English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 August 2001, 21:04   #1
MethodGit

Lightbulb Class idea for WinUAE

Why don't the WinUAE team add support for direct loading of ISO/BIN images (like the 32X/Sega CD emulator Ages does) and WRP/MFM images? If they think hard about it there surely must be a way of making this happen. It'll take a bit of extra code to make the idea become reality, but I bet all of us will be happier for it. :smoking

I reckon the WinFellow team should do the WRP/MFM loading idea as well.
Old 05 August 2001, 21:35   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

No Amiga emulator out there does true disk emulation, which is far too complex to outline here. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for these advanced features. Their main focus right now is getting A500 emulation working and fixing bugs.
Old 08 August 2001, 21:03   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

UAE 0.8.13 and later do full disk emulation. But I haven't heard about WRP/MFM images. Where can I download example images? I'll add support if it seems useful feature.

Currently UAE supports normal ADF, extended ADF (nearly 100% raw bitstream, only reading supported) and extended ADF2 (100% raw bitstream and supports reading and writing, this is for games with custom save game formats)
Old 09 August 2001, 00:05   #4
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

iso's

Iso's can be mounted right now using the daemon tools util, which is used a lot for psx emulation nowadays but works ok with winuae too.

http://www.daemon-tools.com/daemon_tools.htm

There's quite a few other similar utils around too.
Old 09 August 2001, 00:14   #5
XoreX

Yes, I use Daemon Tools for loading isos and they work perfect also with uae. I mounted few CDTV isos, now I gona try also with CD32. They are realy simple to use + they save a lot of burned (wrecked) cd also...
Old 09 August 2001, 01:38   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

@Toni

Wrp/MFM files are (And I no expert on this by the way) full images of "Real" Amiga disk's copy protection an all so may .wrp files are far larger than the standard 880k adf size.

I know very little about this (Codetapper please help), but aparently ....... Well something along the lines of writing more data to each track, than normal. That's about all I can recall, but it's far more complicated than that I'm sure.
Old 09 August 2001, 07:51   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Wrp/MFM files are (And I no expert on this by the way) full images of "Real" Amiga disk's copy protection an all so may .wrp files are far larger than the standard 880k adf size.
Yep, I guessed that they are raw floppy images (usually in MFM format which makes them about 2x larger than normal ADFs) but I was asking for example images and format specifications.
Old 09 August 2001, 11:02   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Smile

Hi Toni,

I've just uploaded the Halley Project WARP for you, on the ADF zone.
Between the 'user cp' and 'register' buttons there's the ADF zone button. The file is right at the top.
Old 09 August 2001, 11:17   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Thanks. I thought WRP was raw format, but it is disk packer like DMS (packs only normal Amiga tracks). It seems adding support for WRP images is waste of time because DMS is much more common and WRP isn't documented and there does not seem to be decompression sources available.
Old 09 August 2001, 11:41   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Smile and as we are here...

Toni,

I did another one. This time it's the ORIGINAL of Major Motion. This one is in MFM format.
Looks like it's more close to that extended ADF format.

(NB: no credits, please this one is from someone else but I forgot who it was...)
Old 09 August 2001, 12:35   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Toni...I was just coming here to let you know that wrp is not a disk format, but I see you figured that out.

There's actually a few different warp utils. Again, this link to Codetapper's site will provide you with the neccessary tools.

http://members.tripod.com/whdload/utilities.html

Just an aside I have been meaning to mention: in addition to MFMWarp and NomadWarp, that have become mainstays in transferring Amiga originals lately, they are not the same as the old school Warp util, which was how cracked warez were spread before DMS existed. After the original Warp came the hacker-improved NibWarp, which was a predecessor to (I think) NomadWarp. It's a long, interesting story which I may go into one day when I am not in a state of sleep-depravation...
Old 09 August 2001, 12:57   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Thanks, this looks promising.. but unfortunately all raw warp-formats seem to use XPK to compress data. I don't think it is good idea to add all XPK decompressors to UAE just for direct warp image support...

Best solution is probably to write native Amiga program that converts warp-images to extended ADF2 images. But I think I'll add direct FDI (DSK2FDI's format) support to UAE first..
Old 09 August 2001, 13:29   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

could you please take a look on that Major Motion image in MFM format I uploaded for you? I think it's not compressed. (it doesn't look as if it was compressed in any way, at least )
Old 09 August 2001, 16:24   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Major Motion's track data is compressed with "HFMN" XPK compressor.

I am currently hacking MFMWarp's writing code and it seems creating warp->extended ADF2 converter is quite easy.. But I don't know if it really works until converter is ready.
Old 09 August 2001, 17:54   #15
Amiga1992

It's great to have an UAE dev in the board. If you can add Warp support it would be brill, though I'd preffer being able to write Warp files back onto disks Does anybody know if I could get a Cyclone on eBay?
Old 09 August 2001, 18:39   #16
MethodGit

Um, sorry if I have no knowledge of every Amiga device out there, but what exactly is a "Cyclone"?
Old 09 August 2001, 18:41   #17
Amigaboy

If I recall, it was a disk copying thingy...but my memory is shot

Old 09 August 2001, 18:52   #18
Amigaboy

http://www.programmersheaven.com/file.asp?FileID=3424

"How to make a cyclone copier"

No idea if it will work (I havent even looked at the archive), but could be interesting

Old 09 August 2001, 19:47   #19
Amiga1992

Yipee! DIY electronics... I'm crap at that but I love it Thanks for the link.

Now, how about a device that lets me unpack WRP files onto a disk? Would that be possible? Hmmm..
Old 13 August 2001, 13:58   #20
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Warp support in WinUAE + Major Motion is virus infected!

Hi guys

A couple of things for anyone that downloaded Major Motion - it has the Lamer Exterminator 4 virus on the bootblock. This one isn't the threat it used to be as it has self modifying code which crashes all cpu's > 68000. And on emulators I'm not sure what harm it would do... But for anyone that downloaded the warp and has loaded it up on a real Amiga, you can clean it just by installing the bootblock. And check your other disks!

Akira: You can write back some warped games such as Major Motion: MFMWarp WRITE MajorMotion.MFM DEEP

The DEEP argument isn't necessary ALL the time, but is best for some long track format games (Rob Northen PDos - eg. Superfrog etc).

Now that's out of the way, a few other things:

1. MFMWarp uses XPK compression as Toni figured out. Most XPK packers are coded in ASM for speed so porting to WinUAE isn't going to be easy. (I heard that some of these were being ported a while back so maybe they have been).

2. Warp images are imho pointless for being included in an emulator because of the fact that you get no proper error checking. In theory, everyone on the net could start dumping MFMWarp files and TOSEC would fill up - every warp can and most likely is different when run on the same disk at the same time by the same person!

3. Assuming you had a decent rip and that the game has no speed check of a track copy protection, you would then need all the extra work to preload the image, decrunch it, then add code to shift the bitstream to the correct sync etc. A *lot* of effort for not much reward.

4. Half the warp files are full of Dos tracks anyway (eg. Major Motion is fully warped up yet only 2 tracks require it - the main game is dos, no copy protection that I could see (I have written a whdload slave for it already to verify!) and the MFM is only for loading/saving the high scores to track 1 (in standard Microdeal format). In other words, you can DIC this disk without the virus and it should load anyway.

5. Converting a non copy protected game from MFM to ADF Extended format is trivial if you know what you are doing. Maybe like the WHDLoad project, people will write an imager using something like RawDIC (in WHDLoad package) to spit out the ADF2 format rather than a disk image compatible with WHDLoad.