English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 March 2008, 17:10   #1
Sober1977

[Amiga] Retro Football game tournament this May (Kick Off 2)

I posted a few months ago with regards to any interest in KO2 and managed to get a few responses so I thought I would make people aware of a tournament this coming May! Infact, this is not just another tournament...this is a UK Championship! Where players from all over the UK descend somewhere (this year its Birmingham) and play on out of date, energy guzzling computers and relive a much simpler time (their youth!)

BIRMINGHAM - May 3rd to May 4th 2008

Basically, we'l be hiring a fairly large room which will be packed out with Amiga's and then playing quite a few games of Kick Off 2. Trophies will be had and if you'r up for it, there will be plenty of drinks, meal after the games, real football and then onto a club - but if you want to retire early then thats fine as well.

Normally for these events there's typically 15 people or so, however they seem to get far more players attend these in other countries so Im sure good old blighty can do a lot better! We want to get at least 20!

So what you say? Whether you'v played the game before or not...there are plenty of newbies who turn up so you wont be on your own and whether you prefer Sensible Soccer..it doesent matter - its all the same...1 button and 1 controller. None of this 20 buttons stuff to memorise. A simpler game, from more civilised times

If you want to enter the realm of KO2 then please do so at the following forum:

http://ko-gathering.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

Alternatively, if you want to email me for more details or to register your interest then please do so at the following addy:

kickoff2@blueyonder.co.uk
Old 25 March 2008, 14:50   #2
Sober1977

Just a further update to the thread above....

Its now official that a tournament will be taking place in Birmingham on the 3rd and 4th of May.

Register your interest here
http://ko-gathering.com/forum/viewto...p?f=12&t=14644

Whatever your skill level of the game (even if you havent played it before), you'r more than welcome. If you'r worried that you dont have any practice then I can supply you a copy of KO2 free of charge - but you shouldnt have anything to worry about. You may lose heavily, but you may win a few games as well. As the UK stands, there are players of all skill levels.

Be great if people were up for it!
Old 26 March 2008, 13:01   #3
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Who are you, Mr. Sober? Are you a KOA member?
Old 26 March 2008, 20:35   #4
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
0_o Alkis... you not know ? 1977
Old 27 March 2008, 17:37   #5
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
I was confused because we rarely see any SOBER members in the KOA...
Old 29 March 2008, 13:37   #6
Sober1977

:d
Old 19 April 2008, 21:28   #7
Sober1977

The Kick Off 2 part of the UK Champs is now a 1 day event! Some people will still be meeting up on day 1 to take part in real football + meal. But if that dont float your bag then you only have to come down for the KO2 part on one day. Means you wont spend a small fortune at a Hotel.

At the moment we are expecting about 19 people, with 6 of those being newbies but we would like double that amount to really invigorate not only Kick Off 2, but retro gaming in general:

Please register!!

http://ko-gathering.com/forum/viewto...p?f=12&t=14689

So instead of being bored at home on a Sunday, wondering what's going on in Birmingham, come down for a laugh and a pint.
Old 21 April 2008, 22:41   #8
Sober1977

Just to let you all know that the venue for the Kick Off part of this has been changed.

It now takes place at the Holiday Inn, in Oldbury. Just off Junction 2 of the M5.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/...questid=424153

You dont have to attend both days, but if you fancy staying overnight. PM me for details on how you can get money knocked off your stay at the Holiday Inn.
Old 29 April 2008, 22:50   #9
gdh82

As one of a number of Brummies, I'll well up for this tourney. No chance of winning the damn thing of course, but you can't beat the atmosphere of getting together with mates who enjoy a laugh as well the odd game of KO2!

Within the KOA there's players from Glasgow to Portsmouth, Cardiff to Norwich as well as groups around London, Hertford, Reading, Birmingham, Dudley, Stafford, Sheffield and Manchester. And that's just in the UK!

Wherever you live, keep up to date with the lastest tournament news...

ko-gathering.com/tournaments

... one day you too might just want to join in the fun!

Old 25 May 2008, 13:51   #10
Sober1977

Hiya folks

I know a few people expressed an interest in the 2008, Kick Off 2 UK Champs so I thought I’d make you guys aware as to what happened and what’s in the pipeline in the future!

The tournament did indeed rock and it was one of the most exciting finale’s I’ve ever witnessed with it going right down to the wire. In the end it was decided on goal difference. But more important than that, everyone had a cracking time whether they were playing Kick Off, enjoying free Tea’s, Coffee’s and Cappucino’s or simply kicking back and chilling out in the lobby area (just outside tournament room) where the football was being played on 2 Plasma’s.

Here are the Results]

Here are the Pictures

Here are the Video’s

Hope you enjoy reading and watching what went on. Remember, although the 2008 UK Champs is over for another year that’s certainly not the end of Kick Off this year…infact, it’s only the beginning.

There will still be regular tournaments in the UK as well as over Europe. As I’v said before, if you want to enjoy Retro Gaming, Amiga’s and/or simply having a laugh with like minded people then you’l have a fantastic time.

As well as the UK, other countries have their own tournaments too…

Details of the Nordic Championship: Details of the Nordic Championship

Details of the Italian Championship: Details of the Italian Championship

Regulary online tournaments every Sunday: Regular online tournaments every Sunday

There’s also a fun initative to get a UK player to win the World Cup: http://<a href="http://ko-gathering....12&t=14803</a>

Finally, here’s the biggie…the 2008 World Cup in Athens. If you’v always wanted to go travelling but the cost has always deterred you, then do what I do…attend a KO2 World Cup for 2 days but then stay in the country for a few days or more after. Means you get low cost accommodation plus play a fantastic computer game too. Then you can do what you want after J

Details of the 2008 World Cup in Athens

Hope you’ve enjoyed reading up about all things Kick Off!
Old 12 October 2008, 20:12   #11
Sober1977

Here are the details of the Kick Off World Cup, which this year is being held in Athens.

http://ko-gathering.com/forum/viewto...p?f=12&t=14611

Why not do what I'm doing...attend the World Cup for the first 2 days and then spend 3 days sight seeing around Greece.

Great thing about this is that you get preferential rates at the Hotel due to the World Cup so it's in effect, a Holiday on the cheap! Not bad in these credit crunch times

In addition, the World CUp has players of all ranges.