English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 September 2016, 12:21   #1
Sinphaltimus

Issues adding screenmodes

I opened a trouble ticket with AmigaKit but if it's not their adaptor issue, I doubt they'll be able to help.

I want to preface this post by saying I am aware of the 15khz single of the Amiga and what type of VGA monitor I would need. This issue is not up to that point yet.

I'm attempting to add screen modes as per every instruction I've come across (aproximately 3 total that were all basically he same info).

First I reassured the tech support person that yes, I am indeed positive I have the screen mode icons in the correct drawer.

"Yes I'm positive they are in the HDD DEVS drawer.

I tried copying them from the installation floppies, then I moved them over from the HDD Storage drawer.

Then I edited my WB startup-sequence. It was like this by default:
Code:
IF EXISTS DEVS:Monitors
IF EXISTS DEVS:Monitors/VGAOnly
EVS:Monitors/VGAOnly
EndIF

C:List _NIL: DEVS:Monitors/~(#?.info|VGAOnly) TO T:M LFORMAT "DEVS:Monitors/$s"
Execute T:M
C:Delete _NIL: T:M
EndIF
I tried editing it to list Multiscan and DblNTSC as well. All giving the same result.

I try double clicking the icons in the monitors drawers, nothing changes.

It is a fresh new clean install of WB3.1 from Cloanto. Only enough installed to mount my devices and partitions. 1MB CHIP Ram with no FastMem.

Everytime I go in to Screenmode, only NTSC and PAL settings are there for low/hi res 6xx x 4xx resolutions at 15.xx hz

And yes, I reboot the Amiga each time I make a change to the startup sequence.

I'm stuck with no ideas on how to get this to work."

EDIT:

I had a typo in my Startup Sequence above - That was from my entry. Here is my actual startup-sequence copied from the Amiga with DblNTSC selected to try but still same issue. Nothing in screenmodes.

Code:
; $VER: Startup-Sequence_HardDrive 40.5 (30.12.99)
; Startup-Sequence for hard drive systems
;
; Amiga Forever Classic Support edition © Cloanto ® 1999
; http://cloanto.com/kb/16-120

C:Version >NIL: exec.library 45 20
If WARN
  C:SetPatch QUIET
EndIf

C:Version >NIL:
C:AddBuffers >NIL: DF0: 5
FailAt 21

C:MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards RAM:ENV RAM:ENV/Sys
C:Copy >NIL: ENVARC: RAM:ENV ALL NOREQ

Resident >NIL: C:Assign PURE
Resident >NIL: C:Execute PURE

Assign >NIL: ENV: RAM:ENV
Assign >NIL: T: RAM:T
Assign >NIL: CLIPS: RAM:Clipboards
Assign >NIL: REXX: S:
Assign >NIL: PRINTERS: DEVS:Printers
Assign >NIL: KEYMAPS: DEVS:Keymaps
Assign >NIL: LOCALE: SYS:Locale
Assign >NIL: LIBS: SYS:Classes ADD
Assign >NIL: HELP: LOCALE:Help DEFER

BindDrivers
C:Mount >NIL: DEVS:DOSDrivers/~(#?.info)

IF EXISTS DEVS:Monitors
  IF EXISTS DEVS:Monitors/DblNTSC
    DEVS:Monitors/DblNTSC
  EndIF

C:List >NIL: DEVS:Monitors/~(#?.info|DblNTSC) TO T:M LFORMAT "DEVS:Monitors/%s"
  Execute T:M
  C:Delete >NIL: T:M
EndIF

SetEnv Language "english"
SetEnv Workbench $Workbench
SetEnv Kickstart $Kickstart
UnSet Workbench
UnSet Kickstart

C:AddDataTypes REFRESH QUIET
C:IPrefs
C:ConClip

Path >NIL: RAM: C: SYS:Utilities SYS:Rexxc SYS:System S: SYS:Prefs SYS:WBStartup SYS:Tools SYS:Tools/Commodities

IF EXISTS S:User-Startup
  Execute S:User-Startup
EndIF

Resident Execute REMOVE
Resident Assign REMOVE

C:LoadWB
EndCLI >NIL:

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 29 September 2016 at 12:42.
Old 29 September 2016, 12:44   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Two possible reasons:

a) system misdetecting genlock because adapter is unbuffered and your monitor puts higher load to Amiga's sync signal lines.

Does the behavior change if you reset the system with monitor switched off?

b) another reason is OCS Agnus and/or Denise. Both needs to be ECS.
Old 29 September 2016, 12:52   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
I tried editing it to list Multiscan and DblNTSC as well.
You must not edit this part of Startup-Sequence. You should never edit something you don't understand.

This section of Startup-Sequence already runs all monitor drivers from Devs/Monitors. It takes special action for VGAOnly because it has to be run first. By your editing you destroyed this correct handling.

VGAOnly is not a monitor driver, it is a modifier for the other drivers. Therefore, if it is needed, it has to be run first.

All you need to do is to move the required drivers from Storage/Monitors to Devs/Monitors and reboot.

If a double click on a monitor driver does not make its modes available, editing startup-sequence will not help at all.
Old 29 September 2016, 12:52   #4
idrougge

What Amiga are you using?
Old 29 September 2016, 13:50   #5
Sinphaltimus

I'm at work now, so I can't do anything for several hours.

I'm on an Amiga 500 rev5 with 1mb chip and no Fast ram. Gvp scsi for hdd.

I will put the startup back. I only tried all the various screenmode icons because the simple copy to devs monitors isn't working.

I'll try to let Amiga boot with monitor off when I get home to see if that makes a difference.
Old 29 September 2016, 14:56   #6
thomas

An A500 cannot do VGA modes. You need an A600 at least, better A1200 or A4000.
Old 29 September 2016, 16:51   #7
Sinphaltimus

Why in the world would amigakit sell this as an a500 adaptor?

It could be my ocs Denise. Maybe time to update her. And/or splurge for a scan doubler.
Old 29 September 2016, 18:06   #8
thomas

There are VGA monitors which accept 15kHz x 50Hz.

Do you mean this adapter? http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=183

It does not say A500 anywhere. And the red line clearly states that you need a matching monitor. I disagree with "most CRT monitors have no problem doing this", though. While most CRT monitors are able to do 50 Hz, they are as picky as TFT monitors regarding 15 kHz.
Old 29 September 2016, 18:09   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yes, you need ECS Denise for VGA modes (and other custom programmed modes).
Old 29 September 2016, 18:55   #10
Sinphaltimus

Thank you Toni. Amigakit tech support came across this post and emailed me that you were correct. I do need ecs. So it's time to get a super Denise. I already have a qmb Agnus, well this complete my ecs upgrade our do u needed to upgrade Gary as well?
Old 29 September 2016, 19:03   #11
Amiga1992

Just get an ECS machine, dude.
Old 29 September 2016, 19:18   #12
Sinphaltimus

Easier said than done. I accept donations.
Old 29 September 2016, 19:34   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Thank you Toni. Amigakit tech support came across this post and emailed me that you were correct. I do need ecs. So it's time to get a super Denise. I already have a qmb Agnus, well this complete my ecs upgrade our do u needed to upgrade Gary as well?
Gary does not need replacing. (Also there is no replacement)
Old 29 September 2016, 19:55   #14
Sinphaltimus

Awesome. Thank you. I will be upgrading my denise chip post haste.
Old 29 September 2016, 21:25   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Note that you'll probably be very disappointed with ECS VGA modes, doublescan modes use superhires and ECS shres has max 4 colors out of 64.. (AGA does not have this limit)
Old 29 September 2016, 21:44   #16
Jope
-

The A3000 is the only ECS machine where it's been in any way enjoyable to use the ECS VGA modes. :-/ The others are just too slow.
Old 29 September 2016, 22:16   #17
Sinphaltimus

Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice. With the prices of Amigas skyrocketing over the past few years, they are simply out of reach. So I'm trying to make my A500 work for what I want to do while saving up for a Vampire II board. Because I do believe an A500 with a VII is going to be better for me than any other amiga without such a board attached. And I'm not doing both.

I will be happy using MED, Fantavision and an art package on real Amiga hardware. For anything else (like games or what have you) there is emulation. Sure I could run it all in emulation but that would kill the spirit of my project(s).

I can't even grab a decent bare bones tested working system for what I would consider "worth it" but everyone's perspective, limitations and desires are different. I should never have sold off my gear back in '95 - If I die with any regrets, that will be one of them. My personal hell will be every Amiga dangling in front of me just out of reach for all eternity.

Everything I knew about Amiga faded in to oblivion over the years. The VII is the only reason I'm back because I don't want to work in emulation for everything.
Old 29 September 2016, 23:10   #18
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Gary does not need replacing. (Also there is no replacement)
I suppose I meant Paula? In other words, What all do I need for ECS? I hope an upgraded Denise is all. I already have the upgraded Agnus if I didn't mention it earlier.

Nevermind. Paula = Audio - got it.
Old 29 September 2016, 23:10   #19
Amiga1992

The Vampire 500 may never leave the current cycle of development where boards are made by hand and put up on ebay at a higher cost. We never know.

I understand very well that you don't have money to change, but to stick to the A500 perhaps you are facing it in the wrong way, like buying this Amigakit VGA adapter (which you shouldn't have bought).

There are television sets out on the streets all the time, and many of them can be modified to accept RGB signals if you an't stand composite. If I was you I'd go that way. Also it is possible to modify an A520 TV modulator to output S-Video. That is another way I'd go which would work with almost any TV set you may already have laying around.

Also last I heard updating your chipset to ECS will not be free or cheap, not like there are chips flying around for nothing, so I don't see your angle here.
Old 30 September 2016, 00:02   #20
Sinphaltimus

My long term goal.

TLDR - Combine 3 computer systems in to a single workspace. Can I just get my A500 connected to my TV?

Start of too long part:

I have 3 separate computer systems I want to merge in to one workspace.

My main PC rig has 4 screens. One of which is an HDMI TV with A/V, Composite, VGA and 3 HDMI ports. My PC rig is HDMI, I want the Amiga on the VGA port and my TI-99/4a on my A/V ports.

I develop on the PC. I recently returned to the TI-99/4a on an impulse purchase and now I'm developing on that platform as well. Relearning a lot all over again and beginning to learn Assembly Language on.

I'd enjoy doing the same on the Amiga.

I'm also a performer and I plan to integrate the TI and the Amiga in to my stage act in July of next year. I don't get paid for these performances, they are strictly for pleasure.

So on the one side, I'm using them to learn more than I know now since I'm primarily an artist and not a programmer, slowly becoming a better programmer. The TI and the Amiga were my first two computers that launched me in to multimedia and digital art.

I'm simply looking to use them to enhance that today.

TMI:

An accelerated A500 (if I could get a VII) has so many possibilities for me. Even my current config is very usable for certain things.

I have no interest in owning more Amigas or starting all over with a different model. Even if I end up spending a few more bux just to inch my way towards these goals, it will work for me. I may not be able to afford certain things i want today, but situations change all the time. So do minds. Perhaps a year from now I'll have the disposable money to drop on a few more Amigas, or maybe someone will come out with a super power brand new Amiga platform in 2018 that brings to the world the same impact it did when it came out in the late 80s early 90s. I dunno.

I can only speak for this project I have in mind and I'm doing what I can to accomplish it.

WAY TMI:

In a few weeks I'll be hacking it all into a PC case because my Amiga case is crumbling with age. $68 for a new chassis? Nope. Upwards of 3-400 bux for a VII? Hell yes. If it never happens, I'm sure someone will come along with another board that will speed up the Amiga, add ram and storage. Kipper did it a few times over. I'd be happy with the $80 IDE board if I could ever order one. I don't ask much, I don't want much. I just want what I have to work in the situation I would be most satisfied using it in.

Conclusion:

I hope that explains my "angle" a little. Oh and Nostalgia, yeah, I miss the Amiga from back in the day, but most of that is because it was actually back in the day.

Things seemed to be stirring up a bit. It looks like it could become more exciting all over again. Let's hope for the best.

Still going....

In the meantime, can I just get my A500 connected to my TV? I don't care about color limitations or quality or anything of that sort. I just want it on that screen.

*The End*