English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 May 2003, 16:20   #1
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Question Amiga hard drive on uae question!

Guys!

Is it possible to take a small drive.... say 1gig in size! then connect this up to an ide port on my pc and then use Uae to find it and format it as an amiga drive?

then be able to take the drive over to an a1200 with the same specs as my uae config and use it?

Old 08 May 2003, 20:17   #2
thomas

Yes.

You need WinXP or 2000 for that. And the drive must be empty, there must not be a PC partition table (MBR) on it.
Old 08 May 2003, 21:45   #3
ElectroBlaster

cool im running XP pro
Old 24 May 2003, 06:19   #4
ElectroBlaster

K i had a go! and got nothing

i had to use my spare raid ports that also act as extra ide's! the drive is picked up ok but XP kicks off and bsods on me warning that there is a problem?

anyway! i booted off a 98se floppy and the drive appeared and i could format it etc! only thing i havent done is wipe the mbr off.. could it be that causing xp to kick off?

what about if the drive was formatted for amiga first? should xp kick off like this?
Old 28 May 2003, 14:53   #5
Chipmunk_UK_1

Send a message via ICQ to Chipmunk_UK_1 Send a message via MSN to Chipmunk_UK_1 Send a message via Yahoo to Chipmunk_UK_1
I recently tried to do this too, so I thought I would share my experiences/tips while doing it...

I had a spare 2GB drive sitting on my desk for ages, so I attached it to my raid controller, windows as usual, found it, and gave it a drive letter (it was a DOS formatted HD at the time...)

WinUAE didn't pick it up (obviously because it wasn't empty), so I went into drive manager, and deleted all partitions on that drive (so it was empty), WinUAE still wouldn't pick it up (not empty enough?)

As I was playing with the WinUAE sources anyway, I disabled the protection code that prevents WinUAE from picking up non empty / non amiga drives. WinUAE now picked up my drive (whoohoo!), so I booted into Workbench 3.1, and ran HDToolbox... Uhoh... it doesn't pick up the drive?? Hmm... So I boot into OS3.5, that version of HDToolbox picked up the drive and allowed me to partition and format it (oh yes, cooking on gas now!).

I installed WB3.1 on the drive, and then rebooted UAE... What's this?? It won't boot??

Looking at the boot menu (hold both mouse buttons down while resetting... that needs three hands with jit enabled... ) Ah! Looks like my drive isn't a bootable device?!

Looking at the source code again, it being quite late by this time, I just rem'd out one line of code (something about disabling booting on some devices?), and got it booting! (yay!)

going back to a non hacked version of WinUAE, my drive still wasn't being picked up... strange that, so I rebooted windows (not much to loose at this point...) After that, the non hacked WinUAE picked up the drive in the list... (it seems that windows caches information on the drives?) but still it isn't bootable

So far, I've not had XP bluescreen on me complaining about the drive...

Any ideas why WinUAE would disable booting for this drive? (Did I miss a step, or is that intentional?)
Old 28 May 2003, 16:43   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Partition's "Bootable"-checkbox is not ticked in hdtoolbox? (Partitions are non-bootable by default)
Old 28 May 2003, 21:01   #7
Chipmunk_UK_1

Send a message via ICQ to Chipmunk_UK_1 Send a message via MSN to Chipmunk_UK_1 Send a message via Yahoo to Chipmunk_UK_1
Doh! how did I miss that!?