English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 August 2014, 02:45   #1
fondpondforever

PhD in Amiga Chiptune Music

Do you think it would be possible to do a PhD in Amiga Chiptune Music? How awesome would that be, listening to your favourite cracktro music whilst producing your own cd.
Old 04 August 2014, 03:06   #2
Vot

Im sure some university would offer something equally as absurd. They hand out degrees in stupid specialities all the time now.. And worth about as much as toilet paper.
Old 04 August 2014, 05:08   #3
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondpondforever View Post
Do you think it would be possible to do a PhD in Amiga Chiptune Music? How awesome would that be, listening to your favourite cracktro music whilst producing your own cd.
A PhD may gain you some respect but an Engineering degree will get you something. That's why I'm an Amiga Certified Software Engineer (Distinction Pass) from ICOA since 2001. I've got the certificate (picture) to prove it. I didn't even have to go to school for 4 years or spend outrageous sums of money to become an Engineer. I deserve an honorary financial Engineering degree for that too .
Old 04 August 2014, 15:23   #4
fondpondforever

I'd rather teach my self the skills by listening to music, playing computer games and reading magazines. Save a lot of money to. Can you self certify yourself as a Doctor Of Amigajutsu?
Old 04 August 2014, 15:48   #5
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
Im sure some university would offer something equally as absurd. They hand out degrees in stupid specialities all the time now.. And worth about as much as toilet paper.
It does sound silly yes. And I think after spending 3 years working only with Amiga 'chip' tunes, you'd never want to hear another one for the rest of your life..
Old 05 August 2014, 00:10   #6
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
It does sound silly yes. And I think after spending 3 years working only with Amiga 'chip' tunes, you'd never want to hear another one for the rest of your life..
How can you say that about the classics? Video game chip tunes (mostly 8 bitters too) are what Linus Akesson refers to as the classics:

[ Show youtube player ]

Not only is he super talented at playing them but he creates and modifies a lot of his hardware and electronics too.

[ Show youtube player ]

When you can do all that, maybe you deserve a PhD but then who needs one at that point. We should send this guy an Amiga or an fpgaArcade. Talk about talented and creative.
Old 05 August 2014, 00:58   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Not only is he super talented at playing them but he creates and modifies a lot of his hardware and electronics too.
When you can do all that, maybe you deserve a PhD but then who needs one at that point. We should send this guy an Amiga or an fpgaArcade. Talk about talented and creative.
True. I've already seen those videos and he makes some impressive stuff. Maybe I just had a different idea of what a PhD would involve in this case. The work he put into his project is certainly more than what would be required for a PhD, although a PhD would demand some stuff on paper, like articles. Don't know if he did that as well.

But as you say, why would he need a formal PhD title? I wouldn't do him much good. His 'products' speak for themselves.

When I think of someone doing a PhD in chip music, I would consider it a kind of historian's thesis focusing on music on early computers, which is not what he is doing. He's more an artist using 8 bit music as a basis, although he would possess much of the knowledge which would be useful for the historian.
Old 05 August 2014, 04:05   #8
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Heh i was only joking I love computer music I'm a big nerd.. Although I prefer the c64 chiptunes ... I was just having a dig at the worthless degrees some unis offer these days.