English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 January 2021, 10:12   #1
CryptidWorks

Change Workbench Install Location?

I'm trying to install Workbench 3.1 and it's wanting to install to the drive with the Workbench floppy (which I can't eject because the installer floppy won't boot without it present on this set)

How do I change the install location to the virtual harddisk? It is set to bootable in both the WinUAE settings and the In-OS partition tools

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new to AmigaOS and I've only played around with Windows setups and VMs and this point.
Old 09 January 2021, 10:46   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

For the installation you have to use the floppy named "Install", during the installation you will be asked for the other floppies, on WinUAE you can use more floppy drives at the same time, in this way there will be less floppy requests.
Old 09 January 2021, 11:46   #3
CryptidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
For the installation you have to use the floppy named "Install", during the installation you will be asked for the other floppies, on WinUAE you can use more floppy drives at the same time, in this way there will be less floppy requests.
I think you've misunderstood the question

It's trying to install the OS to one of the floppy drives instead of my virtual hard disk and I don't know how to change the install location
Old 09 January 2021, 12:21   #4
zipper

Don't use the Novice mode - it tries to install onto the boot media. Use at least Intermediate, it allows to choose where to install.
Old 09 January 2021, 15:18   #5
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptidWorks View Post

It's trying to install the OS to one of the floppy drives instead of my virtual hard disk and I don't know how to change the install location
Not really a "support.WinUAE" issue; you'd be better to post in "support.Apps".

Anyway, you do need to select either "Expert User" or "Intermediate User" and then at this screen:
Select "No", click "Show Drives" and select "DH0:".

If you use "Novice User" then it tries to install over the floppy disk...
Old 09 January 2021, 16:26   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptidWorks View Post

OK, actually I misunderstood, what I don't understand now, what's the point of installing if the Workbench floppy is already bootable, plus there's not enough space in the floppy to install a system, unless you have an HD Floppy drive or want to use multiple Floppies.
Old 09 January 2021, 23:41   #7
CryptidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Not really a "support.WinUAE" issue; you'd be better to post in "support.Apps".

Anyway, you do need to select either "Expert User" or "Intermediate User" and then at this screen:
Select "No", click "Show Drives" and select "DH0:".

If you use "Novice User" then it tries to install over the floppy disk...
Shit, I'm apparently blind.

I kept I just ignoring that screen as more confirmations because I was looking specifically for a select directory prompt. A "can't see the forest through the trees' situation.

Thanks
Old 09 January 2021, 23:46   #8
CryptidWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
OK, actually I misunderstood, what I don't understand now, what's the point of installing if the Workbench floppy is already bootable, plus there's not enough space in the floppy to install a system, unless you have an HD Floppy drive or want to use multiple Floppies.
Beats me

Unless for some reason Amiga thought people would want to create a portable boot drive on a single HD floppy to carry around in the hope their systems would be become a common eco-system. Or just reads HDDs and floppy storage as the same thing and picks the first one it sees by default.
Old 10 January 2021, 00:09   #9
CryptidWorks

Okay, it's installed and now it's just booting into Amiga DOS instead of workbench
Old 10 January 2021, 10:59   #10
ma693541
Computer Wizard

In OP you said virtual HD, so I assume you use an .HDF in WinUAE then, make sure it's made bootable in WinUAE.