English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 March 2011, 09:14   #1
OverDose
Lover of teh classic

A4000 boots to flashing yellow screen

This A4000 I am putting together in a tower case. It has A3640 CPU card, 16MB Fast, Elbox 4000D PCI/Zorro busboard, ATX power with converter, and Cybervision64/3D. Internal IDE has 2GB Seagate Hard drive (master), and a CD-ROM drive (slave).

I've installed 3.1 on the Hard drive, and was in the process of trying to get CD-ROM access. I though to install the CD-ROM drivers from a Fast-ATA (won't work without the card, which is dead), and then from a Buddha (same problem, need CD-ROM attached to the card).

At this point, I ran into an issue where the computer was not booting. I removed the faulty Fast-ATA card and the working Buddha card. But still no boot.

Turn on and a get either a flashing white or yellow screen. The power LED is also flashing. The floppy light don't flash, no clicks. Caps key will light up, but locks off after multiple presses. Can't get to early boot screen. The hard drive etc will spin up and power on.

I am thinking it could be a failed CPU card (maybe heat?), but not sure.

Any ideas?
Old 27 March 2011, 10:10   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Try removing the motherboard Fast Ram, if normal activity is resumed then this is the problem. Maybe bad Ram or danmaged sockets.

Any history of Battery leakage?

I had this problem and the battery leakage had damaged tracks around the Simm Sockets.

You could also try a different Chip Ram Simm if you have one as Yellow Screen normally suggests Chip Ram Error.

I've also read of Buster causing this screen, so if that is socketed make sure its seated properly.

Hope that helps.

Steve.
Old 27 March 2011, 10:47   #3
OverDose
Lover of teh classic

Removed RAM, and it gets to the KS screen, which I can work with.

I do have another question, though. Will 8Mb or 16Mb SIMMs work, even if only 4Mb recognised?

Cheers
Old 27 March 2011, 10:53   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDose View Post
Removed RAM, and it gets to the KS screen, which I can work with.

I do have another question, though. Will 8Mb or 16Mb SIMMs work, even if only 4Mb recognised?

Cheers
I think some boards will take 2x 8mb Simms, but maybe this is only certain revisions - need someone with more knowlegde to cut in here.

But you need to find out what is causing the Fast Ram issue, you could try some other Ram if you have it.

Did you have any Battery leakage? This is very important because if there is Battery damage it will only get worse if it was not correctly repaired.

Steve.
Old 27 March 2011, 13:00   #5
OverDose
Lover of teh classic

I have it working with 1x 16Mb SIMM, recognising 4Mb.

One of the slots has a slightly damaged clip.

There was some small damage from a leaked battery, but has been cleaned up. This was done before I got the board, but I trust the previous owner.

At the moment, it has decided to stop recognising the hard drive, so working on that.

Thanks for your help.
Old 27 March 2011, 19:17   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

This sounds exactly like the problem I had with mine, my HDD also stopped working. I think maybe the battery leak has caused further damage that needs to be repaired. Even if it was cleaned it may not have been fully removed thus causing further damage over time.

I'll PM Zetr0 who repaired my board and see if he can offer any advice as he has to change some Caps and latching chips.

All the best.

Steve.
Old 30 March 2011, 09:11   #7
OverDose
Lover of teh classic

I got it booting, and got OS 3.1 and 3.9 installed, and the DVD drive working. I'll probably do some more work on it this weekend, and see if it is the RAM or the mainboard.

I might swap the old mainboard back in. I'm having some other small issues with the OS recognising that the Lisa. Not sure if this in normal, but will start another thread.