English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 September 2006, 15:24   #1
Glitch

Millennium 2.2 Remake

We just finished a PC remake of the Amiga's classic Millennium 2.2 for the 2006 Retro Remakes competition. You can take a look and grab the download from our blog at: http://glitch01.wordpress.com ... Let us know what you think!

-Glitch

Old 08 September 2006, 16:45   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Heys glitch, welcome to the EAB

we hope to support all your retro needs
Old 08 September 2006, 17:09   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I like it, I can see theres a lot of work in there, specifically the 3d models and textures alone would spent a fair bit of time dealing with..

I like the feel... its like the old one but... theres that little somthing extra.. I have been a fan of retro-remakes for quite some time, and theres no doubt that your up for competition, that said you have an awsome entry so best of luck Glitch.
Old 09 September 2006, 03:56   #4
Glitch

Thanks for the kind words. We're just happy to bring this great game to the PC with some updated graphics.

We were a little crunched for time though as we only had 3 months to work on it... but we tried to keep the gameplay very similar to the original and only added a few new features such as: mining orders for the Grazers so you don't have to continually micro-manage them; an "advance event" button that will advance time until someone of significance happens; fighter drones that no longer require you to manually fight the battles (sit back and watch!); and a few new technology items.

-Glitch

Old 09 September 2006, 04:34   #5
blade002
Zone Friend

I havent tried it out yet, but thats excellent!!.. It was a great Amiga game, so im looking forward to seeing this one
Old 09 September 2006, 12:27   #6
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I'll try it out, and if it's even half as good as the original it'll be great.

While on the topic though, I think the 3 month limit for the remakes is a crap rule. It really limits the quality of the games due to that restriction. Especially considering that some people can only devote a small proportion of their time to coding due to other commitments.

And forcing the developers to put in an extra splash screen just to flog the Retro Remakes site is just as bad, it does nothing for the users of the game to force them to endure an extra wait.
Old 09 September 2006, 16:06   #7
metalrules

I agree. But they did a fantastic job of the game as i downloaded it today and am now playing it.
Old 09 September 2006, 21:07   #8
Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous
I think the 3 month limit for the remakes is a
Yeah, only having 3 months to do a game really restricts what you can do.. I think the short period is fine for some of the shooter type games but makes it a real challenge for something that's a little more in depth. Luckily there were two of us working on this project (Rick Blackwell and myself) and that allowed us to get more done during that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous
And forcing the developers to put in an extra splash screen...it does nothing for the users of the game to force them to endure an extra wait.
You can click past the splash screen which we were required to include. Otherwise it's a 4 second pause.

-Glitch

Old 09 September 2006, 21:26   #9
keropi

looks nice, gotta try it!
Old 10 September 2006, 12:13   #10
mailman
Zone Friend

@Glitch

Do you have any plans to create remakes of other games?
Old 11 September 2006, 01:29   #11
Glitch

We were made aware of a few bugs and now have an updated EXE available for download. You can get it at the same site: http://glitch01.wordpress.com

As for plans to make other remakes...none at this time.

-Glitch

Old 11 September 2006, 08:43   #12
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Not able to play it at work but it looks like a re-imagining rather than a clone.. correct? If so great idea.. if not then the MRTE game did the same on PC 15+ years ago...

As a rabid fan (yes!) I am very pleased to see this.... Deuteros would have been cooler tho as Ian Bird lost his C code for his official PC version in a HD crash. I tried to persuade him to rewrite without success.
Old 11 September 2006, 14:15   #13
Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
looks like a re-imagining rather than a clone.. correct?
Correct. We updated *most* of the graphics but there are still a few originals in there. We feel it is a nice blend. But we also added some new features too, such as mining duties for the grazers so you don't have to micromanage them so much, some new technology items, an advance-event button that will advance time until something of importance happens, fighter drones so you no longer have to manually fight the battles (sit back and watch!), etc. All things to help enhance the gaming experience without subtracting from the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
Deuteros would have been cooler tho
That seems to be the general consensus. Unfortunately we were not aware of Deuteros until after releasing this remake!

-Glitch

Old 11 September 2006, 19:20   #14
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch

That seems to be the general consensus. Unfortunately we were not aware of Deuteros until after releasing this remake!

-Glitch
Aaahhh but Glitch, now that you know of the mighty Deuteros, can you rest easy in your bed aware that your quest is not yet complete?
Old 12 September 2006, 08:58   #15
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Worth mentioning how I used to run a Deuteros site and forum where members planned (but didnt do anything it seems) a remake... there are LOTS of fans of Deuteros out there who'd be very happy... tons of potential beta testers....
Old 13 September 2006, 00:29   #16
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Been playing this evening. Very impressed. Couple of weird "features" or perhaps bugs but very good... Wish this came out years ago...

I'd be inclined to say look at Deuteros and make a Deuteros+ (or perhaps Tritium???)
Old 13 September 2006, 02:15   #17
Glitch

Methanoid,

What are the "feature" bugs that you've found?

Deuteros isn't something that Rick is interested in working on and I personally don't plan to start any serious projects at this time... but if that changes I may pick your brain about it since I've never played the game.

Old 13 September 2006, 02:26   #18
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
@Glitch

small world eh remakes 2006 compo to E.A.B i suppose it had to happen! I downloaded your game and had a very quick look since i never played the original or the deuteros sequel if thats what it was, my friend played both and i got the remake for him! it looks rather excellent in hires graphics if that helps on the game side i can't understand what the hell's going on but nice work to you both and Welcome to E.A.B

And for the other fans round here please consider Deuteros for you next project / compo entry 2007

Someone has to attempt Megalomania sooner or later

My Fave so far from the compo is Ghostbusters but there are others too all in all a good year for Remakes YEH!!!
Old 14 September 2006, 13:38   #19
Captain_ Kal

I think I am about to finish it. I am trying to build a terraformer. I had a great time with it. Excellent remake ,. Keep up the good work.
Old 16 September 2006, 02:46   #20
Glitch

Glad that you're enjoying the game. You'll have to let us know when you've won :-)