English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 July 2019, 21:51   #1
Leandro Jardim

Hard GPU VSync on WinUAE

Do you think would be possible to implement the Hard GPU VSync feature of RetroArch on WinUAE? I am suspecting you will say no, because it should be pratically the same thing as the old Low Latency VSync, am I wrong Toni?

Don't worry, I am not asking for you to implement Low Latency VSync again. I never would do that.

If the response to the first question is yes, could that be added separated of Lagless VSync, for users with a lower spec computer to use it?

Thanks.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 26 July 2019 at 23:00. Reason: Do you think...
Old 29 July 2019, 12:08   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't know what it means and I am not going to try to find out..

EDIT: I am going to try another method for low latency vsync timing, perhaps it helps with those that have issues with current method.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 29 July 2019 at 12:22.
Old 30 July 2019, 23:26   #3
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I don't know what it means and I am not going to try to find out..

Ok, better keep it very, very far...

Quote:
EDIT: I am going to try another method for low latency vsync timing, perhaps it helps with those that have issues with current method.
Thanks, I will keep watching the progress, for sure.

I did discover that my issues were being caused mainly by a broken display driver, which I did update recently to the newest 2019 version (and now it works), and by the 64 bit CPU of my laptop, which is slow compared to the official WinUAE requirements, that would be a 2 GHz CPU versus the 1.70 GHz CPU of my laptop.
Old 31 July 2019, 18:01   #4
AmigaHope

Does UAE have the ability to adjust the emulated Amiga's system clock to the real life refresh rate of the display? Like not dynamically rubber banding, just detect real life refresh rate and then run the emulation synchronously even if the emulated Amiga is running 0.01% faster or slower than a real one.
Old 31 July 2019, 21:04   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
Does UAE have the ability to adjust the emulated Amiga's system clock to the real life refresh rate of the display? Like not dynamically rubber banding, just detect real life refresh rate and then run the emulation synchronously even if the emulated Amiga is running 0.01% faster or slower than a real one.
Yes. Low latency (beamrace) vsync will auto-adjust to any refresh rate and manul option (when not using vsync) is Display panel FPS.Adj. Which can make playing games "interesting"..
Old 01 August 2019, 09:10   #6
AmigaHope

Quote:
Yes. Low latency (beamrace) vsync will auto-adjust to any refresh rate and manul option (when not using vsync) is Display panel FPS.Adj. Which can make playing games "interesting"..
Is there a patch to the kernel to make the system clock time conversion run accurately even when it's slightly off? AmigaOS does this natively on real Amigas when it's properly made aware that it's a PAL or NTSC system, adjusting for the slight difference of system clock.

(This bit me in the ass in the past when I decided to swap the PAL/NTSC jumper on my A4000 to make it automatically prefer PAL screenmodes. It caused AmigaOS to assume it was running on a PAL crystal even though an NTSC one was installed, so the system clock drifted. If I left the jumper to NTSC and used early startup menu to boot in PAL instead, AmigaOS still kept time correctly as it calculated based off the NTSC crystal.)