English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 20 July 2012, 15:03   #1
MethodGit

Is it possible to copy Graftgold protection with Action Replay?

Back a couple of years ago, in this thread about Amiga Format's Uridium 2 demo, it was mentioned by Galahad that it was possible to copy a Graftgold title - working protection and all - onto a standard AmigaDOS disk. Prowler said he was going to give this a go but never stated if he was successful with it or not.

I recently tried it myself, using AR MKIII's "DCOPY" function, but the disk afterwards (tried Virocop and Fire & Ice) would still fail the standard Graftgold disk check. I did PM Galahad a few days ago asking for clarification, but it seems he's not all that eager to get back to me, so I felt maybe a public thread about it is necessary.

I have yet to try the "rt" and "wt" functions of ARIII, but have a feeling that it probably wouldn't change a thing. Is/was anyone able to get any positive results out of this?

Thank you!
Old 20 July 2012, 15:59   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Back a couple of years ago, in this thread about Amiga Format's Uridium 2 demo, it was mentioned by Galahad that it was possible to copy a Graftgold title - working protection and all - onto a standard AmigaDOS disk. Prowler said he was going to give this a go but never stated if he was successful with it or not.

I recently tried it myself, using AR MKIII's "DCOPY" function, but the disk afterwards (tried Virocop and Fire & Ice) would still fail the standard Graftgold disk check. I did PM Galahad a few days ago asking for clarification, but it seems he's not all that eager to get back to me, so I felt maybe a public thread about it is necessary.

I have yet to try the "rt" and "wt" functions of ARIII, but have a feeling that it probably wouldn't change a thing. Is/was anyone able to get any positive results out of this?

Thank you!
Method, I think you need a reading comprehension evaluation as what you've stated is NOT what I said.

Here is actually what I said in that thread:

Quote:
Interesting fact: Action Replay 3 totally ignores the error and images Graftgold protection perfectly so you can write it back down as standard AmigaDOS tracks.
At NO point did I state it would produce a fully working copy!

What I did state is that it is possible to image Graftgold disks, write them back out as standard AmigaDOS tracks.

You would still need to actually modify the Graftgold loader to ignore the header checksum its expecting, and probably modify the decode routine for plain dos, but at no point did I say it would produce a working copy!
Old 20 July 2012, 17:12   #3
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
At NO point did I state it would produce a fully working copy!

What I did state is that it is possible to image Graftgold disks, write them back out as standard AmigaDOS tracks.

You would still need to actually modify the Graftgold loader to ignore the header checksum its expecting, and probably modify the decode routine for plain dos, but at no point did I say it would produce a working copy!
Okay, understood now. Obviously I saw "perfectly" and took it to mean something else. But I did ask in my PM if you categorically did not mean it could produce a working copy IIRC.
Old 20 July 2012, 18:01   #4
BarryB
Amigaholic

Does it need to be an AR backup?

I've just copied my AF53b disk with X-Copy (nibble mode) to a blank disk and the copy plays fine!