English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 25 May 2024, 02:03   #1
pngcan

GQ3 "Gateway to Nowhere" PAL Released

Hello Friends,

Well, it's done (I think ) GQ3 Gateway To Nowhere (PAL version) is released on my Itch.io page (game link below). The NTSC version should be ready to go in about a month or so. The game is freely downloaded but you have a choice to make a donation to the author (me ) or choose no donation and you will be taken to the download link. Whatever your choice, no worries, I'm just pleased you are playing my game.

https://pngcan.itch.io/geos-quest-gateway-to-nowhere

This is the continuing adventure of George Angus as he traverses the crazy era of 90's computing centered around the Commodore story (in parody).
In these next 2 chapters we focus on Dave Haynie and the immediate years following the demise of Commodore. I received Dave's blessing to use his likeness. Chapter 5 "Haynie's Comet" specifically follows his journey through Pios, Metabox, Merlancia and Fortell (loosely and in parody). I also received permission to use the likeness of another current Amiga celebrity, but you just have to play to find out who it is.

The game has over 120 hand drawn rooms.closeups & animations, dozens of puzzles to solve and dozens of mods & samples to enjoy.

The most prevalent suggestion in GQ2 "In search of Queen Lorraine" was "more love to the pixel art" so that's what I did, stepping it up considerably (but it is still just 32 colors 320 x 200 Low Res)

Once I have the NTSC version done I will upload to Aminet as 1 full LHA with both versions.

The game got bigger than GRAC2 could handle so chapter 6 "There be Cows" will be a stand alone GQ3 part 2 with an anticipated release date of late fall early winter 2024.

Thanks to the AMOS coding community with their help with some of the GRAC2 glitches that plagued GQ2, this one is solid. I tested it on a bare 600 with 2mb chip all the way up to a 1200 with a pi 4.0 and never a crash. ( thanks adrazar ;-) )

As was the case in GQ2 my email is in the game materials, please feel free to email me any comments, suggestions, errors, issues whatever (so long as you are kind please) I am a one man show, all story writing, coding, music writing and recording, graphics drawing, anim creations , proof reading, testing, all done by just me, so it is likely I have missed much.

Some mods, samples and pictures are from the AMOS PD Library, redrawn, recolored, re-recorded to fit/work in the GRAC2 game environment. Authors unknown. Some photos were also reworked to 320x200 res and recolored to fit such as the Commodore building & offices and Job's office.

Have fun.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 19.png
Views:	71
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	82285

Name:	Screen Shot 2.png
Views:	71
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	82287

Name:	Screen Shot 7.png
Views:	60
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	82288

Name:	Screen Shot 18.yes.png
Views:	57
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	82289

Name:	Screen Shot 17.yes.png
Views:	55
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	82290

Name:	Screen Shot 15.yes.png
Views:	53
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	82291

Name:	Screen Shot 12.yes.png
Views:	60
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	82292

Name:	Screen Shot 14.yes.png
Views:	99
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	82293

Last edited by pngcan; 26 May 2024 at 02:47.
Old 26 May 2024, 16:10   #2
Paulthetall

Awesome work!!
Old 26 May 2024, 16:31   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

That looks interesting I won't manage to have a look today, but I'll try the game next weekend for sure
Old 27 May 2024, 04:39   #4
dreadnought

Great news, I was just thinking about the dearth of point'n click adventures in modern times, and presto! - yours comes along
Old 29 May 2024, 20:50   #5
mahen

Looks like a gigantic amount of work ! Definitely on my "what play next" list. Thank you !
Old 29 May 2024, 21:12   #6
Seiya

i forget the other 2 chapters, but this is is very nice
Old 30 May 2024, 13:45   #7
BarryB
Amigaholic

No HOL entry for these? Shame!!
Old 30 May 2024, 17:08   #8
pngcan

Hi Friends, well a week since the release and I am so very grateful for all the downloads, great comments, suggestions, and donations I have been receiving to date. Being a solo project and literally all I have to do that I enjoy anymore now that I am a grumpy old retired fart this has been positive for me. Just some updates: I am completing a Walk through Book that should be done by this weekend and will have it printed in booklet. It is in 5"x8" book format, it'll be a magazine type book. It is comprehensive explaining what happens in each room (if you get stuck) and will also have a quick step by step walk through (if you don't want to figure it out yourself. lol) So far its 40 pages. Because of the cost associated with printing it, unfortunately it will not be free as the games are. But, if you donated to my itch game page(s) I'll email you the PDF of the booklet . Also now that GRAC2 has had some of its issues fixed that plagued GQ2 with random crashes, I am currently revising GQ2 to fix those so it is as stable as GQ3 is. I'll replace the version in my itch game page and upload a GQ2.1 version to Aminet as well. Thanks again friends. Keep those comments, suggestions coming, good and bad as they are a great help to me moving forward, or fixing what I missed.
Old 30 May 2024, 18:23   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
No HOL entry for these? Shame!!
Feel free to submit all relevant info and screenshots.
Old 30 May 2024, 21:57   #10
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Feel free to submit all relevant info and screenshots.
I think pngcan is the best person to satisfy that criteria