English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 08 October 2005, 16:56   #1
Bueller

WinUAE For Mobile Phones!

Just imagine how much fun this could be: a stripped down version of WinUAE for your mobile phone.

Never mind about all those ridiculous things like camera's and music players, lets have an Amiga emulator in our pocket's.

Some games might not port across too well (Lemmings: imagine trying to see those critters on a small screen!) and some games shouldn't be played on any platform (Thundercats). But games like Pang, New Zealand Story or Ikari Warriors could work well.

Apologies if anyone has already posted this idea, but I did have a lazy search through previous posts and couldn't see any other references to this.

This could be the greatest idea since the potato!

Old 08 October 2005, 19:57   #2
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Somehow i dont think Amiga games would look good (if viewable at all) on a postage stamp sized screen.

I currently have a D500 and a T610 .. and games are abs. bollox on them. The screens too tiny and control with the phones keypad is abysmal.
Old 08 October 2005, 20:42   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

Phones are "currently" not powerful enough to run a simple emu never mind something as complex as amiga.

Give it a couple of years tho!
Old 08 October 2005, 21:42   #4
onedevotee75

Yes thats fiction. But there is a great game available for mobile phones which works without UAE.... The Great Giana Sisters
Old 08 October 2005, 21:43   #5
RetroMan

There are more old games for mobiles, like Worms, SWOS, Turrican and others
Old 22 October 2005, 05:20   #6
Fackamato

Send a message via MSN to Fackamato
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
There are more old games for mobiles, like Worms, SWOS, Turrican and others
Where can I find these? Anyone know of a site where I can dl/purchase them?
Old 22 October 2005, 05:56   #7
OddbOd

PocketUAE already runs on Smartphones, badly I might add.
Old 22 October 2005, 19:25   #8
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamato
Where can I find these? Anyone know of a site where I can dl/purchase them?
If your phone is capable of downloading games, then somewhere in it's software should be an option to allow you to browse through a list of the available selections and download them for a fee that is added to your next phone bill. My service is with Verizon, and on their phones the "Buy it now" option in the phone's menus leads me there. I have Worms installed on my phone along with a few other games, and its not bad at all, given the constraints of the format.
Old 30 October 2005, 16:13   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

hmmmm very interesting I have a phone / MDA with a 400Mhz Intel(R)PXA272 processor... runs Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition V4.21.1088, 128MB Ram + 512MB Store

#Has a screen size similar to the GBA with 16Bit*320x250*#

Now all i have to do is:

(a) find a emulator that runs on it (i am happy with GBA or NES games lol UAE would be heaven)
(b) triple check to see if ther IS a linux client (this would be 7th Heaven here)
(c) Get DOOM I or II running on my mobile!!!!!!!!!

hmmm immma thinking GOOGLE + METACRAWLER + ASTALAVISTA search time lol

if any one has any details on how i much acheive the points raised i would appreciate it
Old 31 October 2005, 11:47   #10
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
(a) find a emulator that runs on it (i am happy with GBA or NES games lol UAE would be heaven)
(b) triple check to see if ther IS a linux client (this would be 7th Heaven here)
(c) Get DOOM I or II running on my mobile!!!!!!!!!

hmmm immma thinking GOOGLE + METACRAWLER + ASTALAVISTA search time lol

if any one has any details on how i much acheive the points raised i would appreciate it
While I don’t condone piracy.. you really should try one of the old p2p networks where everyone has some small files like E-mule. Almost none of the sites will carry doom.wad or (boot) roms and the emulators are often written for some specific version. A simple search on MDA and a half a day on E-mule and most of your emulation needs should be satisfied

On a small side note, I’ve got a p900, and I’ve never seen a more whiney/rude community in my whole life. It’s just like someone hidden a “mommy I want my new game” virus some where in the board scripts.
Old 11 December 2005, 06:48   #11
jobro

I can understand that this would be a great future addon? But seriously, why on earth in a mobile phone?

1. The screensize is way to tiny (64x96) on my nokia 3510.

2. The sound is to wimp (oh yeah I can feel the amiga vibe through a 4 channel midi file).

3. Processor capacity, I'm having a hell running winUAE on my P4 2.2gHz computer. So why bother with an amiga emulator on mobile phones?
Old 11 December 2005, 17:16   #12
Fackamato

Send a message via MSN to Fackamato
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobro
I can understand that this would be a great future addon? But seriously, why on earth in a mobile phone?

2. The sound is to wimp (oh yeah I can feel the amiga vibe through a 4 channel midi file).

3. Processor capacity, I'm having a hell running winUAE on my P4 2.2gHz computer. So why bother with an amiga emulator on mobile phones?

There's Quake 3 for PDA's now, albeit slow, it works. My cellphone has a resolution of 220x180 or something like that, and has no trouble playing back mp3/wav etc (w800), but not the processor capacity. someday it will be possible... :>
Old 12 December 2005, 11:20   #13
jobro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamato
There's Quake 3 for PDA's now, albeit slow, it works. My cellphone has a resolution of 220x180 or something like that, and has no trouble playing back mp3/wav etc (w800), but not the processor capacity. someday it will be possible... :>
Oh really? Quake3? Damn that's hot.
Old 12 December 2005, 15:11   #14
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamoto
someday it will be possible... :>
Fujitsu-Siemens plan to have a VGA (with graphics accelerator) phone that will be powerful enough to run Q3 on the market by mid-2006, it's a fair bet other manufacturers are cooking up something similar.

A chicken in every pot and an Amiga in every pocket, sounds pretty good to me
Old 20 December 2005, 22:03   #15
Dizzy
Pirate

you can use a nes emu on most newer cellphones but well it's only work with some games.

I tried the Rick dangerous clone but it sux.. Speedball is a little fun.
Defender of the crown is good. But funny to see how the old games comes back on the cellphones
Old 21 December 2005, 19:22   #16
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobro

Screensize isn't a problem on smartphones. Most of em are even bigger then the handhelds. It's more about the game design. Sonic is great, benefactor would prol be crap.

Sound works fine with headphones, most of them are built with mp3 in mind.

Processor will solved with time... right now Megadrive works just fine with frameskip 1. A500 emulation with some speedhacks like fellow had should be just fine on the next generation.