English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 August 2016, 02:29   #1
Marchie

USB drawing tablets

Hi All,

I've been looking up info on Amiga graphics tablets and noticed that the FormAldiHyd driver will work for the Aiptek 8000 tablet, which I just happen to already own.

It is however a USB tablet and I'm wondering if simply putting it into a Rys MkII USB adapter will get it working on an Amiga or not.

Does anyone out there have any experience with USB tablets and Amigas?

Is it possible to chop a USB cable and solder it to a serial connector? (this is probably a very ignorant question, but I won't learn if I don't ask)
Old 16 August 2016, 11:52   #2
idrougge

That will only work if your tablet can emulate a mouse, in which case you lose pressure sensitivity.
Old 17 August 2016, 01:25   #3
Marchie

Yeah, not much fussed about pressure sensitivity, would just like to use DPaint without a 'block of soap' in my hand...

Still interested if anyone out there has had experience with USB tablets.
Old 01 October 2016, 22:20   #4
midwan

I've been using FormAldiHyd with a HyperPen 6000, which is Serial only. I'd love to try it out with a USB tablet if I could find one, but so far I haven't.

I'm not sure if it would work with the Rys adapter though, I guess you could give it a try and see? As mentioned above, it might be recognized as a mouse and work right away as such. In such case, do you even need FormAldiHyd at all?

I'm thinking of trying a USB->serial adapter to see if it improves the behavior in my case, as I'm getting some "mismatch when reading from serial" errors every once in a while, which is rather annoying (and interrupts the functionality).
Old 03 October 2016, 13:35   #5
Marchie

The Rys MkII arrived the other day, gave it only a quick try - didn't work straight-up in A1200 or A2000. Haven't tried with drivers installed yet, but I'm not optimistic. I have more pressing issues to solve first, but will keep people posted on my progress.

By the way - the Wacom serial pens I've seen on ebay seem to have a round plug (5-pin?? The serial port on the Amiga is 25-pin is it not?). Will anything labeled as 'serial' such as the rtpad II plug into the Amiga?
Old 04 October 2016, 13:20   #6
idrougge

The Artpad II works with the Amiga, unless you somehow found the Mac version. It should come with a serial connector and a round DIN connector to steal power from the keyboard port, as well as an external power brick to avoid the former.