English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 February 2007, 21:18   #1
Gordon
Settler

periods when you were in to amigas

obviously we were all in to amigas at some stage otherwise we wouldnt be here, but I ask when were the times you were interesed inm amigas. dont you stop during the PS1 days then return etc? always been interested??. when i say interested I mean play like once a week etc

Thats what id like to know
Old 24 February 2007, 21:48   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Good thread, gotta think about it....

I do know that if it werent for the likes of EAB, my interest today wouldnt be half as strong. An interest shared is always more fun.
Old 24 February 2007, 21:59   #3
edge_david

@DDNI

I agree this board pulls it all together, until I came on here I didn't realise the true potential of the amiga, now I'm not afraid to try new things knowing that another member will almost always have the solution should I struggle.

Old 24 February 2007, 22:14   #4
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI
An interest shared is always more fun.

Especially 18 year old twins
Old 24 February 2007, 23:15   #5
twizzle

i have never been away from my amiga`s from 1988 to the present day my amiga is switched on almost every day

and although i get problems? but not as much as my pc does
Old 25 February 2007, 00:50   #6
blade002
Zone Friend

Got my 1st Amiga when i was 17 in 1990. When it got to the year the PS1 came out, all my friends either ditched the Amiga for the PC or PS1 or they just plain stopped with the whole thing altogether.

With me though however, i just had absolutely no interest at all in the PS1 or PC, and i just couldnt see how anyone could just up and leave a machine like the Amiga?. In the end i stuck with my Amiga till the year 2000 non stop in the hope also that a company would pick up the pieces and move the Amiga forward.

I knew that day would never come so i bought a PC. Still use my Amiga now though

So my timeline was 1990 - 2000. 10 years of constant use from the A500 till 1993, and the A1200 for the remaining 7 years till 2000.
Old 25 February 2007, 01:15   #7
cv643d

I am doing things with the Amiga very intense for a couple of month then I loose interest and move on. Then I come back to Amiga and fix/buy stuff again. It is like a food cycle, you get hungry then you eat -repeat.

But I was away for 3 years after the millenium when Amiga fooled us that the new machines would come, collas, QNX etc... Guess who felt like a jackass explaining for his friends Amiga was making a comeback in 1999.
Old 25 February 2007, 03:23   #8
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonbennett
but I ask when were the times you were interesed inm amigas. dont you stop during the PS1 days then return etc?
Good thread idéa!
I can pretty much pinpoint my amiga interest since it coincides with my (then unhealthy) gaming obsession.

Start, early 91

Lemmings , my first "faking going to sleep playing all night" game

Peak, late 92, 93
Pinball drams (Fairlight crack) AND Civilization in short time
Recorded the the game music and had it with my brand new "walkman"

Decline, 95
Realized that girls were more interesting then amiga games. Got to play Doom2 death match on LAN and Wingcommander 4, gaming on a new level.

Death, late 95
Realized that getting drunk was the most cool thing you could do, not playing amiga and that teh internets had guitar tabs.

Revival 2002ish
It wasn't untill I got a hold of AIAB with winUAE I returned to Amiga and bought myself a CD32..I've also realized that I could get drunk with my GF and get my ass kicked in dynablaster. Thereby combining the best of all worlds.

Last edited by spiff; 25 February 2007 at 03:31.
Old 25 February 2007, 10:15   #9
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I've been using Amiga since 1990 - never lost interest in them. I have other systems too, but AT LEAST 1 Amiga has always been in operation
Old 25 February 2007, 11:03   #10
mailman
Zone Friend

I am still in Amigas. I still use it, although not so often like I would like to (no time). I am still playing games on my real A1200. Recently I have configured WinUAE so I could enjoy more Amiga feeling doing some work on PC.
Old 25 February 2007, 12:01   #11
kriz

I never quitted the Amiga, now i got several machines though.. But never quitted the Amiga scene .. Used only Amiga untill 2003 or something like that...

Never sold off anything!
Old 25 February 2007, 14:24   #12
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
Got my 1st Amiga when i was 17 in 1990. When it got to the year the PS1 came out, all my friends either ditched the Amiga for the PC or PS1 or they just plain stopped with the whole thing altogether.

With me though however, i just had absolutely no interest at all in the PS1 or PC, and i just couldnt see how anyone could just up and leave a machine like the Amiga?. In the end i stuck with my Amiga till the year 2000 non stop in the hope also that a company would pick up the pieces and move the Amiga forward.

I knew that day would never come so i bought a PC. Still use my Amiga now though

So my timeline was 1990 - 2000. 10 years of constant use from the A500 till 1993, and the A1200 for the remaining 7 years till 2000.
Man that is eerily familiar.

Got my a500 xmas 1990, used it almost daily until 1993 when i sold it and got a 1200. Used that daily until 2000 when i gave it away and purchased a pc, but I regretted it almost immediately and got another.. now i have plenty

So 1990-2000 constant, since 2000 constant everyday (winuae) or booting the real thing!
Old 25 February 2007, 14:40   #13
Graham Humphrey

Pretty much constantly since I was five years old, I've got other machines but I've always used an Amiga of some sort. I've grown up with them basically.
Old 26 February 2007, 07:00   #14
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

I got my first Amiga only last year!

Before that I'd only ever used one to play games and friend's houses back in the 80s and early 90's.

We had a brand new C-128 when I was a kid and most friends had C-64s, so that was more or less it...then we went straight to PC where I lost interest in games.

It was only my resurgent interest in the C-64 that prompted me to investigate slightly newer CBM models, and for that I am glad, as I really enjoy my Amigas now

PZ.
Old 26 February 2007, 09:34   #15
Tyball

As I've always been interested in (maybe even obsessed with) computers/-games, I admit that other platforms lured me away from the Amiga. I always return though.

At first it was the Super Nintendo which made me forget my Amiga. After that it was the PC with its colourful point-and-click adventures and RPGs like Might and Magic. Later on I was obsessed with my Nintendo64 just to return to the PC for some more (online-)RPGs.

Ironically though, it was the culmination of all my wishes that made me long for simpler games and my faithful Amiga once again: Oblivion. As a Morrowind addict I hungered for more, but Oblivion just felt empty and I haven't touched a PC game for almost a year now.

I guess that the temptations of the Wii and a retry of Oblivion or maybe Gothic 3 will make me set aside my Amiga once again, but not just yet...

BTW: Funny that you mention the PSone. Never liked that one, nor the PS2 for that matter. And I'm not really a Nintendo fanboy either.