English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 September 2013, 23:21   #1
trydowave

Problems installing OS3.9 on Winuae

I followed this guide and I installed a nice updated version of 3.1 - classic wb ADVSP. Ive created an image of the CF so its safe. I then went on to install OS3.9 in winuae.
Installation went fine but after reboot the screen just flashes black and the bottom right hand corner and (the bit that says power) flashes and then it reboots.
I've supplies a copy of the log.
Anyone know whats happening.
P.s. incase classicwb was causing issues I decided to try it from my normal 3.1 installation (I have that backed up). same thing happened.

Please help...
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (9.0 KB, 154 views)
Old 29 September 2013, 00:11   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

I just installed WB3.9 yesterday and had some trouble getting it to boot on my real 1200 (worked fine in WinUAE). Turns out the new scsi.device in the ROM update caused it to guru and if I commented out setpatch in SS it booted fine.

Did you make the emergency disk and booted from it before you started the 3.9 installation? You cannot install on the boot drive (some files will be locked).
Also, did you get around to installing BB1 and BB2 yet? My scsi.device problem was with BB2.
Old 29 September 2013, 10:59   #3
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

try do edit your startup-qequence and write setpacth noromupdate quiet instead of setpatch quiet perhaps it will help. ????
Old 29 September 2013, 11:22   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

winuaebootlog.txt only contains UAE startup stuff, not emulation start up. You need to enable logging (winuaelog.txt) in Paths or misc panel.

Was already mentioned but I'll also ask: did you install 3.9 correctly by booting from emergency disk?
Old 29 September 2013, 15:20   #5
trydowave

This is the guide I followed:
[ Show youtube player ]
Sorry. But some of the responses are beyond my current knowledge.
I've heard about the boot disk. Is there a guide for setting this up? Wasn't mentioned in the above video.
Ive managed to install OS3.9 now without the emergency disk. But I think I might scrap this as I hear functions will be missing?
Just for fun I tried to install Classic workbench 0s3.9 v28 on top of it, but it was asking me for the os3.9 hdf? Not sure if I have that, but maybe im getting ahead of myself.
For now I think I should start again from scratch and find out how to create the emergency disk.
Old 29 September 2013, 15:29   #6
thomas

This guide is stupid. All files are upper case and write protected. This OS won't work later anyway.

Nevertheless at 1:05 the video shows the selection with "create emergency disk" preseleted. Just click on proceed without selecting anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YouTube.png
Views:	352
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	36973  
Old 30 September 2013, 00:46   #7
trydowave

This is getting quite frustrating...

Ok. I've created the emergency disk. What happens next?

I rebooted winuae with the emergency disk in df0 and I get a flash with something saying unspecified error? Went to fast for me to see....
after I rebooted a couple of times I didn't even get that. I get a message saying emergency disk has a read write error?

I tried to get log by ticking winuaelog.txt in debugging in paths and by ticking winuaelog. in misc but nothing gets created. Im looking in the winuae main directory folder.

pls help...
Old 30 September 2013, 14:15   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Full log path can be seen in Paths panel. Or just click the button next to path after booting.
Old 30 September 2013, 14:30   #9
Vot

I followed this guide..

http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/os39uae.htm

And I got 3.9 installed fine....
Old 30 September 2013, 14:48   #10
thomas

The right link needs an 'l' at the end: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/os39uae.html

This guide is rather old. I am going to make a new one with screenshots soon, but this needs some time.

With the current versions of WinUAE it's rather easy to install 3.9 from scratch. You can mount the CD as real CD drive and boot from the "emergency disk" directory of the CD. No need to make an emergency disk any more, although it does not hurt.
Old 30 September 2013, 16:05   #11
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
The right link needs an 'l' at the end: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/os39uae.html

This guide is rather old. I am going to make a new one with screenshots soon, but this needs some time.

With the current versions of WinUAE it's rather easy to install 3.9 from scratch. You can mount the CD as real CD drive and boot from the "emergency disk" directory of the CD. No need to make an emergency disk any more, although it does not hurt.
Whoops cut/paste fail
Old 30 September 2013, 19:42   #12
trydowave

Hi, Before you make the guide is there any chance you can breify tell me how to do it here. If the new version of winuae can install it from scratch and if an emergency disk dosent have to be created all the better.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post

Old 30 September 2013, 20:28   #13
thomas

Ok, the beginning:

- put the OS 3.9 CD into a CD drive
- select a quickstart config which closely matches your real Amiga
- assure that ROM is version 3.1
- add some RAM. OS 3.9 needs 8 MB at least (2 MB chip + 6 MB fast). The more the better.
- add your Amiga's harddrive as harddrive (or the image as hardfile)
- add D:\OS-Version3.9\Emergency-Disk as directory and change boot priority to 1 (D: is the CD drive with the OS 3.9 CD)
- disable "start in quickstart mode" on the quickstart page and save the config on the configurations page
- click on Start
- a "no disk in DF0" requester appears two times, click on Cancel for both

Now you should be able to run HDToolbox to partition the HDD. Run HDToolbox from the Emergency-Disk, it will ask you which device to use. Select uaehf.device if you didn't change the controller when adding your HDD.
Old 30 September 2013, 21:38   #14
trydowave

Think I got it now... installed OS3.9 with boing bag updates...
Im currently stuck installing Classic workbenchOS3.9 over it. The guide..
here: http://classicwb.abime.net/classicwe...ctionsos39.htm
states that I have to attach a OS3.9 hdf aswell as the system hdf?
System hdf is already provided.
Anyone know how to create a HDF of my hdd?
Thanks
Tony

Last edited by trydowave; 01 October 2013 at 03:01.
Old 01 October 2013, 08:05   #15
thomas

Just attach the HDD instead of the HDF. If you want to install to HDD a HDF would only be a loop way.
Old 01 October 2013, 12:09   #16
trydowave

I originally tried this. The only difference to the guide is that my hdd is called *UAE* rather than DF0. The system.hdf is DH1 as suggested. I cannot change *UAE* to DF1 in winuae.

When I try to install Classic workbench 0s3.9 I get the following message (attached in screengrab) and then it says installation complete. It then asks to remove system.hdf and reboot.

(after a bit more messing around in winuae...)

I've just noticed that "sysem" appears on workbench. I copied the contents of it over to my main C partition which I called workbench (inside that is a folder called system. To be honest I don't know what I'm doing as this didn't work either. Still boots up and looks the same as normal OS3.9 even when copying all those files over?

The guide says to copy over system.hdf from DH1 to DH0. I'm not sure how to do this.

P.s. A question for Toni Wilen: The ram Slider for Z3-fast cannot be changed when I start my OS3.9 config. I change it, than I save configuration and when I reboot it goes back to 0? Quickstart dosent seem to select the right settings either sometimes, for instance I select quick start A1200 and its giving me 68000 cpu and 1.3 ks? The only way I get control over the z3-fast ram slider is selecting one of my old configs (in this instance my A1200 config with 16mb hard disk - from there I can change and save ram) and then boot my hdd with OS3.9 from there. I'm sure its just me not know how to use winuae correctly.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screengrab.png
Views:	330
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	36997  

Last edited by trydowave; 01 October 2013 at 12:14.
Old 01 October 2013, 12:45   #17
demolition
Unregistered User

Your clean WB3.9 installation should be DH0:. Add System.HDF as DH1: (with R/W). Boot from DH0:. In WB, open DH1 and start installation from there. When it is finished, the final installation will reside on DH1: (System.HDF). Remove DH0, change System.HDF to DH0: and boot on your new system.

All the contents of System.HDF can now be copied to the boot partition on your CF card.
Old 01 October 2013, 13:07   #18
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Sorry all, but cant see any good reason why this topic has been opened under "support.WinUAE" thread ...
Is there found any problem regarding WinUAE or it has just been one of another "I dont know how" problem?!

Edit: Just a proposal...
Maybe could be not bad idea to move this into "New to Emulation or Amiga scene" as there inside some useful infos that could be of use for all new members too.

Last edited by amilo3438; 01 October 2013 at 13:19.
Old 01 October 2013, 19:42   #19
trydowave

Should I use HDtools to name the patition DH0 before installation of OS3.9?

Cheers for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Your clean WB3.9 installation should be DH0:. Add System.HDF as DH1: (with R/W). Boot from DH0:. In WB, open DH1 and start installation from there. When it is finished, the final installation will reside on DH1: (System.HDF). Remove DH0, change System.HDF to DH0: and boot on your new system.

All the contents of System.HDF can now be copied to the boot partition on your CF card.
Old 01 October 2013, 20:02   #20
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
Should I use HDtools to name the patition DH0 before installation of OS3.9?
Yes, the device name is set inside HDToolBox. However, you can still change the name after the installation without wiping the contents.