English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 21 October 2006, 01:45   #1
Hacky
Zone Friend

Floppy disk How to copy an original Brataccas disk (US Version) ?

Hello

I have this first Psygnosis Game and I want to copy the disk.
The game is crap and yes there is a cracked ADf and a WHDload Version too but I want a 1:1 copy of the original disk.

When I tried
MFMWarp READ ram:Copy.MFM
MFMWarp Write ram:Copy.MFM
the copy did not even boot on my A1000.

Using X-Copy Nibble/Index was the "best" result.
The copy comes up to the "Press any key" screen.
But if I press any key the game won´t start.
It freezes only.

I can´t believe it is such a problem to copy this very early shit game.
Should I try Siegfried Copy with Dongle or is there any other possible way to do a real 1:1 copy of this game
Old 21 October 2006, 03:57   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Do you have a 68020? If so, WWarp is the easiest way to get a working image back onto your Amiga. I just tried it by writing the WWarp back to an extended ADF and booting it under WinUAE. And it seems to work (well as much as the stupid original game works in the first place anyway!)

I can upload the WWP file I made, but WWarp requires a 68020. The steps are these (with CAPS image in drive to make a safe WWP file):

WWarp Brataccas.wwp C 0,2-84*2
WWarp Brataccas.wwp Y 2-84*2 44894489552AAAA5552AAAA9&ffffffffffffffffffffffff
WWarp Brataccas.wwp L 2-84*2 $3100
WWarp Brataccas.wwp P 2-84*2
WWarp Brataccas.wwp F 0

That is 24 f's in a row in the 2nd line from the top. If you have a good disk drive, you can bump up the value in the 3rd line a little bit, say $3120. ($3120 is the length it will write back). Now insert a blank disk and write the image back:

WWarp Brataccas.wwp W

And now you have this shit game on a blank disk written with the correct sync and keywords for the data tracks.

Last edited by Codetapper; 21 October 2006 at 04:07.
Old 21 October 2006, 09:11   #3
Hacky
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
Do you have a 68020? If so, WWarp is the easiest way to get a working image back onto your Amiga. I just tried it by writing the WWarp back to an extended ADF and booting it under WinUAE. And it seems to work (well as much as the stupid original game works in the first place anyway!)

I can upload the WWP file I made, but WWarp requires a 68020. The steps are these (with CAPS image in drive to make a safe WWP file):

Hello Codetapper

Thanks I just downloaded WWarp and will try it later.
I have an A1200 HD so a 68020EC is available.
If you upload the image that would be great, if not I try to create a working image by my self.

Best regards
Old 21 October 2006, 09:41   #4
Codetapper

If you have the CAPS image, the instructions above will give you exactly the same image as I made.
Old 21 October 2006, 10:23   #5
Hacky
Zone Friend

Quote:
If you have the CAPS image, the instructions above will give you exactly the same image as I made.

Sorry I have no CAPS or IPF image.
I have only a lot of orginals, ADFs and ready installed WHDLoad stuff.
Old 21 October 2006, 14:00   #6
Codetapper

In the zone. Attempt to write it back with plain old:

WWarp Brataccas.wwp W

If your drive can't handle writing $3120 try decrementing the value by $20 each time then rewriting it like so:

WWarp Brataccas.wwp W

WWarp is in the WHDLoad package if you don't have it already.
Old 21 October 2006, 14:18   #7
Hacky
Zone Friend

Smile

Quote:
In the zone. Attempt to write it back with plain old:

WWarp Brataccas.wwp W

If your drive can't handle writing $3120 try decrementing the value by $20 each time then rewriting it like so:

WWarp Brataccas.wwp W

WWarp is in the WHDLoad package if you don't have it already.

Thank you. I just downloaded the file and will try it tonight.
Best regards Hacky
Old 05 May 2007, 05:09   #8
KSByrne

Making an .adf of Brataccus 4 UAE

My poor old A2000 is just about shot (monitor is burnt out...I have to video out to my TV and view it monochrome, hard drive overheats and fails after a couple hours but works fine again if it let it cool down) but I'm thankful that it works at all being that its about 20 years old. The problem is that I know it won't last forever, so I downloaded and started running WinUAE on my PC and I've been copying all my Amiga stuff into ibm .adf files so I can run it on the PC emulation of amiga. My original and working copies of Brataccus work on the amiga (if I wan't to play it for under two hours in monochrome), but when I copy them to .adf files they fail. I've tried with both transdisk and maurauderII. Are there any special settings I need to use with either of these programs to get a copy of Brataccus that works in emulation? Please help. Out of about 40 disks I've ported over, its the only one not working and I really want to preserve my entire Amiga experience in a PC format. Thanx in advance for any advice.
kb

Old 05 May 2007, 13:34   #9
DamienD
Banned

Hello KSByrne,

Welcome to EAB

Hmmm, I can't really help you with copying your original --> .ADF but...

...if you take a look here you can see a list of sites that contain games for download.

PlanetEmu has Brataccas as an .ADF file: Brataccas (1990)(Psygnosis)[cr Rectum Research]

Haven't tried it out personally but hopefully it should work...
Old 15 June 2007, 05:02   #10
KSByrne

Thanx

Thanks for the nice welcome and quick reply. I found the game file on the site you suggested and d/l'd it. The group who de-protected the file and uploaded it put a political message on it that scared me to death (their facist politics is the kind of thing some governments track and I didn't think I really wanted my screenname associated to their group in some NSA or FBI database -- besides growning up in a predominately jewish neighborhood in a city that is now predominately black I'd basically have no friends or collegues if their view of the world comes to pass).

Then I loaded the file into the emulator and it made a hissing noise and loaded the title page and then the background for the first game room but no charactors. I found I had to slow my emulator down to the original amiga speed and change some graphic and sound settings, but I eventually got the thing working with the actual music instead of the hiss and the blitters for the characters to display and work. Its a little hard to control with the mouse (the character moves faster than he does on the real amiga, but I'll either get it adjusted correctly or used to timing the mouse actions to the new speed. So it took a little work on my part to get it working (you can bet I saved the new settings in the emulator after all that fuss), but it is a working version.

That's rare for a lot of boards to get good working advice on the first post. Gawd after years away from the Amiga boards and groups, I'd forgotten how nice and helpful the various communities I participated in in the past were. You and your site are to be commended.

thank you!
kb