English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 May 2020, 10:40   #1
psoma

A500 CPU switcher to disable accelerator?

Hi,

Is there a board on the market that will allow me to switch between a 68000 and my TF534 so that games that are incompatible or too fast on the 68030 can be run on the 68000?

I had a VXL accelerator that had this (essentially the 68000 was piggy backed onto the VXL board and toggled by a jumper) and it would be neat to do again.
Old 30 May 2020, 14:41   #2
Liqourice

With the VXL you can/could do it through software as well. I know since I have one.
Old 30 May 2020, 17:19   #3
dalek

There's one on a1k called 'Garlic'..
Old 30 May 2020, 17:32   #4
Misclegend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoma View Post
Hi,

Is there a board on the market that will allow me to switch between a 68000 and my TF534 so that games that are incompatible or too fast on the 68030 can be run on the 68000?

I had a VXL accelerator that had this (essentially the 68000 was piggy backed onto the VXL board and toggled by a jumper) and it would be neat to do again.
you are wasting your time thinking about unnecessary mods
there are not enough problematic games which will not work on a 030 or games which you can't found a whdload install for it

just use relokick 141 in some extraordinary case
if you think I'm not right: name those games you can't make to work in ur A500
Old 30 May 2020, 23:04   #5
psoma

It’s not a ROM issue, it’s more of a speed issue...

Street Rod 1 and 2 and Shufflepuck Cafe all run too fast to be playable on anything other than a stock 68000 even through WHDLoad.

@dalek - will check out Garlic, cheers.
Old 31 May 2020, 05:36   #6
Misclegend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoma View Post
It’s not a ROM issue, it’s more of a speed issue...

Street Rod 1 and 2 and Shufflepuck Cafe all run too fast to be playable on anything other than a stock 68000 even through WHDLoad.

@dalek - will check out Garlic, cheers.
those games have whdload installs, so they are tested on fast amigas and must run fine if you use your brain and you set the correct tooltype ...ie nocache, expchip etc

those game are horrible and outdated btw, I would not waste a neuron or waste my time to play such trash
Old 31 May 2020, 06:06   #7
Radertified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misclegend View Post
those games have whdload installs, so they are tested on fast amigas and must run fine if you use your brain and you set the correct tooltype ...ie nocache, expchip etc
Not all games have installs that work flawlessly on accelerated hardware, even with tooltypes. It's an ongoing process to update them.

Quote:
those game are horrible and outdated btw, I would not waste a neuron or waste my time to play such trash
Street Rod 1 and Shufflepack Cafe are classics in my mind, and in the mind of many others. Street Rod 2 is probably just as good but I haven't played it enough to give my point of view. That said, to each their own and if you don't enjoy them, that's cool.
Old 31 May 2020, 23:13   #8
psoma

Quote:

It's as if I was blind and now I can see! After pointing out that Street Rod and Shufflepuck Cafe were horrible and outdated, I did some digging... and - are you sitting down? It turns out the Amiga isn't quite considered avant-garde itself these days!

I've wasted so many neurons on what turns out to be "old" technology - thank you Dr Misclegend, you've restored my sanity.

I'm off to buy a Panasonic 3DO.