English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 26 April 2002, 12:00   #1
gary

Joystick controls mouse pointer

Does anyone have (or can give me info about) a utility that allows a joystick to emulate the mouse that runs on a KS1.3 68000 Amiga?

I've tried the utils from Aminet and the only one I've found that works is 'joymouse' but that can be disabled too easily and can interfere with (slow down) other programs - I don't think it is system friendly.

Are there any others?
Old 26 April 2002, 14:59   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

The only thing I could suggest would be to look through some of those utils compacts. Sometimes they'd have tools like that on there.
Old 26 April 2002, 22:56   #3
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Gary
Besides JConMouse on Aminet, the only other programs of this type found using a Google search were JConMouse (German) and AnalogMouse (use an Analogue joystick for mouse control), which are also on Aminet.

Surprisingly, I couldn't even find a program on Aminet that would allow mouse control via the keyboard, although that's clumsily built-in to later versions of Workbench/AmigaOS. Can't remember if it's a feature of Workbench 1.3, though.

Why do you need such a program anyway? Do you have a broken mouse/mouse port? If you have a borken mouse port then there are a few programs on Aminet that will allow you to use a mouse in the joystick port.
Old 26 April 2002, 23:04   #4
oldpx

It's also a feature of WB1.3. I recently had my A500s repaired, both had broken pins in the mouse ports. It is quite cheap and easy to replace them with new ones.

Old 27 April 2002, 11:34   #5
gary

@Shadowen

I have an Amiga2000HD inside an old videogame cabinet. It boots up and shows a menu of games selectable with the joystick while playing random mods using Hippoplayer. Every 20 seconds (unless a menu option is hit) I have it play an anim5 animation at random from hard disk using RTAP. Most animations are converted from AVI's/MPEGS showing movie clips in HAM mode - it looks impressive for a 1987 machine even though the're 4/5 of the screen and 10fps. (Incidently, while watching it a PC owner asked me how many MHz it was running at to be able to play MP3s and show MPEG movies simultaneously)

Anyway the 'joymouse' program interrupts the animation playback every 3 seconds making it jitter slightly. I can live with it but it's a shame a little joystick reader program causes that problem. I thought that is worth a try to try this forum but I knew it would be pretty rare that a joystick->mouse program was needed except for CD32 owners maybe?

At least the Amiga has keyboard->mouse controls as standard. One of my frustrations at work is not being able to use (or even START) a GUI because a mouse wasn't detected. What would happen if you urgently needed to use it and your mouse broke?
Suddenly your whole GUI becomes useless!

@Twistin'Ghost
I might try checking the LSD legal tools listings for an alternative to joymouse. I couldn't get JConMouse to do anything.
Old 27 April 2002, 19:43   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

When I get a little bit more back into my normal groove, I'll have a look through some of my compacts, too. This would be a good project, however, for some of our Amiga programmers around here if they have some time to bang out such a tool. Any takers?
Old 27 April 2002, 19:55   #7
RetroMan

The mouse can ALLWAYS be controlled my keyboard, this isn´t a WB feature use left Amiga Key+Cursor Keys, left alt + left amiga is left mouse button and so on
Old 27 April 2002, 20:11   #8
oldpx

Sure, it's better to call it an AmigaDos feature. I think the "driver" to do this resides in bios. I remember breaking my mouse while playing reunion. I just connected the joystick to the mouse port and tried to play it that way for two days. You eventually get used to it. Pressing up+left continuously moves the mouse horizontal, down+right vertical or just the opposite I really don't want to do that again!

Old 28 April 2002, 03:20   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
The mouse can ALLWAYS be controlled my keyboard, this isn´t a WB feature use left Amiga Key+Cursor Keys, left alt + left amiga is left mouse button and so on
I actually do this so much when on a real Amiga, I have come to prefer it to using the mouse. I had to get used to it once when I had a badly behaved mouse and came to prefer this method.