English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 June 2005, 01:22   #1
Runey
Survivor

GameBaseAMY Disaster

DISASTER

My house has been broken into and everythings gone. They took my computer, laptop, portable HDD and stacks of CDs and DVDs. As well as other household items. My only access to the web for now is via my work laptop (and the only reason that wasn't stolen too was because I forgot to take it out of my car like I'm meant too)

My computer had the latest working version. There were backups on my laptop and portable HDD. Older backups existed on various DVD-RWs. There are hundreds of DVDs scattered all of the floor (and house). So with luck I may be able to find an older backup. Otherwise I have lost the lot

and I was so close to releasing the next version I had finished the installer (auto detected both GameBase and WinUAE), had title shots for 95%+ of all games, had ripped music for the vast majority of games, had enetered all the year, publisher, player information and tested around 500 games.

Right now I can't think of starting over... It's just too depressing.... Maybe once all the insurance goes through and I start replacing all my stuff....

I'll update the website with this news once I get access to the right software.
Old 21 June 2005, 01:31   #2
oldpx

That's terrible! But you don't need to hear this from me now. I'm really sorry and don't know what to say except, immediately returning to work on GameBaseAMY might not be the best thing for YOU at the moment. It's just a project, you need to get well first.

Old 21 June 2005, 01:39   #3
Runey
Survivor

Thanks pxscroll. I'm sure I'll back to it sooner rather than later. Just hard when you know you've done it all before (anyone say deja-vu)
Old 21 June 2005, 02:11   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Jesus man, that is harsh.

Sorry to hear for your loss, not just for the stuff that's been nicked but the effort you've put in.

I hope it's all retrievable and that everything works out man. Really I do.
Old 21 June 2005, 12:12   #5
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Ouch, that's terrible news, as KG says the loss of your stuff is bad enough (but at least your insured) but for all the effort you put in only for it to get taken away so close to completion..Truly sorry to hear that man.
Old 21 June 2005, 13:22   #6
Runey
Survivor

Thanks Belgarath and KG

Work has kindly loaned me a decent laptop (better than my usual one)... So at least I can start scouring through all the DVDs strewn about the place... Unfortunately I don't write on the DVDs themselves, just the cases (to prevent damage).... So it will be a long slow process (there's probably a couple hundred)....

Fingers crossed
Old 21 June 2005, 19:37   #7
RCK
Administrator

Good luck dude !
Old 26 June 2005, 01:38   #8
Mangar
Got the fever back

I know exactly how you feel, Runey. I think this project is cursed.

Anyways, once I get a computer at home again I can help you get back on track. Hopefully soon.
Old 26 June 2005, 05:22   #9
Runey
Survivor

As always help (and sympathy ) is appreciated

I'm still sifting through DVD backups (what left of them). Looks like 25 - 33% were smashed to pieces But about 150 survived. I've been through about half so far. Slow going because I'm rebuilidng my ROM collection as I go (which WAS around 400Gig) My Amiga stuff is now about 90% complete (compared to 99% before)

I have found a VERY OLD backupof GBA. At least it gives me some of my code back, but no titles, music or test data. Still looking
Old 13 July 2005, 08:30   #10
Runey
Survivor

Well I've finished going through all my shit and I've got all my replacement hardware and life is back to normal.

The last version of GBA I could find a back up of was 0.1c So I've lost at least several months work

With that in mind I've decided to take break... I'm going on holiday (vacation) in September... I won't be doing ANY work on GBA until after that... After my break I want to get stuck back into it with renewed vigour... Still don't expect anything until Christmas...

So thanks for all your support and keep an eye out for the all new and improved GBA for Xmas
Old 13 July 2005, 22:09   #11
dirkies
Zone Friend

check eBay for it, it may resurface soon!

I guess you know what to do next...!

get the bastards!
Old 13 July 2005, 22:50   #12
Runey
Survivor

Unfortunately I doubt the morons even know what they stole

none of my hardware has shown up on eBay or our local pawn shop yet

and if I ever do find the bastards

Personally I think it was arshole next door neighbors but I can't prove it. Moving after Xmas to get away from them.
Old 14 July 2005, 14:22   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'm pleased you found the backups, just a shame that you had done so much work since then

Once you have a break and a think I'm sure you'll get back into with renewed vigour, and if not who can blame you!!

I know how it feels to be burgled, when my flat was burgled they nicked everything except my Amiga so I guess I was lucky, though I did lose my TV, stereo, Scsi Cdrom & squirrel i/face and loads more!!
Old 14 July 2005, 23:36   #14
Runey
Survivor

Thanks Bippym

I guess if I look on the bright side I've got all new hardware now and they didn't touch my Amiga hardware So I didn't lose my A500, A600, A1200 and CD32 plus all the bits to go with it A590, A570, SX1, accelerators, memory boards etc...
Old 14 July 2005, 23:49   #15
Ironclaw
Banned

If someone would have broken into my home and stolen both my backups and the original files of my games and tons of projects.... I would go crazy!. And if.... just somehow I found out who that person was.... omg, I would kick his ass so HARD, I wouldn't care if I went to jail.
Old 15 July 2005, 04:07   #16
BippyM
Global Moderator

i'm sorry but revenge over something like that isn't worth going to prison for!

Imagine being locked eup with NO amigas!!!