English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 09 May 2023, 10:29   #1
phx
Natteravn

LOCAL directive (GFA assembler?)

Having a look at the just released Ambermoon sources I noticed the
LOCAL
directive. Can anybody confirm what it does and which assembler supports it?
My guess is that it has the same meaning as defining a global label, but without actually defining a global label, i.e. it separates two blocks of local labels from each other, right? Maybe I would add that to vasm then…
Old 10 May 2023, 19:49   #2
paraj

The GFA assembler manual from 1990 does specify a ".LOCAL" directive (https://archive.org/details/GFA_Asse...e/n83/mode/2up) that works like you suggest.

Seems like the code also uses "get" and "push" freely (without defining them as macros). Maybe that's a clue to the assembler used?
Old 10 May 2023, 22:00   #3
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
The GFA assembler manual from 1990 does specify a ".LOCAL" directive (https://archive.org/details/GFA_Asse...e/n83/mode/2up) that works like you suggest.
Thanks for finding the manual! Seems I didn't look hard enough for it. The directives are all prefixed by a dot, but as I understand this can be configured with an assembler option. And it is the Atari manual.

Quote:
Seems like the code also uses "get" and "push" freely (without defining them as macros). Maybe that's a clue to the assembler used?
In the german a1k forum the GFA assembler was mentioned, and the Ambermoon source is definitely incomplete. I would still guess that
push
pop
get
and
free
are macros, which are defined in the missing part. From their use in the source I cannot determine the function.
Old 11 May 2023, 20:00   #4
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Thanks for finding the manual! Seems I didn't look hard enough for it. The directives are all prefixed by a dot, but as I understand this can be configured with an assembler option. And it is the Atari manual.
It was what I could find (Manual does mention outputting for Amiga though in appendix D.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
In the german a1k forum the GFA assembler was mentioned, and the Ambermoon source is definitely incomplete. I would still guess that
push
pop
get
and
free
are macros, which are defined in the missing part. From their use in the source I cannot determine the function.
Definitely some stuff missing, but just noticed that the source code for "amberstar" is available: https://github.com/jhorneman/amberstar/tree/main

Seems to provide some missing blanks (e.g. definitely written for GFA assembler, provides info on the use of "Push" macro that at first glance makes sense (src/main/xfers.asm)).