English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 04 March 2006, 18:18   #1
Gnorman

Assigning tooltypes to files?

I am in the process of installing WHDLoad games to my HD using WinUAE prior to installing the HD in my bog standard 1200. I have installed ClassicWB Lite and have downloaded KillerGorilla's game packs.

I know it is possible to associate certain filetypes to programs automatically but am unsure how to do it, at the moment I am changing each file individually which is proving rather time consuming. I am using the following process and am basically looking for a way to tell Workbench that .slave files should have a certain icon and run whdload as the default tooltype.

1. Unpack the game using lzx e -a game.lzx gamename/
2. Use Iconimage to assign an icon to the slave file (The 'game' icon in the Icons folder)
3. Use TTManager to make the file a Project rather than a tool and add SLAVE=gamename.slave to the tooltypes list.
4. Open icon info and set WHDLoad as the default tool.

Surely there's a quicker way?
Old 06 March 2006, 15:34   #2
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnorman
I am in the process of installing WHDLoad games to my HD using WinUAE prior to installing the HD in my bog standard 1200. I have installed ClassicWB Lite and have downloaded KillerGorilla's game packs.

I know it is possible to associate certain filetypes to programs automatically but am unsure how to do it, at the moment I am changing each file individually which is proving rather time consuming. I am using the following process and am basically looking for a way to tell Workbench that .slave files should have a certain icon and run whdload as the default tooltype.

1. Unpack the game using lzx e -a game.lzx gamename/
2. Use Iconimage to assign an icon to the slave file (The 'game' icon in the Icons folder)
3. Use TTManager to make the file a Project rather than a tool and add SLAVE=gamename.slave to the tooltypes list.
4. Open icon info and set WHDLoad as the default tool.

Surely there's a quicker way?
Why in the world you care about slaves etc?

All you have to have is proper icon to start the game, and that icon should have WHDLoad in default tool box, and that there are some other settings in tool types (such as slave="image.slave", preload, custom1=0 etc.)

Also, how much memory you have in your A1200? You should make sure that preload option is not selected for games that will excide your memory amount. (I believe ~500K should be used by the system)

Reason I install my WHDLoads is that KG's WHDInstall packs are incossistant with icons. Some of them have new icons, some glow icons.

Last edited by Anubis; 06 March 2006 at 16:09.
Old 06 March 2006, 20:42   #3
Bloodwych

Like Anubis said, I don't understand why you are creating icons from scratch for whdload games - you can simply use or update the ones that come with the packs which already have tooltypes set!

Even though the classicwb lite has a very small mem footprint, be aware that some games may require you to use the "multiboot" feature outlined in the instructions in order to launch a game from shell for max mem.

Again if it fails to work, you'll need some fastram.

Plus for un-archiving, remember you have dopus and/or packmaster to unpack.