English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 May 2024, 00:25   #1
ZEUSDAZ

5th Gear A500, good lord what a terrible game, why even bother?

Not going to beat around the bush, this is one of the most cruddiest games I've EVER had the misfortune of playing on such a wonder machine.

The play area is pathetic to the point you cannot go faster than an overweight snail carrying a suitcase as you will crash into everything because you cannot see what is coming.

The game is also bugged as It's impossible to complete stage 3 and thanks to someone replying to my query about the ending I can officialy tell you that it just loops back to stage 1, no ending, nothing, even the c64 version has a completion screen, this really is the pits and if anyone can justify this game then I advise you to change the medication you are on!

5th Gear, Shit Game Time Review: [ Show youtube player ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5th gear.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	82246  
Old 19 May 2024, 00:29   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

What... the hell. You drive vertically and there is just no vertical screen space at all.

This is the true definition of shit. It has really good ideas and then is built wrong anyway. This should have been amazing.
Old 19 May 2024, 00:30   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

Never knew this game (I wonder why ) but there are good aspects:

- car looks very much like the one used in Spy Hunter
- Car animation looks smooth
- there are some shade effects (probably having to use EHB or a fully shaded 32 color palette just for that

BUT

- size of the screen is ridiculous
- collision detection seems stupid & unforgiving, making the game frustrating & super hard.
Old 19 May 2024, 01:58   #4
DisasterIncarna

lazy port? the c64 version has similar screenspace, i played the c64 version, didnt even know the Amiga had a version of its own, doesnt look like i missed much.

[ Show youtube player ]

maybe they just copied what was done on the 8bits even if the 16bits could do better and show more?
Old 19 May 2024, 11:55   #5
Megalomaniac

A thoroughly mediocre £3 C64 game becomes a £20 Amiga game with an even smaller view area and even worse controls - decent shadow effects for the time though, the programmer mentions on Lemon that he did use EHB, well before most programmers were using it. Sadly Hewson had form for this - their 16-bit output was mostly conversions of 8-bit games, usually developed around the ST even into the 90s, often playing worse than the originals, and released at full price regardless of whether the original was a budget game or not. Paradroid 90, Future Basketball and Zarathrusta were pretty much their only 16-bit originals. No wonder they went bust relatively early in the 16-bit era.
Old 20 May 2024, 03:54   #6
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
5th Gear A500, good lord what a terrible game, why even bother?
Click bite, YT video views... etc? Thankfully there is a ton of terrible games on Amiga, so show can go on...