English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 September 2010, 05:07   #1
lost_loven

what to do

hey all!
well my Seagate Cheetah 36gig Model # ST336706LC is on they way.. X2 (1 for a backup) price $10 cdn each ....
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...100141982b.pdf

the adapter.. 80 to 50 pin.. ebay .. under $3 cdn.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

What to do and best way to set up once it arrives ..
The set up is a amiga 3000, 2 meg chip, 4 meg fast. 030/25, 350 meg hd installed already with workbench 3.1 installed and 3.1 roms.

choice's i have -

1 - connect the 36 gig internal .. try to set up that way.. would i need any terminators after the drive or can i terminate it from the drive itself.. (i am not sure but i don't think so on this one)

2 - I do have a external scsi case I can use via the 25 pin external connector on the back. set up drive and copy 350 meg set up that way after setting up drive.

3 - Setup drive on pc. ( using the scsi card in the pc). And pull 350 meg from a3000, put on pc and dump that drive to the 36 gig.

From what i also read I must have the first partition under 4 gig and the rest i can have as a large drive. ( a 32 gig) ... which i am thinking. As for the file system I am thinking of using the smart file system.. Seems to me the easiest cheapest (free) way to go. I don't have any terminators to connect to the scsi cables so I am wondering the best way to do this. I know you can terminate on scsi drives, but on some newer scsi drives you can't and I am pretty sure you can't on this one.. I want to dump the 350meg drive. If need be to get the 36 gig going stable, I do have a scsi cdrom I can leave connected via the external scsi port if that what it needs to make it all tick right..

Anyhow thank you for any input..

lost
Old 09 October 2010, 19:47   #2
lost_loven

used my second option, so got everything set up.. copied over the a3000 scsi.device renamed it etc rebooted and its the correct version number. load up the hdtool box in the large hd folder from my files (using Bloodwych wb install) and it says not supported.. ARGH.
it see's the drive thou.. something else i have to do? jumper maybe?

lost
Old 11 October 2010, 07:17   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Your A3000 have 3.1 ROM?

Or did you patched the scsi.device to accept an HD over 4Gb?