English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 November 2015, 17:08   #1
TenLeftFingers

Amiga emulator on PS4?

Does such a thing exist? I can only find one for the PS3 and from the comment on the thread I'm not even sure if it works.

My nephew has just got a PS4 but really likes the games on the Amiga so it would be great to sort him out with some Lotus 2 and Lemmings
Old 12 November 2015, 17:22   #2
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

To run homebrew apps (like emulators) on a console you usually need to "jailbreak" them. That means installing an exploit of some kind which opens up the console.

The PS3 is one of the hardest consoles out there to "jailbreak" (I put the term in quotes because the correct term is "hack", jailbreak is usually used for iPhones), while the PS4 hasn't got an exploit available at all.

tl;dr: Nope, no Amiga emu available for PS4 and the one for PS3 is really hard to install, if your model allows (most don't)
Old 12 November 2015, 17:23   #3
amiman99

Not for PS4, I thing for any emulators to work you need to have the system hacked first.

There is one for PS3 I got to work under Yellow Dog Linux, works OK but not the best.
[ Show youtube player ]

There is also one for PS2 if you want go that route: http://www.zophar.net/consoles/ps2/a...e-for-ps2.html
Old 12 November 2015, 17:48   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

If you want it for games, i recommend the Raspberry Pi

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76873
Old 12 November 2015, 18:52   #5
TenLeftFingers

Thanks guys, the goose chase is over then. The Raspberry Pi mightn't suit him but if I come across a cheap PC I might try it. Some comments on that thread indicate that even model 2 isnt up to the task.

Sent from Ubuntu Touch using the Forum Browser app
Old 12 November 2015, 20:11   #6
Nosferax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Thanks guys, the goose chase is over then. The Raspberry Pi mightn't suit him but if I come across a cheap PC I might try it. Some comments on that thread indicate that even model 2 isnt up to the task.

I use a Zotac mini-pc for my emulators in the living room (double up as a Kodi media center):

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-102-_-Product
Old 12 November 2015, 21:52   #7
spudje

I have an Amiga "emulator" on my PS4

Old 12 November 2015, 22:40   #8
ransom1122

That looks like a cd32 emulator for ps4

Any ps3 with custom firmware 3.55 (which is old) can be updated to an updated custom firmware easily via usb update. Once done you can easily install e-uae emulator which runs ECS/OCS/AGA/CD32/CDTV & WHDLOAD in your ps3.

Look for 2nd hand ps3s with its firmware on 3.55 (no higher) and your set.

I've made over 2000 self installable amiga game package files for ps3 over the last couple of years and they all work fine. Though I still think WINUAE has the edge of amiga emulation on pc.
Old 12 November 2015, 22:43   #9
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post
I use a Zotac mini-pc for my emulators in the living room (double up as a Kodi media center):

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-102-_-Product
Quite pricy compared to a rpie2 which does the same thing. Either way both a good choice.
Old 12 November 2015, 22:53   #10
TenLeftFingers

It does make me wonder how many other kids would be saying "I want an Amiga!" if they were put on shop shelves.

Old 12 November 2015, 23:00   #11
ransom1122

Quote:
It does make me wonder how many other kids would be saying "I want an Amiga!" if they were put on shop shelves.

Kids are too nieve these days. They'd probably buy something with the letter I in front of it. Or just play league of legends or minecraft. That's what kids flock too these days only because that's where its trending. Kids don't have patience like we had back in the 80s. The excitement of waiting for the game to start and when it did boy did we have fun.
Old 12 November 2015, 23:58   #12
TenLeftFingers

Haha, that's true. He does complain a bit about how hard some of the games are I should have showed him the C64 - then he'd know what difficult games were all about!

Having said that, said 'i' fans would likely never have seen a floppy disk before. Mine are multi-coloured and I've printed custom labels with the box art on them so they look pretty slick.

But, he loves Lotus II and Robocod for sure. Oh, and Batman
Old 13 November 2015, 00:03   #13
ransom1122

Quote:
Haha, that's true. He does complain a bit about how hard some of the games are I should have showed him the C64 - then he'd know what difficult games were all about!

Having said that, said 'i' fans would likely never have seen a floppy disk before. Mine are multi-coloured and I've printed custom labels with the box art on them so they look pretty slick.

But, he loves Lotus II and Robocod for sure. Oh, and Batman
I've seen your pictures of them. Yes they look cool.
Old 13 November 2015, 13:42   #14
pete_uk

E-UAE is old and the PS3 port was never that polished TBH. It used to struggle with some AGA games, and that shouldn't really happen on a machine as powerful as the PS3 is. OCS/ECS performance was ok tho.

The libretro team did make a port of P-UAE, but I never tried it on PS3, and Gnostic seems to have gone MIA and also deleted the PUAE github. So dont expect an update to that

I should really speak to twinaphex or R-type to see if they would be willing to look at FS....

Also, When / If a jailbreak or custom firmware appears for PS4, I can imagine a lot of emulators being ported to it, esp as it's x86 based
Old 13 November 2015, 14:06   #15
Nosferax

The PS3 struggling was due to the hypervisor.
On the PS3 there is no way to access the hardware directly even if running Linux, which mean you were limited in the graphic performance.
Old 13 November 2015, 14:53   #16
Baboon
Moon Monkey

As an alternative to the above I'd recommend the little android console 'Ouya'' as you can side load any of the Amiga emulators (uae4all2, e-uae, uae4arm jit etc). You can pick one up second hand for about £35 and it has bluetooth built in, usb, hdmi and is good to go right out of the box.

Loads of other android optimized emulators run great on this console from Zx Specky right up to Mame4droid Reloaded (all the big games work for CPS2, CPS3 and all Williams troublesome arcade games like Narc, Mortal Kombat etc), Reicast (Dreamcast emulator), PPSSPP (runs perfect for many psp games) plus it's a great media centre too. All controllers and joysticks I've chucked at it work fine (everything usb, blutooth etc).

I spent years messing about with hacking my Dreamcast, original Xbox, PSP, xbox 360, wii (and wiiU) etc to play homebrew and emulators (Amiga and mame mainly) but none of them were perfect but the Ouya is just designed for this sort of thing from the off (admittedly it failed big time as a regular gaming console - but it's fantastic for emulation).

Just my two cents
Old 13 November 2015, 16:56   #17
rhester72

Speaking of RPi (2?), is it actually capable of full-on 60FPS AGA without slowdown/stuttering? It always seemed a little underpowered for the task.

Rodney
Old 13 November 2015, 18:45   #18
pete_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post
The PS3 struggling was due to the hypervisor.
On the PS3 there is no way to access the hardware directly even if running Linux, which mean you were limited in the graphic performance.
This was only a problem when you were running Linux / using "OtherOS". Sony crippled it on purpose. But that came back and bit them .

"GameOS" is a different beast entirely, you have access to everything. But you need 3.41/.55 or a custom firmware to be able to access it. We even managed to get "Peek & Poke" working and enabled the ps3 to be able to use dynamic recompilers (or JIT) but no-one made any software/emulators that made use of it.

Have a look at the PS3 version of retroarch on youtube etc, It shows off what the PS3 can do.
It's a very capable multi-emu that actually started life on PS3 and is still being developed today

(Although I'm no programmer, I was quite involved in the PS3 scene )
Old 13 November 2015, 19:15   #19
kipper2k

k,

time for a rant, a little off topic but it really pees me off. Call of Duty Black Ops 3 $90... $90 for a frigging game, and they wonder why people want to hack these overpriced consoles. I wonder if it is due to extortion from the publishing houses that gouge us blind... ok, rant over

looks like i have my answer,,, $550million in first 2 days !!!!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...y-black-ops-3/

Last edited by kipper2k; 13 November 2015 at 19:24.
Old 13 November 2015, 20:39   #20
Higgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
As an alternative to the above I'd recommend the little android console 'Ouya'' as you can side load any of the Amiga emulators (uae4all2, e-uae, uae4arm jit etc). You can pick one up second hand for about £35 and it has bluetooth built in, usb, hdmi and is good to go right out of the box.
+1 A underated bit of kit.
Yes forget the normal Ouya game route, use it as an emulation station. Also good as a media centre.