English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 July 2010, 00:18   #1
eternalcrusader
Zone Fiend

Unhappy Filter is slow as hell & USB gamepad gets autoselected as controller when I touch it

I've got Acer 5920G laptop (2GHz duocore, 2GB DDR2, GeForce 8600, Windows 7) and latest WinUAE. Everything works just fine except (graphics) filter(s), no matter what filter or settings, if I use any filter at all the sound lags and game gets major slowdowns.

Just wondering if anybody else has this happen to them and/or if there is something I can do ?

Drivers are all up to date etc. No problems with other games, programs or WinUAE features and filters (hq2-4x etc) work fine with other emulators but WinUAE gets major slowdown and becomes unplayable if I choose any filter...

It's a shame since I like the filters :/

edit: Actually got another issue too, I had this with older version as well. If I set controls to keyboard and press any button on USB gamepad, the WinUAE automatically changes the control config from keyboard to gamepad! This is occasionally annoying and really weird. I've been playing MAME games so long that I find it difficult and weird to push up to jump, so I set up joy2key software so that I could use gamepad button 3 for up and it'd work except that WinUAE changes from the keyboard to the gamepad and it's up for up again and nothing from button 3. Is there a way to force WinUAE keep control settings as I want them ? (I've saved 'em and tried everything but it just autoselects gamepad as controller whenever I touch the damn pad!).

I hope I made sense, english is not my mother tongue, it's hot as hell, I'm sleep deprived and going through painkiller withdrawal...

Last edited by eternalcrusader; 15 July 2010 at 00:27. Reason: removed typos, added stuff
Old 15 July 2010, 07:39   #2
amicrawler

uae emulator

have you tied it on linux very fast i'v tried it on wubi with windows 7 installed on it
http://wubi-installer.org/

works great get all your horse power out of your hardware and all so have you tied to clean out the cpu cache on your os like tmp var log files ? that will speed up things nicely

good luck cheers !
Old 15 July 2010, 09:06   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

hq2x filters are not compatible with UAE's way of doing graphics = 2 extra memory copy passes needed = slow. (and those "other" emulators generally use lower internal resolutions). Try D3D filters, they are usually much faster.

Autoswitch: make sure the pad is enabled in WinUAE's GUI. It only autoswitches devices if it is non-selected. (Input-panel, find the pad, tick top/left checkbox)