English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 June 2024, 16:36   #1
specfreak

PCI device order

Many thanks for the incredible work that has been done on WinUAE over the years!.

I've recently tried to mirror my Real Amiga setup on WinUAE and have got configs for PPC OS4.1FE Classic and 68060/PPC OS3.9 working from my CF card back to HDF file.

Is it possible to change or specify the order of the PCI cards (Mediator SX) or it be a feature of future releases?
I've been having trouble getting the Ethernet RTL8029 (NE2000 compatible) PCI card to work with Genesis and it does on my real hardware. However as I understand it, you need the Voodoo 3 3000 16MB to be in PCI Slot 1 to use it's memory to drive the Ethernet PCI card, so I wondered if that would cause it not to work under emulation. Although curiously OS 4.1FE Classic works fine with that setup.

I know you can use other network setups, but I wondered if it were possible or just futile to try?

I already have a custom board order and UAE Boot ROM Indirect to get it booting.

Even if I edit the config file it doesn't honour the order I set it.

PCIInfo on my real hardware lists (actual PCI slot used in brackets):
Device 1: Voodoo 3 (Slot 1), as per Mediator instructions.
Device 2: Network Card (Slot 3)
Device 3: Sound Card (Slot 5)

WinUAE reports:

Device 1: Network Card
Device 2: Sound Card
Device 3: Voodoo 3

I appreciate this will be way down your list, but thought it could be worth mentioning in case it's something simple or I should be using a built in Network setting.

Genesis even claims it's online and the N network icon flashes red if I try to go to Aminet.net, but I can't ping. Perhaps it's my network config in WinUAE?
I have it set as MAC (xxxxxxxx) with nothing set in the field to the right.
Does it need to match my PCs MAC address or do I use NAT.

Sorry for the massive post, just wondering.
Old 10 June 2024, 10:39   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Moved from beta thread.

PCI device reordering is not yet possible. It does not matter much with PCI. (Compared to Z2/3 autoconfig). Technically there should not be any requirements to have boards in any specific order unless driver is lazy.

RTL8029 should be PIO only and does not require DMA "bounce" buffers. Later models (100MBps+) require PCI DMA.

Default network mode is SLIRP which uses NAT. Ping is not supported (but also is not needed for normal network use). You can install NPCap to get virtual NIC that does not use NAT.