English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 25 March 2020, 13:03   #1
BarryB
Amigaholic

D-Generation AGA by Classic, problem with WinUAE A1200 Quickstart

Have the Classic 2 Disk AGA crack of D-Generation but it won't run in WinUAE (4.2.1) with the default A1200 quickstart which ony has DF0: It shows a shell window as it's loading then get asked to insert Disk 2, so I drag/drop Disk 2 into WinUAE where it loads a bit then asks for Disk 1 so drag/drop Disk 1 it into WinUAE and then it loads a bit more then get a quick black screen flash then drops back to shell?

I tried ejecting the disk and going back into WinUAE then using F12 to insert the relevant disks but it does the same thing?

If I boot with no startup and just run 'dgen' the same thing happens, so it's not the cracktro or setpatch in the startup-sequence causing the issue!

If I enable 2 drives it works fine, it does change to a black screen after a while as it loads!

Anyone else observe the same behaviour?
Old 25 March 2020, 14:11   #2
Solo Kazuki

Why You don't use HD installed or WHDLoad version of this game?
Old 25 March 2020, 14:24   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

I simply want to know why it won't work with 1 disk, not everyone had 2 drives or a Hard Disk with their A1200, most other 2 disks games I tried work fine on a single drive A1200 config.
Old 26 March 2020, 19:17   #4
BarryB
Amigaholic

Seems the Classic AGA crack is actually a CD32 rip put onto 2 disks! It has a libs folder with lowlevel.libray and nonvolatile.libray, which are in the CD32's ROM, and won't work without them, those files are not on the disk version!

So, after looking at the files on the Disk version against the Classic version there were files on Disk 1 that should be on Disk 2 and vice versa! So, making a new set of disks from the Classic release that mirrors the Disk release, it now works with one drive and puts up a grahical prompt to swap disks, previously it was a workbench prompt!

Probably they only tested it with 2 drives?
Old 26 March 2020, 22:02   #5
redblade
Zone Friend

When you open _LVOOpenLibrary() I think it checks LIBS: first then the Programme dir.
If the libs: were on the non bootable disk it most probably wouldn't have found them. lowlevel.library comes standard with workbench 3.1 in the LIBS dir.
Old 26 March 2020, 22:38   #6
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
When you open _LVOOpenLibrary() I think it checks LIBS: first then the Programme dir.
If the libs: were on the non bootable disk it most probably wouldn't have found them. lowlevel.library comes standard with workbench 3.1 in the LIBS dir.
No, libs is on the bootable disk as the program loads, remove libs and it gurus, let it load again and it asks for Disk 2 then Disk 1 then gurus
Old 27 March 2020, 11:21   #7
Solo Kazuki

As Redblade mentioned that libs are not only for CD32, also A1200 is using them. You can use both NVRAM (and redirect it anywhere you will, e.g. to HDD) and CD32 joypads (some A1200 games have option to use CD32 joypad in standard).

And what about other versions of game? Try another crack or original version.
Old 27 March 2020, 13:51   #8
BarryB
Amigaholic

This was one I had in my collection and wanted to know why it didn't run with one drive, those libs are needed and they are on the CD32 version but not the disk version so I figured it was a CD32 rip that was badly put onto 2 disks!

It's fixed now but suffers from the joystick FIRE not working so you have to press SPACE, something that doesn't happen on the CD32 version!

I know I can use another version, but that wasn't the issue here, it was a matter of WHY this version didn't work and the reason was a badly compiled CD32 rip!