English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 25 December 2019, 16:35   #1
Armitage

MultiView can't open text or guide files

Hey all,

I'm completely new to setting up a system from scratch. I've got most of the issues solved at this point, but I'm at a bit of a loss on this one.

I have a completely fresh installation of 3.1.4, patched to 3.1.4.1 with BestWB 1.2. At some point, MultiView was working fine but now it is unable to open README files, .txt files, AmigaGuide files, etc. For example, the "Welcome!" that BestWB places on the Workbench used to open but no longer does:

"Unknown data type for BestWB.guide"

I have AmigaGuide in SYS:Devs/DataTypes and amigaguide.library in SYS:Libs and my PATH looks correct based on other threads here about MultiView:

PATH >NIL: RAM: C: SYS:Utilities SYS:Rexxc SYS:System S: SYS:Prefs SYS:WBStartup SYS:Tools SYS:Tools/Commodories Apps:vim-5.3

Any ideas where I should look? Thanks!
Old 25 December 2019, 18:15   #2
PeterK

The datatype descritors are in Devs:datatypes. It seems you have that.

The datatypes are in Sys:Classes/Datatypes, like amigaguide.datatype, text.datatype

You need an assign
Quote:
Assign >NIL: LIBS: SYS:Classes ADD
Check all assigns, also for Devs: and Libs: with the Assign command

and you need a line
Quote:
C:AddDataTypes REFRESH QUIET
and you need Libs:datatypes.library
Old 25 December 2019, 21:26   #3
Armitage

Thanks for the info! So it appears that I am completely missing SYS:Classes and everything in it. I have no idea how that could have happened. I'll try restoring the dir by cloning it from a fresh install and see what happens.

Update: it works now after cloning SYS:Classes from the install floppy and adding the lines you provided to my startup-sequence. Why is the Assign necessary anyway? I thought this would have worked right out of the box (it did work up at one point).

Last edited by Armitage; 25 December 2019 at 21:39.
Old 25 December 2019, 22:03   #4
PeterK

Multiview or any other tool using datatypes reads from "Libs:datatypes/xxxx.datatype" and not from "Sys:Classes/datatypes/xxxx.datatype".
Old 26 December 2019, 03:46   #5
Armitage

Good to know, thanks! Just to verify, I did a fresh 3.1.4 install in emulation and BestWB on top of that and in both cases the correct Assign line was present so either something I installed later removed the line or I messed it up accidentally.

Thanks for your help!