English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 December 2015, 20:42   #1
minefield

amiga value question

good day all

just an enquiry on what sort of price my amiga 1200 is worth with a blizzard 1260 installed and also usb floppy emulator and 4gb flash hd.

clean computer.

thanks

Old 01 January 2016, 02:51   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
£500+
Old 01 January 2016, 11:11   #3
minefield

woa .. thanks pal

Old 01 January 2016, 12:05   #4
Knoeki
Princess Knoeki

I wouldn't pay more than 500, though.
Old 01 January 2016, 12:33   #5
ptyerman

It's the Blizzard 1260 that's the biggest worth!
Old 01 January 2016, 12:51   #6
Amon_RA

You can easily get €1000 for that combination.
Old 01 January 2016, 19:35   #7
Knoeki
Princess Knoeki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_RA View Post
You can easily get €1000 for that combination.
That doesn't mean it's a reasonable price. This kind of bullshit kills the Amiga community harder than "illegally" spreading keyfiles for 20 year old unsupported software (:
Old 01 January 2016, 19:49   #8
Amon_RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoeki View Post
That doesn't mean it's a reasonable price. This kind of bullshit kills the Amiga community harder than "illegally" spreading keyfiles for 20 year old unsupported software (:
Bullshit? I don't think €1000 is a bullshit price nowadays... Have you tried buying a Blizzard 1260 recently? These things get older and finding a working one in good condition is getting harder. You see exactly the same price trend for other retro hardware.
Old 01 January 2016, 20:44   #9
Knoeki
Princess Knoeki

Right, but I feel like I'm seeing a trend where the prices go up by about a 100 euro every 3 months, and that seems ridiculous. I get the idea sometimes that all people do with these things is buy them, maybe stick them in their amiga for a few days, and then sell it again a few months later for +100 euro... and whether or not this is the trend for other retro hardware too isn't really relevant to me.

I'm saying it's bullshit because it's a ridiculous amount of money for hardware this old. I understand the value, but this way it seems like it only gets in the hands of people that have way too much cash laying around just using it to resell for more cash later on.

But I suppose I'm just bitter 'cause I don't have any of this stuff and will likely never be able to justify/afford any of it ;(
Old 01 January 2016, 20:55   #10
Amon_RA

I agree that the current prices are too high, I would like to buy Amiga stuff cheaper too I'm hoping cheaper FPGA cards will decrease the prices of older accelerator cards.
Old 01 January 2016, 22:51   #11
-Acid-

Take the Blizzard out and it's worth about 200, that leaves 800 euro for 1260? i'd never pay it for an A1200 card.
Old 01 January 2016, 23:35   #12
Amon_RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
Take the Blizzard out and it's worth about 200, that leaves 800 euro for 1260? i'd never pay it for an A1200 card.
There is still the floppy emulator (€20), the IDE CF (€10), and there's probably some RAM on the Blizzard 1260 too (64MB for €20)?

That leaves €750 for a Blizzard 1260... If it's a rev 6 cpu in good condition it will sell today.
If there's a blizzard scsi kit on the Blizzard it will sell for even more.
Old 02 January 2016, 15:50   #13
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Right, but I feel like I'm seeing a trend where the prices go up by about a 100 euro every 3 months, and that seems ridiculous. I get the idea sometimes that all people do with these things is buy them, maybe stick them in their amiga for a few days, and then sell it again a few months later for +100 euro... and whether or not this is the trend for other retro hardware too isn't really relevant to me.

But I suppose I'm just bitter 'cause I don't have any of this stuff and will likely never be able to justify/afford any of it ;(
This is just supply and demand 101, these prices reflect the balance between those who sell and those who have money. They are perfectly understandable given the (apparent) rarity of Amiga hardware (apparent because many of this hardware likely lies dormant in basements/attics/landfills). If all of us had bought a Blizzard 060 back in the day they would be worth almost nothing.

Also, you have a PC which is likely thousand times more powerful than a Blizzard 060 and for a fraction of the price. Just emulate one if you need it, no need to possess an actual physical object to get the same benefits, and legally moreover.

Quote:
I'm saying it's bullshit because it's a ridiculous amount of money for hardware this old. I understand the value, but this way it seems like it only gets in the hands of people that have way too much cash laying around just using it to resell for more cash later on.
You are just speculating there.
If you really think there is money to be made simply buying and selling higher then you should just borrow 1000$ from your bank and play that game. But good luck making a cent like this.

Prices only go up if here are buyers, there are people richer than you (and me) and they will have first dibs on nice stuff. If you think that is unfair, you ought to vote for the people who want to change that. It's not going to change otherwise.

Last edited by ReadOnlyCat; 02 January 2016 at 15:56.
Old 03 January 2016, 10:47   #14
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Not trying to hijack the thread, but as comparison: A1200, 1230IV with 64MB, angled cf-adapter, 4GB cf, new floppy, new UK keyboard, case is worn out/modded, but works How much would this be as the accelerator is only 68030?

Btw, the OP's setup is pretty darn sweet
Old 03 January 2016, 16:34   #15
Knoeki
Princess Knoeki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Also, you have a PC which is likely thousand times more powerful than a Blizzard 060 and for a fraction of the price. Just emulate one if you need it, no need to possess an actual physical object to get the same benefits, and legally moreover.
Emulation isn't the same. I never had an Amiga back in the day (mostly because I was too young). Using emulation just isn't the same experience.

Quote:
Quote:
You are just speculating there.
As implied by the "it seems like" (:
Old 03 January 2016, 16:49   #16
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Emulation isn't the same. I never had an Amiga back in the day (mostly because I was too young). Using emulation just isn't the same experience.
(:
You are right, It's better, cheaper and more usable.
Old 03 January 2016, 17:07   #17
Amon_RA

Emulation isn't "better"... It's like playing a car simulation game on a pc instead of driving a real car. Granted, it will be cheaper, but it will just not be the same thing, that's why it's called emulation... You emulate, mimic, the real thing, but you'll never be able to get it exactly the same.
Old 03 January 2016, 17:50   #18
Knoeki
Princess Knoeki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
You are right, It's better, cheaper and more usable.
feel free to send me your real Amiga hardware if you feel that way <3
Old 03 January 2016, 17:54   #19
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_RA View Post
Emulation isn't "better"... It's like playing a car simulation game on a pc instead of driving a real car. Granted, it will be cheaper, but it will just not be the same thing, that's why it's called emulation... You emulate, mimic, the real thing, but you'll never be able to get it exactly the same.
Aside from the physical aspect, UAE is pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing for a few years now.

I still prefer to play on my Amiga because of the physical attachment to the thing but if a PC/Mac with UAE running was connected to a CRT monitor you would really have a hard time figuring out whether it is the real thing or not.
Old 03 January 2016, 18:02   #20
Amon_RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Aside from the physical aspect, UAE is pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing for a few years now.

I still prefer to play on my Amiga because of the physical attachment to the thing but if a PC/Mac with UAE running was connected to a CRT monitor you would really have a hard time figuring out whether it is the real thing or not.
Sure, try playing some games, there'll always be a tiny bit of input lag that you don't have on real hardware. It's the same thing when you play Mario on an snes emulator, or on real hardware. You really notice the difference if you are used to playing it on real hardware.