English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 24 September 2011, 14:47   #1
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

Question for AmigaDos coders

I have a question concerning AmigaDOS scripting. Is it possible to hide some codes in my scripts from the end-user to stop them from viewing and/or modifying the routine? I want to so the computer can see and execute the hidden code. and more importantly How would I be able to Unhide and modify the code as the programmer?
Old 24 September 2011, 15:19   #2
rare_j
Zone Friend

I've never heard of anything like that, and neither have the people in this thread (amiga.org). Although they have some interesting suggestions.
Old 24 September 2011, 18:06   #3
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

The only way I can see of doing that is by placing the scripts in a folder. You then change the folders icon (.info) file so that it thinks it is a tool. Double clicking on the folder won't let you view the contents (it'll give an error), but the computer will still access the files inside.
Of course, those that know the trick can just change the icon (.info) file back to what it should be and gain access.

Another alternative is to run a small program that decrypts the script before execution. Obviously you'd have to encrypt the script beforehand, and this won't work with the "startup-sequence" file for obvious reasons.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 25 September 2011, 01:08   #4
TTD

Send a message via MSN to TTD
Think I have done some simular in my time when I did try make an easy adventure game on a floppy on a500.
I mean I did use a program that could protect w for write or the command on 1.2/1.3 kickstart and would give an error.
I try found out what was need the r for read and e for execute to allow run it, the w+d write and delete protect these and people without that could not re-enter or change it without do the same thing protect command was not on the drive, when running.

Unless the set the bits back on, but this is very long time, the game did never finish try make a c64 game I made in basic to amiga it was simple adventure push option then do something next then show grafix was only intro picture and a very easy end picture because I use setkey, a picture viewer for showing picture, and the text was also picture gfx, and a module player, all did work fine.

The main idea of this, was run a picture so people dont see what did happend in background because of the playing the game, but if they did.
I had made a black colors for all text, so if they pull down picture on ancident they would not see what happend if they did it, was only if they use a filemanager application to watch how it was made, but all was very easy if you know it.

My friend I was made this with him to draw pictures didn't found out this and think it was nice that time, I guess around 1992 maybe a bit before.
Old 25 September 2011, 01:42   #5
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

@Lonewolf10
I like the Idea of changing the Icon info, and the Idea to encrypt the scriptfile and decypting it the only drawback I can see with encyption method, is that I will have to get my unencypted script to enter the code. And that means anyone can read the un encrypted script to get the code. I will mull over this.

@TTD
I used the same method you did. and found it too easy to break. it would also be too easy for someone to re-set the RWED parameters

@Rare J
Interesting Foroum. Although I am not trying to encypt the startup sequence. That would be daft. As I have already noticed RWED can be set and reset Maybe I need to find out how to build my own protect Command that can also protect against Modification of the scripts. Pretty much like Windoze does.
Old 25 September 2011, 06:56   #6
weiju

I apologize in advance if this question sounds stupid, but it's just out of curiosity: what is the benefit in hiding code in a script or making it unmodifiable (unless it contains passwords and in that case a script file would probably not be the best place anyways) ? Isn't one of the main advantages of a script that it is easy to modify ?
Old 25 September 2011, 13:16   #7
daxb

weiju is right. If you want to hide something don`t use script. Experts can unhide almost everything. I wouldn`t waste time for make code "hide".
Old 25 September 2011, 15:26   #8
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

@ wieju
I am trying to protect some of my codes that Access DH0 and other fuctions of my own OS build to prevent data loss. I want to make some code unmodifyable to protect against any unauthorised changes to my code.
Old 25 September 2011, 18:55   #9
thomas

A script is a text file. You cannot protect it from modification. You can sign it with PGP so that everybody can check if it has been changed or is still original. But you cannot prevent changes.

Even if you don't use a script but hard-code your passwords into a binary executable, people would be able to crack it. Just look up the many threads in this forum about WHDLoad installs of formerly protected games. There is no true protection.
Old 25 September 2011, 19:01   #10
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

@ thomas
What is PGP? I also know That there is no such thing as an unbreakable code. Iguess I will have to resign to writing my scripts unprotected All I wanted to do is Hide passwords in myscripts Ah well thanks for ur advice and help guys.
Old 25 September 2011, 19:37   #11
thomas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

http://amigarealm.whdownload.com/arc...loadsPGP5.html
Old 26 September 2011, 07:31   #12
weiju

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafDaz View Post
@ wieju
I am trying to protect some of my codes that Access DH0 and other fuctions of my own OS build to prevent data loss. I want to make some code unmodifyable to protect against any unauthorised changes to my code.
Hm, if all you want is ensure that the code is the one you released, why not simply distribute a digital fingerprint (like a hash code/message digest) with it, so you/someone else can quickly check whether it is the code the hash/digest was generated with ? This is a pretty common method and while it's not 100% safe, it's quite reliable and relatively simple to use.