English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 25 July 2008, 22:47   #1
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Question The SPS Team would release certain games and not others

Hi,

Sorry, I may sound like I am missing something, but I've noticed from the latest (v1.6) DAT from GameBase Amiga that some games were not cited although they have been dumped as IPFs.

Are there any particular reasons why some IPFs are "released" (well, released might not be the best word for it, lended may be) for such projects as Gamebase Amiga, while some can't be found anywhere ?

From the Gamebase Amiga side, it seems that some IPF'd games could not be configured and tested for reasons I think I understand ("Due to lack of manuals, code wheels and the like"), but what about from the SPS Team side ?

I would also like to know if there are certain circumstances when an Amiga coder could directly request an IPF for a particular game.

Note that I don't consider myself a coder, simply an Amiga enthusiast, so the person asking for an IPF in such a rude manner would not be me .
Old 26 July 2008, 00:11   #2
Interceptor

i dont enturely understand this question, but i'll do my best.

IPF files are sent to the contributors of the said game.

i also beleive that there is a DAT file created for projects like gamebase to use, it may just be that the DAT for the last batch hasnt been done and sent to the gamebase team yet.

we have previously sent IPF to authors of a game in question.

does this information help at all?
Old 26 July 2008, 00:47   #3
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
The game IPF which I am thinking about was done in 2003, so I don't think it could figure in a "latest batch". The SPS DAT "jumps" some numbers in the list, if you see what I mean.

Are you saying that may be the owner of that particular game dump didn't allow you to "lend" it to GBA ?
Old 26 July 2008, 00:53   #4
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Okay, since you insist on going on about this, I will say something, although I wasn't going to.

If you had bothered to read the EAB rules, you would know that "CAPS has no part or relationship with image distribution." and that no files were "lent" to GBA. The files in the GBA dat are simply those available through various, unauthorized, thoroughly illegal sources that can also not be discussed on EAB due to aforementioned forum rules you did obviously not read.

SPS (formerly CAPS) only sends copies of IPF images to legal owners of original copies of the games (and possibly copyright holders) and does not release them to the general public.

Can you please drop the subject now?

Last edited by eLowar; 26 July 2008 at 01:05. Reason: Changed TOSEC to GBA since TOSEC was just a mis-nomer in some old GBA DAT filenames.
Old 26 July 2008, 00:53   #5
Interceptor

the owner of that copy of the game (i.e the contributor), is only entitled to receive the ipf of that game. it is not for a contributor to say who we can lend stuff to.

you would do better to ask the gamebase team why the information is missing because i'm sure there are DAT files for this, they dont need to have copies of the software to add support.

i havent used gamebase myself unfortunately.
Old 26 July 2008, 01:00   #6
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
you would do better to ask the gamebase team why the information is missing because i'm sure there are DAT files for this, they dont need to have copies of the software to add support.
Yes, there is a database available from your homepage (I'm referring to the XML database, including XSLT files for various conversions, including to DAT files), although in the past it was not regularly updated (which is entirely beside the point though, and may not be the case anymore). However, copies are actually needed to make sure the configuration used actually works.

One way or another, this entire thread is pointless, because it is based on a complete lack of research. The SPS homepage should give perfect insight into how IPFs are (officially and legally) distributed, and the EAB rules should also give a pretty good clue, as mentioned before.

(Sorry for the annoyed tone, but Interceptor, let me assure you it is not you I'm annoyed at.)
Old 26 July 2008, 01:09   #7
Interceptor

well, i think really this is just about all wrapped up. time to close the lid....