English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 August 2017, 18:46   #1
Deaths_Head

polymega - modern retro console

Has anyone seen this? http://polymega.com/

A new retro console in the vein of the retron 5. with the exception that it also supports cd/dvd based consoles. it also supports the playing from the discs/carts as well as being able to install them to the on board storage.

formats supported at the moment; Nes, Snes, Megadrive, MegaCD, Turbographx, NeoGeoCD, and Playstation 1

with more potentially planned for the future such as; Saturn and Dreamcast

would be nice if they eventually add CD32 too
Old 08 August 2017, 19:29   #2
eXeler0

Although I find modular concepts intriguing, I'd say they have some tough times ahead of them.
If they can sort it all out and get it all work like a charm and become the standard "Old console" replacement brand then they might be on to something. Just don't know how big that market is..
The biggest user base surely is Nintendo/ SEGA and those already have the RETRONS and the recent MINI CLASSIC versions and what not. Would they go and buy yet another gadget for the same thing...?
Old 08 August 2017, 21:58   #3
Amiga1992

Retron 5 is not really great, it's stuck in a middle ground between getting all the consoles to play the games versus just using an emulation setup based on a Raspberry Pi.
In my view either option is a lot more valid than a Retron, and this product seems to fail in the same way.
Old 30 December 2017, 18:39   #4
Deaths_Head

I've been watching this Polymega console a bit closer. I sold it short by comparing it to the retron 5.

The guys at Polymega are trying to create a viable retro focused platform featuring online broardcast capabilities such as twitch, youtube etc, with the possibility of adding more systems as the format grows with some talk of its own storefront for indi releases too, its looking very interesting.

As older hardware fails and becomes harder to repair (my sega saturns drive packed up a while ago) I think its imperative that new hardware is developed to play the old library's of games going into the future.

The hybrid emulation method sounds very intriguing too, with some impresive early results such as the enhanced snes/megadrive cartriges working pretty well. And improved loading times on the neo geo cd when playing from the cd.
Old 30 December 2017, 23:53   #5
idrougge

SNES and Megadrive will stop working at about the same pace that people stop caring about them.
Old 31 December 2017, 07:25   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

And the newer consoles will have problems with the CD laser (though my Sega Saturn is going strong for more than 20 years) , but people are working on another way to load games.

If what we get for replacement for old hardware dying is stuff akin to the Retron 5, I'd say we better take very good care of our hardware.
Old 31 December 2017, 09:01   #7
MickGyver

The input lag on the Retron 5 makes it unusable in my opinion. Android based devices seem to suffer from input lag, same with emulators on Android phones etc. It's fine if you just want to test some games I guess, but actually playing games is not fun/easy.

I couldn't find any other info about the Polymega's system other than it's going for a hybrid emulation thing, 50% hardware and 50% software, whatever that means. It also mentioned "minimal lag", will be interesting to see where this project goes.