English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 10 February 2020, 18:29   #1
sparhawk

Sample Pack ST-XX to fast?

I downloaded the ST-XX sample pack because I wanted to use them in a mod. But when I try to listen to them, either in Open MPT or Windows, they seem to be way to fast.

Is there some good browser tool where I can play them slower or is there same other way to "preview" them. As it is they all seem to sound the same.
Old 10 February 2020, 23:00   #2
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I would suggest to browse them with Protracker Windows - where they sound at the right speed - then load it in an empty mod file, save the empty mod and reload it from the other trackers - where you can then edit and save it as correct instruments; i have the same problem with Milkytracker and the method above did work for me.
Old 11 February 2020, 00:24   #3
no9

If they are in .wav format then you can quickly preview them in Foobar2000.
Old 11 February 2020, 04:02   #4
Hewitson

I wonder why this happens? If someone can explain it to me, I could look at submitting patches for OpenMPT/Milkytracker.

It amazes me that these trackers were not tested with the ST-xx sample disks. Surely that's one of the first things you'd make sure worked.
Old 11 February 2020, 09:46   #5
roondar

I once had a similar problem when loading in an Amiga sample because the PC side program decided it was in stereo rather than mono. Which was rather silly when you think about it, because the IFF/8SVX sample format actually included a flag for mono or stereo.
Old 11 February 2020, 09:47   #6
sparhawk

The strange thing is, that OpenMPT has a browsing feature. When I use this, and play the sample straight from there, then it sounds to fast, just like any other Windows player. When I put the same file as an instrument into a mod file, and play the same sample from there, then it sounds as I would expect it. Of course, browsing this way is rather annoying, because when I look for some sound I would like to use, it takes a lot of extra steps just to get an idea how it sounds.

I'll take a look at ProTracker and Foobar and see if this is any different.

I found some player which at least offers the browsing feature (Resonic), but it also plays to fast.
Old 11 February 2020, 10:27   #7
meynaf
son of 68k

The best way to preview Amiga samples is to play them on the Amiga itself, with Amiga programs. On the PC you never know what is wrong.
Old 11 February 2020, 10:44   #8
Dunny

You need the original samples, not these conversions.

The original samples for the ST-XX disks were sampled at C4, Windows and OpenMPT play back at C5 when previewing. The guy who converted them should probably have changed their frequency accordingly, but they're just a straight dump to 44.1khz/16bit.
Old 11 February 2020, 11:13   #9
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
You need the original samples, not these conversions.

So when I get the originals, I can preview them? Where can I get those?

Quote:
The original samples for the ST-XX disks were sampled at C4, Windows and OpenMPT play back at C5 when previewing. The guy who converted them should probably have changed their frequency accordingly, but they're just a straight dump to 44.1khz/16bit.

But if they are at C4 and played at C5, wouldn't this still be wrong then, even if I used the originals? On the other hand, I still should get an idea what the sample is about, as I could also play a C5 in the mod, right?
Old 11 February 2020, 12:30   #10
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
So when I get the originals, I can preview them? Where can I get those?
iirc the originals are in 8SVX format (IFF) so won't readily play in Windows. You can still get them from Aminet though - there's a list in the comments here:

https://archive.org/details/AmigaSou...mplePacksst-xx

Quote:
But if they are at C4 and played at C5, wouldn't this still be wrong then, even if I used the originals? On the other hand, I still should get an idea what the sample is about, as I could also play a C5 in the mod, right?
Not quite - if you use the originals then they will play correctly. The originals were sampled at either 8363 Hz or 16726 Hz and the guy who converted them to WAV has upsampled them to 44.1Khz which has pitch shifted them.

FWIW there was a project to re-sample the ST disks (at least the first two official Obarski issues) by sampling the same hardware but at higher quality but I can't find much about the project these days.

That said, if OpenMPT can load old Soundtracker song files then it should also support Amiga samples, so you can at least give it a try.
Old 11 February 2020, 21:25   #11
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post

Just downloaded this, but this is the archive that I already used.
Old 12 February 2020, 00:16   #12
Dunny

Yes, but that archive is the WAV versions which are pitch shifted in the conversion. You need the 8SVX versions that are linked in the comments for that page, as I mentioned previously.