English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 18 August 2012, 08:21   #1
emuola
Registered Whdload user

PFS3 continuosly giving "Block outside reserved area" -errors

I installed the (then) latest ClassicWB with pfs3 about a year ago. My boot partition is about 1 GB and the games partitiont about 6.2 GB. Everything was working smoothly, with a few quirks with some whdload games. I then read that I should have extracted the KG packs on a real Miggy/Winuae and not in Windows. So, I decided I'll delete all my whdload games and copy them all over (from pcmcia sd reader) again after extracting the KG packs in Winuae.

I started copying and after a while started gewtting "Block id errors" which then lead to "Volume is write protected" etc etc. I then started pfs doctor. It gave me tons of "Block outside reserved area" -errors. I then read somewhere about choosing the "Undo formatting" in pfs doctor. It also found tons of errors and fixed them. I then completely formatted the volume (not quick format) and ran the pfs doctor again -> several "Block outside reserved area" errors. This loop goes on an on... Ii always finds errors and after fixing them again there are errors. I attached a example screenshot. The number of errors and data blocks is always a bit diferent.

Interestingly the Boot-partition is ok according to pfs doctor.

*edit*

I checked the Mask and MaxTransfer values and indeed the mask seemed to be wrong for both partitions. I changed that, but it seems that this did not affect anything as I still get the usual few errors with PfsDoctor.

Is my 8GB Transcend cf busted or what? I'd reaally hate to open my Miggy (once) again...

Here's what happens when I do the Undo Formatting:

Last edited by emuola; 18 August 2012 at 11:32.
Old 18 August 2012, 12:18   #2
thomas

I vaguely remember the mentioning of a PFS bug with partitions bigger than 6 GB. Is it an option for you to make two smaller games partitions?
Old 18 August 2012, 12:29   #3
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Ok, that'd explain it. Can I re-partition my bigger partition into 2 partitions without losing the boot partition?
Old 18 August 2012, 14:20   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Mask has no effect on non-DMA (Amiga IDE) controllers.

I don't see any fixes for size limits in PFS3 SVN nor in versionhistory.doc. I am also sure there are lots of PFS3 users with >6G partitions.

PFS3 or PFS3DS?

Does my pfs3 for kickstart 1.3 (from aminet) have same problem? (It is fully 2.0+ compatible, it is currently also the only 68k PFS3 build that includes all fixes fom PFS3 SVN)
Old 18 August 2012, 14:57   #5
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Mask has no effect on non-DMA (Amiga IDE) controllers.

I don't see any fixes for size limits in PFS3 SVN nor in versionhistory.doc. I am also sure there are lots of PFS3 users with >6G partitions.

PFS3 or PFS3DS?

Does my pfs3 for kickstart 1.3 (from aminet) have same problem? (It is fully 2.0+ compatible, it is currently also the only 68k PFS3 build that includes all fixes fom PFS3 SVN)
Ok, at least the mask is now "correct" I have PFS3DS filesystem on both partitions as it was suggested as better than PFS3 when I installed the system a year ago.

I use hdtoolbox to update the filesystem of the second partition to the "special version of pfs3" of yours?
Old 18 August 2012, 15:26   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Ok, at least the mask is now "correct" I have PFS3DS filesystem on both partitions as it was suggested as better than PFS3 when I installed the system a year ago.

I use hdtoolbox to update the filesystem of the second partition to the "special version of pfs3" of yours?
Multiple filesystems can't use same dostype. I don't think there is any officially supported way but it may work if you install the new PFS3 using new randomly generated dostype like PDX3..
Old 18 August 2012, 15:31   #7
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Ok, thanks for the tip Toni I could also make the second partition a bit smaller (just for the sake of it) in hdtoolbox. Is this possible without losing the boot partition?
Old 18 August 2012, 16:01   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

If you don't touch the boot partition you can modify the others. You'll only lose the data on them.
So you are using PFS3 with CWB and a large Hd. Did you change the scsi.device?

Read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
OS up to 3.1:
PFS3DS + unpatched scsi.device = you can use a cf card up to 8GB
PFS3 + unpatched scsi.device = you can use a cf card up to 4GB

You can use larger cards with a patched scsi.device and the non-ds version of PFS3.
Edit: Ah, ok, you are using PFS3DS.
Old 18 August 2012, 19:19   #9
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Made the second partition appr 5.5 GB -> same problems. Haven't tried Toni's special PFS3 yet. Should I just try SFS instead? How can I know if my cf card is busted or not?
Old 18 August 2012, 20:33   #10
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Decided to try to change the filesystem of the second partition to SFS... Bad idea! Although the Hdtoolbox told me everything in partition dh1 will be destroyed, it actually wiped the whole drive... Now I'm greeted with a fancy "insert floppy" -animation. I guess I'll get me a new cf card, because I'll have to open up the Miggy anyway (install the stuff via Winuae). Or is there some other way?
Old 18 August 2012, 20:38   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

That shouldn't happen.

Perhaps partition table was already corrupted or you used some other program to partition the drive originally.
Old 18 August 2012, 20:41   #12
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
That shouldn't happen.

Perhaps partition table was already corrupted or you used some other program to partition the drive originally.
It's been a while since I first installed anything on my 1200... Is there any difference between doing the partitioning/install on real hw vs. in Winuae? The latter being much easier/straight forward (if you ask me).
Old 18 August 2012, 23:07   #13
thomas

HDToolbox itself does not care about MaxTransfer. If RDB + partition table + file system code is bigger than 128 KB, it currupts during write.
Old 19 August 2012, 00:19   #14
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Just a separate note: I was having your problem of bad blockid errors after a time using a Cf Hd. The thing is that it was happening with different Cf's.
Finally I've done the Timing Fixes to the mobo, as in this case I believe that's the cause.
Unfortunately I can't try it yet, as I sent the mobo to Vesalia with my Indi, they are on holidays and I haven't received them yet. Hope the parcel hasn't been "lost" by the mail.
Old 19 August 2012, 08:06   #15
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Just a separate note: I was having your problem of bad blockid errors after a time using a Cf Hd. The thing is that it was happening with different Cf's.
Finally I've done the Timing Fixes to the mobo, as in this case I believe that's the cause.
Unfortunately I can't try it yet, as I sent the mobo to Vesalia with my Indi, they are on holidays and I haven't received them yet. Hope the parcel hasn't been "lost" by the mail.
Ok, I hope this will be solved with another cf card. I have a 1D4 version of the mobo and I understood that it's pretty good? One thing that I don't understand is that only the second partition got screwed. The boot partition was completey fine. This would indicate it's not about timings, right?
Old 19 August 2012, 19:47   #16
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Installed another 4GB cf card and everything works great I'd blame the 8GB Transcend card for the propblems, although the present card is only 4GB.