English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old Yesterday, 19:11   #1
amigakit.com

New Final Writer 7 Pre-Installed on A600GS

Cardiff, 2 June 2024

Full News Release (click here)

Final Writer has been in put back into active development over recent years.
Version 7 will soon will make it's debut pre-installed on the A600GS computer.

AmigaKit Ltd and Timothy Deters are pleased to announce that a special edition of Final Writer 7 will be pre-installed on the A600GS alongside it's other updated applications of OctaMED 8, PPaint 7.4 and Directory Opus 4. Final Writer can be started from AmiBench, the desktop environment and will open on a 1080P screen.

Final Writer 7 Special Edition is fully functional with the exception of the Spell Checker module which will be offered to A600GS users as an optional paid upgrade.

Matthew Leaman, MD of AmigaKit Ltd commented on the collaboration: “We are very pleased to work with Timothy bundling the brand new edition of Final Writer on the A600GS low cost hardware platform. Final Writer is popular and much loved Amiga word processor. A significant amount of hard work has gone into bringing this application back to our community to the credit of Timothy and his developers. New versions of Final Writer complementing OctaMED and Personal Paint represents the renewal of Amiga applications.”

Timothy Deters, owner of Final Writer added: “I'm happy to have come to an agreement with AmigaKit to include Final Writer with their system. I’d like to thank the developers who worked on this project and have been instrumental to its completion."

The A600GS computer system is due for launch in the second quarter of 2024.

Additional Information about A600GS, AmiBench and it's components can be found on these websites:

A600GS: www.a600gs.com

Last edited by amigakit.com; Yesterday at 20:25.
Old Today, 12:08   #2
Cammy

This is fantastic news! Final Writer is a wonderful desktop publishing program, it's so exciting to see it back in active development and awesome to see it bundled with other updated Amiga software with an upcoming Amiga computer product, just like the good old days!
Old Today, 12:37   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Very interesting. I doubt people will create new work using Final Writer 7 (except for fun) but it does mean that documents that already exist can be opened.

I'm not familiar with it's file open/save capabilities but document format conversion to/from popular Windows and MacOS document formats (or at least RTF) would be appreciated.
Old Today, 14:11   #4
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Very interesting. I doubt people will create new work using Final Writer 7 (except for fun) but it does mean that documents that already exist can be opened.

I'm not familiar with it's file open/save capabilities but document format conversion to/from popular Windows and MacOS document formats (or at least RTF) would be appreciated.
I use mostly google docs as I enjoy the font render as much as word, whereas not so much in the case of open office. That to say that it shouldn't be more featured rich then FinalWriter, so I guess it can fit most use cases out there.
Old Today, 15:18   #5
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
I use mostly google docs

I prefer to keep my written docs private. This is definitely an advantage of using FW7.
Old Today, 15:30   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
I prefer to keep my written docs private.
For all intents and purposes they ARE private. There has never been a reported direct hack of Google Docs so they are not readable by anyone else other than Google but they don't. As it says in their terms and conditions they only read them when they have been given explicit permission in Law (e.g. court order) to do so. (Sorry for going off topic)
Old Today, 15:37   #7
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post

I prefer to keep my written docs private. This is definitely an advantage of using FW7.
Ok, to each each own I guess, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.