuff on Magix FTP. You should try this if you don't want to set a config for each game (like I did ).