English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 January 2017, 23:04   #1
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Why was CD32 only PAL?

Why was the Amiga CD32 only released in Europe, and despite allot of users wanting Amiga ports in US and UK, they couldn't use them on NTSC TV's at a reasonable playable rate ?

Or this this just a myth ?

A side effect is since the Amiga CD32 didn't last that long anyway (not even a few years), it probably doesn't really matter much.

Are there any 'History on the Amiga' videos out there worth watching ? I'm got some from AMiga forever CD, but wondering is there are any more apart from the reviews you see on Youtube today.
Old 26 January 2017, 23:18   #2
Amiga1992

?
It was not only released in Europe, it was released, in low numbers, in Canada, too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_CD32#Release
Also by the time it came out it was pretty much established that all decent software was coming from Europe and made for PAL screens, but even PAL models were PAL/NTSC switchable for compatibility. Or should I say, 50/60Hz switchable: color information remained teh same, so using a PAL unit in an NTSC composite, SVideo or other non RGB display will yield wrong colors. I don't understand where you got anything related to "not a reasonable playable rate", whatever that even means.
Old 27 January 2017, 00:06   #3
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_Forever View Post
Why was the Amiga CD32 only released in Europe, and despite allot of users wanting Amiga ports in US and UK, they couldn't use them on NTSC TV's at a reasonable playable rate ?
The CD32 wasn't released in the USA exactly because there weren't a lot of users wanting it.
Old 27 January 2017, 03:15   #4
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Why did you mention the UK? Firstly the UK used PAL as its standard video format. And second, Commodore UK did a pretty good job marketing the CD32 within their territory, I seem to recall more than one Amiga magazine of the day reporting that current CD32 sales in the UK (both the console and the games) were exceeding that of the competing consoles such as the SNES and Megadrive. Although this success was pretty short lived as Commodore International went belly up shortly after.
Old 27 January 2017, 09:19   #5
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
The CD32 wasn't released in the USA exactly because there weren't a lot of users wanting it.
That wasn't the reason though was it! Commodore US didn't pay their bills, so the Philippine government seized the CD32 they had so no US launch ever took place, though that aside the Amiga market in North America had shrunk to all time low as the PC took over there, in Europe it was a different story, imo it would have been a waste of money to launch the CD32 in the states, though Commodore were good at wasting money had they had the chance!
Old 27 January 2017, 10:16   #6
idrougge

The Philippine government weren't involved until long after the launch of the CD32 in Europe.

But in Europe, Commodore had retail channels. They could actually reach potential console buyers. In America, the Amiga wasn't a household name and Commodore had long disappeared from the shelves of mainstream shops.
Old 27 January 2017, 10:30   #7
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
The Philippine government weren't involved until long after the launch of the CD32 in Europe.

But in Europe, Commodore had retail channels. They could actually reach potential console buyers. In America, the Amiga wasn't a household name and Commodore had long disappeared from the shelves of mainstream shops.
Yes, the CD32 launched in Europe in Sep 93, the North America launch was planned for Q1 94
Old 27 January 2017, 11:00   #8
fryguy

it wasn't, it's still possible to find NOS CD32s, which unfortunately is NTSC models AFAIK.
Atleast it was until recently.
Old 27 January 2017, 11:09   #9
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
it wasn't, it's still possible to find NOS CD32s, which unfortunately is NTSC models AFAIK.
Atleast it was until recently.
It wasn't what? Commodore have stated they originally planned for a Feb/Mar 94 US release this never happened because they didn't pay the factory making the machines, yes a few made it to Canada, but a US launch never happened.
Old 27 January 2017, 11:14   #10
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
it's still possible to find NOS CD32s.
I have to call bullshit on this claim. If this is true then I challenge you to prove it! Provide us with links. They were avaiIable once, YEARS ago (not exactly recent) but I certainly can't find any of these for sale today. I say if an NTSC CD32 does show up on eBay today it's going to be a second hand one, not NOS.
Old 27 January 2017, 11:16   #11
fryguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
I have to call bullshit on this claim. If this is true then I challenge you to prove it! Provide us with links. They were avaiIable once, but I certainly can't find any of these for sale today. If an NTSC CD32 does show up on eBay it's going to be a second hand one, not NOS.
There was some company selling them on Tradera.se and on their own website before. I think it was retrospelsbutiken.se but they doesn't seem to have any left. The boxes were opened though because they were missing the PSUs (probably removed because they were 110v).

@Amigajay: yep i suppose these were consoles made for Canada.

The Commodoretext on them was written in white.
Old 27 January 2017, 11:18   #12
Anakirob
Unregistered User

So therefore it NOT possible to find NOS CD32's.
Old 27 January 2017, 11:24   #13
fryguy

Quote:

I thought it was more recently.
It was spelbutiken.se who sold them, it was in february 2015, url is not working now.

They're sold out of course http://retrospelbutiken.se/store/pro...?produkt=16389

Last edited by fryguy; 27 January 2017 at 13:42.
Old 28 January 2017, 00:20   #14
eXeler0

Fellas, I have one of those..

http://www.exretro.com/galleries/com...D32_NIB_01.jpg

http://www.exretro.com/galleries/com...D32_NIB_03.jpg

And they were indeed sold without PSU because it would have been illegal to sell Electronic devices with American PSUs in Sweden / Europe.
Old 28 January 2017, 00:55   #15
Matt_H

There were NTSC CD32s. I have 2 of them. Commodore was barred from importing them to the U.S. as a result of a court case. They made it to Canada and American dealers got them from there, possibly with. C.E.I., Commodore's main U.S. distributor, as a middleman (one of mine definitely went through them). Commodore had probably intended for them to be on retail shelves, which I don't think ever happened, but the usual mail order places (Softhut, etc.) had them.

As Commodore's financial situation worsened, the units remaining in the Philippines were seized.
Old 28 January 2017, 07:05   #16
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Why did you mention the UK? Firstly the UK used PAL as its standard video format. And second, Commodore UK did a pretty good job marketing the CD32 within their territory, I seem to recall more than one Amiga magazine of the day reporting that current CD32 sales in the UK (both the console and the games) were exceeding that of the competing consoles such as the SNES and Megadrive. Although this success was pretty short lived as Commodore International went belly up shortly after.
Because I thought many people would want games but that would be unable to play them. I'm guessing mail order was the only way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
That wasn't the reason though was it! Commodore US didn't pay their bills, so the Philippine government seized the CD32 they had so no US launch ever took place, though that aside the Amiga market in North America had shrunk to all time low as the PC took over there, in Europe it was a different story, imo it would have been a waste of money to launch the CD32 in the states, though Commodore were good at wasting money had they had the chance!
By, "not paying their bills" was that due to the lawsuit ? The reason they couldn't make it to the U.S because they didn't have enough as a fact of bankruptcy? As I would of thought otherwise u would WANT a larger market, and not be limited.

"However, a deadline was reached for Commodore to pay 10 million USD in patent royalty to Cad Track (U.S. Patent 4,197,590) for their use of their XOR patent. A federal judge ordered an injunction against Commodore preventing them from importing anything into the United States."

Last edited by amiga_Forever; 28 January 2017 at 07:11.
Old 28 January 2017, 07:22   #17
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Because I thought many people would want games but that would be unable to play them. I'm guessing mail order was the only way.
But CD32 consoles and software were certainly available in stores in the UK, even here in AU I distinctly recall seeing CD32 displays in more than one major electronics retailer. And the Australian market was nowhere near the UK market.
Old 28 January 2017, 10:27   #18
eXeler0

Another pic of my NIB American CD32:
Check the warranty card:
http://www.exretro.com/galleries/com...D32_NIB_WC.jpg

It says "No postage needed if mailed in the US"... Would that make sense if it was for the European (or even Canadian) market? ;-)
Old 30 March 2017, 09:56   #19
fryguy

Quote:
Now they're selling them again. (Note for PAL users though, i believe those are NTSC consoles).

http://www.tradera.com/item/301704/2...-ny-amiga-cd32
Old 30 March 2017, 12:50   #20
neil324

There was a US court injunction against CBM bringing stuff into the US until their fine of $10 million was paid. The flashing cursor CBM used on the C64 was already patented, they got fined for using it and couldn't/wouldn't pay.