English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 06 January 2023, 15:08   #1
triki1

Amikit fs-uae

Hello, I installed Amikit under linux then I extracted the hdf to launch it with FS-UAE. So far everything is working. My problem is the launch of X64 applications. How to do with fs-uae? a solution?
Old 06 January 2023, 19:57   #2
tero

As far as i know Amikit uses Winlaunch to start those programs, that won't work on linux. But you can install Amikit with Lutris or PlayOnLinux to start programs on the host.
But I don't know how exactly as i don't use Amikit.
Old 06 January 2023, 20:35   #3
zx80

The Manjaro version of Amikit for the RaspberryPi uses host-run from Midwan, author of Amiberry. You could try if this works for you. Source code and precompiled binary are available from https://github.com/BlitterStudio/host-run. Not tested on Linux 64 yet.
Old 06 January 2023, 23:16   #4
triki1

Many thanks for your feedback. I will check out the github. And test ... We never know. I'll let you know if it worked
Old 07 January 2023, 12:07   #5
triki1

hello, i tried yesterday host-run with fs-uae. it doesn't work for me. Thanks anyway. I found this but I don't understand. The scripts and the way of doing things are missing.http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=103767
Old 08 January 2023, 07:52   #6
zx80

Quote:
Originally Posted by triki1 View Post
hello, i tried yesterday host-run with fs-uae. it doesn't work for me. Thanks anyway. I found this but I don't understand. The scripts and the way of doing things are missing.http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=103767
Seems the other thread you linked handles it different. It uses Linux crontab to scan a folder on the Linux file system for changes in background and fires up an event in case. This Linux folder is made accessible to fs-uae (e.g. mount folder as drive). Then the guy seems to create/copy a bash file from the Amiga side (e.g. AmigaDOS) with content to start a given Linux app to that specific folder, which then triggers crontab to execute this file. Not yet tested myself, but sounds interesting.
Old 22 August 2023, 06:38   #7
DisasterIncarna

yeah FS-UAE doesnt support the feature which is a shame, i also tried to do something similar to what others tried using external means, in my case i tried abusing the clipboard via a script, FS-UAE supports clipboard sharing so you can sort of fudge something useable by having a script look at the clipboard contents and launch a windows command/program (can be done on linux as well).

my weak current solution is: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...41#post1576041 with a quick preview of commands running on windows with output displayed in amigashell.

[ Show youtube player ]

naturally you can launch anything not just windows dos commands, launch VLC/Chrome/Firefox/whatever you like.
Old 25 October 2023, 00:44   #8
wiisoldier
Just loving the Amiga

Sorry to jump on this post a bit late, but I found it when I was trying to get AmiKit working on my RaspberryPi. After copying the required .hdf files and folders from a Windows install I tried to get it working on FS-uae. It did work - sorta, but had issues similar to the OP and was quite slow when running. When I took those files to an x64 laptop running Linux Mint it was quicker (with FS-uae again) but still had issues with running programs via RabbitHole. To try to get to the bottom of the problem I copied all the files from the system .hdf to a regular folder (this was after the Windows install and update) which gave me a better understanding of everything that was going on.
Loading this into an x64 linux PC showed some improvement, but not a lot. However it did give me a chance to look into all the start-up files to see what was going on. There are a few start up files (Startup-Sequence, User-Startup, AmiKit-Startup and AmiKit-StartOS are all used). After some edits to remove things which wouldn't work in Linux it worked quite well and started quite fast and I was reasonably happy with it running on FS-uae in Linux without the need for a "WINE" environment.
However, as DisasterIncarna stated, the programs in RabbitHole were a real PITA and getting them to work was beyond my knowledge.
So I threw the folders into my RaspberryPi4 and attempted it with Amiberry. I was amazed (after doing a few tweeks). The OS runs faster than even the Windows version. Getting the RabbitHole programs to work with "host-run" was very simple and so far all the programs work great, plus adding extras is quite straight forward.
I must say that the AmiKit OS is very comprehensive and very well maintained and I do recommend it. Getting the free version to run on a RaspberryPi was a bit of a feat as it took two-three days of re-programming, plus I had to re-learn a lot of Amiga stuff that I hadn't used for quite a few years. It will be interesting to see how I can configure it to work with any new programs I install and like many others I still dont see Amiga OS taking me away from my daily driver. My current setup has my Pi booting directly into AmiKit (emulated through Amiberry) with some linux programs available through RabbitHole. If I need the Linux OS then I just quit the emulation and return to my Linux desktop for my daily activities.
I see that AmiKit now offer a RaspberryPi version for sale and, although a little pricey, I may buy it to see what else it offers. It will also come with updates, so that would be great.
On a final note, I must say that Amiberry is getting better with every update and I really need to thank Midwan for his work (along with Toni Wilen for his excellent / amazing work on Winuae). If someone had told me in 1989 that I would still be playing with an Amiga in 34 years time, I would have laughed at them. However, here I am still enjoying all the fun it brings me now just like it did when I was in my mid-twenties.
wii
Old 25 October 2023, 20:42   #9
triki1

Hello everyone, I also tested Amiberry, I compiled it on my Linux x64. The host-run works very well. I then tried with fs-uae to see... I said to myself... maybe. well no it doesn't work with fs-uae. Later maybe. I also tried with clip and xclip on Linux. but the same, there is something stuck somewhere. This approach taught me a lot about both fs-uae and Linux, especially the commands.